VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

I have a Sony Handycam HDR-CX500V. I record in 1080i AVCHD. When I import my videos (using the included Sony software), there are files in addition to the main AVCHD file: .MODD, .SFK0, and .SFK1. They are only a few KB in size. Can anyone explain what these are? Should I keep them? Are they needed/used for video editing in Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD? Do they contain the GPS info? They clutter my folders and I want to delete them.
    Last edited by brazen; 6th Feb 2011 at 14:11.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Google returned this:

Originally Posted by brazen View Post
    .MODD
    Filext.com: "XML file for Sony Picture Motion."

Originally Posted by brazen
    .SFK0 and .SFK1
    Ungermann on avsforum.com: "These are Vegas files, in particular sound profile (peaks). You can remove them if you don't like having them, Vegas will recreate them if needed. When importing clips into Vegas notice the bar on the bottom left: building peak files, that is what it is doing, creating these files."
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks Case. Google also says this about the .MODD extension:

This file is used to store information on video taken with various Sony Camcorder models. This file is reported to accompany a .m2ts file (See links section below).
    The mysterious .MODD file appears to contain information regarding dates and time-lines related to your recording. Attempts to delete these files in order to improve video archiving have resulted in loss of time-line data and some claim to have experienced a loss of audio data.
    Guess I'll just deal with them.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Total bull. Sony just wants to leave their footprint is how I see it. They typically leave such files with other apps too.

The files may have certain info regarding time, date, file type, etc, but they are not necessary for archiving, or even editing, your actual video.

You would need certain auxilliary files with your M2TS videos if you want to play them on blu-ray, but a blu-ray muxing/authoring program can create them for you, which are not the files you mentioned and won't help in this process anyway.

They say some have lost audio data? What does that mean?

I'd personally delete them, but if you're feeling uneasy, just store them on a separate folder since they're not big in file size. At least this way they won't be an eye sore.
    Last edited by PuzZLeR; 7th Feb 2011 at 01:43.
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Structure explained here
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AVCHD
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  6. The MODD are Sony XML files as stated above and the SFK files are Sony Vegas data files. You can delete them, but when you open your video file again in Vegas, it will create more (and will take longer to "analyze" the file)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Files are one thing, but if it slows down the app considerably, I would just call support and ask for a way to disable this feature that generates them.
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote