VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a corrupt drive and anything I try will take weeks, I am not that bothered to recover the content and I can get it again but is there an easy quick way, to get just a list of whats on the drive? Many thanks
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    USED TO BE A UK Equipment owner., NOW FINISHED WITH VHS CONVERSIONS-THANKS
    Quote Quote  
  2. Long long back I have came across one utility-ware which can generate a text file-list, I also do not remember for which OS as well.
    Also note that data written on bad sectors of HDD is hard to recover.

have a look here http://softwaresolution.informer.com/Free-Directory-List-Maker/
    this might help!
    Last edited by enim; 12th Mar 2014 at 22:42.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    This task is incredibly easy under Linux or Unix. One could install the free Cygwin toolkit (http://www.cygwin.com) and then simply run something like this

ls -al D:\ > c:/SOME_DIRECTORY/file-list.txt

assuming D: is the drive to get the file list from and SOME_DIRECTORY is the name of some directory to place the file list in.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    As long as the drive works mechanically, you can use Reatogo to access the drive from outside Windows; download the ISO from my link, burn to a CD and boot with it in your DVD drive. Make sure the BIOS is set to 1st boot device=CD. Be patient, it takes a couple of minutes to load. You will get a Windows XP screen and your hard drive will have an icon on the desktop. From there you will be able to cruise your hard drive. You may even be able to salvage some of your data, just drag & drop to a flash drive. This may not work if the C:\ partition itself is corrupted or your drive has failed mechanically.
    Quote Quote  
  5. If all you want is a list of filenames all OS' have that functionality otherwise they wouldn't be very good at managing files. Like Jman98 says, Unix/Linux has the LS command, all Microsoft OS' use the DIR command. Open a command prompt box (or Win Key+R then type CMD) and type this (or copy/paste):

Code:
    dir /ogn /s /b  d:\ > %USERPROFILE%\desktop\Filelist.txt
    You will get a file called Filelist on your desktop with a complete listing of all the files on the D drive sorted by folder name and file name. Check what is the actual drive letter in your case and replace d:\ with whatever it should be.
    Quote Quote