VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi... I'm new here, but ive always been around here looking for guides and support. But this is my first post in the forum.

Im having problems when adding subtitles to VCD and DVD.

First ive tried to get my AVI files and convert to MPEG with TMPGEnc and directvobsub, but when I open the video in TMPGEnc it crashes...
    So I tried using TMPGEnc and ffdshow, it worked but the subtitles with ffdshow are horrible.
    Then I tried to use TMPGEnc Xpress with DirectVobsub, and the subtitle looked perfect, but when i watch the movie I find out that many subtitles were missing. Ive tried DVobsub 2.37 and 2.33 and nothing.
    Now i tried to convert the AVI to MPEG with the TMPGEnc and add the subtitles with DVDlab. But the DVDlab subtitles are more horrible than the fddshow ones.

I was looking in the forum and saw many other users with the same problems and found no solution.

Here is how the subtitles look like with DirectVobsub:
    http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/4968/vobsubeh0.jpg

And here with DVDlab:
    http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/254/dvdlavsubcg3.jpg

What other options I have ?
    If someone knows how to fix the DirectVobsub missing subtitles problem i prefer this ones xD

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Have you tried altering the appearance in DLP ? I know my subs don't look that ugly
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I'll move this to our Subtitles Forum where you might get more views.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try setting your subtitle to Smooth Vector under Global Font and Style.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Problems like missing subtitles are often caused by errors such as overlapping times.
    Subtitle Workshop has a "Information and errors" function that can help sort that out.

As for the look, a lot depends on the choice of fonts, sizes, and colours.

It seems 95% of people use Arial, which is the default for no good reason other than it starts with "A". Of common Windows fonts, Verdana and Tahoma are much better, but many other possibilites exist.

The ones you showed with DVDLab are ugly becasue they aren't anti-aliased. I expect there's a way to do that, but I don't use DVDLab.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Smooth Vector will clean them up. I prefer Tahoma myself. DLP can also high-light over-lapping times and other issues.

However if you are working with subs and you don't have Subtitle Workshop installed you should stand in the corner and feel foolish for5 minutes.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Wow... I liked this forum a lot ^^
    Ive posted this yesterday night and today at morning i have many answers thanks.

Well... I use Subtitle Workshop too and i also use the CTRL + I to see if there is errors. And all my subtitles have no errors. So its not overleaping problems.

Ive tried all the styles that DVDlab offers and all of them looks ugly. The problem is that the subtitles are not smooth and kind of transparent.

I gave up trying to use DVDlab subs and now im encoding with ffdshow with another style and fot to see if it looks good.

Thanks for everyone and ill post here if the subs get better ^^
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, Ive finished converting with TMPGEnc Xpress + fddshow and now the subtitles looks great. I don't know why before my subs with fddshow were ugly, but now its perfect.
    I watched some minutes of the video and found no subs missing. I hope i wont find nevermore ^^

Thanks!
    Quote Quote