VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all. I have an odd problem. I burned many discs of HD video (mostly sports) two to three years ago taking mkv files and using mkv2vob to convert them for burning in ImgBurn. The discs were played in my PS3 at 720p or 1080i and I was a happy boy.

Unfortunately, I must have forgotten something because I cannot for the life of me have success today. For all duel layer burns and most single layer I am getting a blank (black) screen, but I can hear the audio just fine.

My process...

I take the mkv, convert using mkv2vob...

I then use ImgBurn to create an HD disc on normal DVD (shows as AVCHD when inserted into my PS3). Here is the guide I am now using...

http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=9512

That is not the same guide I used years ago. Where that guide now is I have no idea.

What am I doing wrong?

In the past two days I have created two successful single layer burns, but six coasters and two duel layer coasters (I won't attempt duel layer again unless I get single layer licked).

What I am sure of is that this is NOT due to my DVD burners (I have two and tested both) nor is is the fault of the media, as I have tried Sony, Verbatum and even cheap Memorex.

If there is a better, easier way to do this, I am all ears. If i am doing something stupid, or if perhaps there is something that could me messed up about my PS3, then clue me in.

My PS3 outputs 720p, 1080i and 1080p to my 1080p DLP (it accepts any signal other than 50hz Euro).
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Can you play the avchd with vlc or mpchc? Select to open a folder and choose the bdmv folder.

YOu can also try others mkv to avchd converters like avchdcoder or https://www.videohelp.com/tools/sections/all-in-one-mkv-to-mp4-avchd-ts
    Quote Quote  
  3. I have output type as file and transcoding codec as MPEG-2. Also, I have 'Always transcode DTS' checked. Except when there's some odd audio (MP2, most often) and I have to reencode the audio before MKV2VOB will accept it, it always works on the PS3.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by msp1518 View Post
    What I am sure of is that this is NOT due to my DVD burners (I have two and tested both) nor is is the fault of the media, as I have tried Sony, Verbatum and even cheap Memorex.

If there is a better, easier way to do this, I am all ears. If i am doing something stupid, or if perhaps there is something that could me messed up about my PS3, then clue me in.
    You have multiple problems here.
    1) Your recent attempts to create AVCHD discs are not showing the video when you play them. That is issue number one.
    2) Your 2nd issue is that you have made 2 successful burns out of 10 discs. These may not necessarily be related, although they could be.

To make things worse, you have decided that you are "sure" that your media and burner are NOT the problem. You got 8 coasters out of 10 discs, but your media AND burners CANNOT be to blame??? Ooooooohhhhhhhhkkkkkkkkaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy....

I've found that once posters start telling us what their problems are NOT that their minds are pretty closed. So I'm done here. Now if you want to post again and admit that you are willing to consider that part of your problem might be your burners or media, then maybe someone else will help you. But I've had my fill of people here recently with closed minds so I'm done with this thread.

I will give you one final suggestion. You might post a dump from MediaInfo of one of your source files that produced a disc that only has audio. Someone else might be able to determine if there's an issue with your source.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, jman98, you did not understand. You assumed. So you need to chill. I'm chilled. So chill.

The two successful burns can be repeated. Those two titles/video/files/whatever you wanna call them... Can be burned again and work just fine.

ALL the burns went 100%, but when I play them, two videos played perfectly. The others did not. These are all separate videos. NOT THE SAME VIDEOS.

I don't know how I can more clear on this, but I'll try: I have many many many mkv's and have been going through them, one by one. Two converted and then burned perfectly (as in, they play on my PS3 to me TV). The others did not. I have blank video on them, but perfect audio.

When I used to do this, I had zero issues. No problems at all. So I am trying to solve WHY that is.

Manano, DTS works a-ok. One of the successful burns is of a flick with DTS sound. It was fine. I can always go ahead and try the other setting and see what happens, of course.

As for using MPEG2, that is a codec that'll increase my file size, yes? If it goes up more than just a tiny bit, I'll be over the duel layer size limit.

Baldrick, I'll have a look at them. I have a full DVDfab on my system and wonder if anything in there can help me.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by msp1518 View Post
    As for using MPEG2, that is a codec that'll increase my file size, yes? If it goes up more than just a tiny bit, I'll be over the duel layer size limit.
    It doesn't reencode it. It just muxes it into an MPEG container. Inside is the same stuff it had originally and the size is virtually unchanged. I'll post a MediaInfo tree for one of them that the PS3 accepts:

General
    ID : 1
    Complete name : D:\Downloads\Churchill's Desert War-The Road To Alamein.mpg
    Format : MPEG-TS
    File size : 1.98 GiB
    Duration : 1h 28mn
    Overall bit rate : 3 187 Kbps
    Maximum Overall bit rate : 35.5 Mbps

Video
    ID : 4113 (0x1011)
    Menu ID : 1 (0x1)
    Format : AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile : High@L4.1
    Format settings, CABAC : Yes
    Format settings, ReFrames : 5 frames
    Bit rate : 2 613 Kbps
    Width : 1 280 pixels
    Height : 720 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16/9
    Frame rate : 25.000 fps
    Resolution : 24 bits
    Colorimetry : 4:2:0
    Scan type : Progressive
    Writing library : x264 core 128 r2216 198a7ea
    Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=5 / deblock=1:-1:-1 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=umh / subme=8 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.15 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-3 / threads=18 / lookahead_threads=3 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=2 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=25 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=50 / rc=crf / mbtree=1 / crf=21.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=69 / qpstep=4 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.0

Audio
    ID : 4352 (0x1100)
    Menu ID : 1 (0x1)
    Format : AC-3
    Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 448 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Channel positions : L R
    Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    OK. Maybe this has been the problem all along. Like I said, it was about 2 years ago that i did this and in that time I forgot what I did. Let me try and I will report back.

UPDATE: Failure. I still have the exact same results. the two video files that worked work. Those that did not, don't.

I've also tried DVDfab's Blu-Ray Creator (I think that's what it's called) on one file and while the video was fine, the audio had massive dropouts. Constant. Every one to two seconds.
    Last edited by msp1518; 10th Nov 2012 at 17:27.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Post the MediaInfo as I did, for one that doesn't work. Have you been updating your PS3 firmwares? Maybe some features have become available more recently? I'm far from an expert on this, but have no trouble making them work (with the odd audio problems that I can usually figure out).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    OK, I am a bit confused. What am I using that program on? The original mkv? I'm a bit lost. I've been at this for two days straight, non-stop and I am exhausted. I think my wife is going to kill me, but i cannot believe that this is so damned difficult. it shouldn't. I built my fricking computer from scratch! That should be much harder than this.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by msp1518 View Post
    Ok, jman98, you did not understand. You assumed. So you need to chill. I'm chilled. So chill.
    Your private message to me just confirms what I said. I'm done here. Oh - I do apologize for not being able to read your mind. Actually I don't.

Note that at no time did you follow my suggestion to post MediaInfo data here. You're another one of those people who don't want help, you just want validation. Good luck. manono has infinite patience for bs and posters with attitudes (this is not to his credit in my opinion) so lucky you. It takes a lot to make him give up, but it might interesting to follow the thread and see if he gets tired of your attitude too.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You continue to be an impatient, assumptive jerk. Your very first post wasn't to ask questions, it was to scream at me and make accusations. you did not even try to be helpful.

Thankfully, I am starting to have success. Manono has been the key to that because he came in here and was helpful. So very public thanks for Manono. I will have more info tomorrow. My wife has been asking to use the PC so I really do need to be nice and turn it over to her.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Open one of the ones that should work but doesn't in MediaInfo (File->Open->File). Then go View->Tree and post here what it says. There's perhaps some settings being used by the encoder that the PS3 doesn't like. But to tell you what that is may be up to someone else. All the ones I download (TV episodes mostly) just work.

There are several guides on the VideoHelp.com page for MKV2VOB, including this one that uses pretty much the same settings as I do:

http://www.digital-digest.com/articles/mkv2vob_PS3_MKV_Playback_Guide_page1.html

And if none of that helps, there's another program that prepares MKVs for the PS3 called PS3Muxer. Maybe you'll have better luck with it:

https://www.videohelp.com/tools/PS3Muxer
    Quote Quote  
  13. You were asked what happens when you try to play one of the problem disks ON THE PC.

This is a very important test as it removes the playback device from the equation. The PC will play anything functional ans is not picky about standards.

That plus the MediaInfo results will give some useful information.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just got up. When I stick them into my PC I get a strange error that nothing can play the discs (this is of course an auto-play setting). However, all can be played with VLC if I open them there.

Late last night I had much more success using DVDfab. I did five different videos and four are fine. One has stuttered video. All single layered. I don't want to risk duel layer platters just yet.

I'll get some breakfast and then try MediaInfo and post back.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Useful info would include WHAT PROGRAM gave the unable to play msg, PLUS the EXACT, SPECIFIC wording of that error.

What this does show is that you do NOT have disks that will not play, you have disks that will not play IN THE PS3.

Completely and totally different, that would be why this test was the FIRST ONE that was suggested, by one of the more knowledgeable people on this site.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I never said the issue was not being playable on the PC. My issue has been form the start that they were not playable on the PS3. I made that very clear in the first post.

As for the error, it looks like Windows was confused and wanted to open both DVDfab and PowerDVD at the same time. That caused a crash. I have since changed the autostart to PowerDVD and the discs do play. ALL of them play. Even the ones that give me blank screens on the PS3.

The issue is something about the way in which these are being created has been giving me trouble with the PS3, despite the fact that when I did burns prior, I had no trouble. Same method I used before, but blank screens on playback.

Here is the data on one of the videos that has given me trouble (from the actual mkv file before I put it through mkv2vob). If I did something wrong in how this was captured I would appreciate patience. This is the first time I have used the program...

Complete name : X:\HD Video\MKV and x264 files\Tiger.mkv
    Format : Matroska
    Format version : Version 2
    File size : 2.05 GiB
    Duration : 1h 32mn
    Overall bit rate : 3 167 Kbps
    Encoded date : UTC 2011-06-17 05:08:53
    Writing application : mkvmerge v4.6.0 ('Still Crazy After All These Years') 编译于 Mar 10 2011

02:50:32
    Writing library : libebml v1.2.0 + libmatroska v1.1.0

Video
    Format profile : High@L4.1
    Format settings, ReFrames : 4 frames
    Muxing mode : Header stripping
    Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
    Bit rate : 1 888 Kbps
    Height : 690 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 1.85:1
    Frame rate mode : Constant
    Frame rate : 24.000 fps
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.089
    Stream size : 1.18 GiB (58%)
    Writing library : x264 core 114 r1924 08d04a4
    Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=3 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x133 / me=umh / subme=7 /

psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11

/ fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=6 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 /

constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 /

weightp=2 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=24 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=40 / rc=2pass / mbtree=1 /

bitrate=1888 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=69 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / ip_ratio=1.40

/ aq=1:1.00
    Default : Yes
    Forced : No

Audio #1
    ID : 2
    Mode extension : CM (complete main)
    Format settings, Endianness : Big
    Codec ID : A_AC3
    Bit rate : 640 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 6 channels
    Channel positions : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
    Bit depth : 16 bits
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Stream size : 425 MiB (20%)
    Title : Chinese
    Language : Chinese

Audio #2
    ID : 3
    Mode extension : CM (complete main)
    Codec ID : A_AC3
    Bit rate : 640 Kbps
    Bit depth : 16 bits
    Stream size : 425 MiB (20%)
    Title : Cantonese
    Default : No
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    And here is one that worked, where I had picture, but the sound was filled with dropouts. Created by mkv2vob then burned via ImgBurn. I've since successfully created one using DVDfab, but the subtitles did not come with it. They are not from an .srt file. The subs are somehow part of the mkv and can turned on or off (say using VLC Media Player or when playing with my Egreat to my TV).

If my terminology is off I would appreciate not being slammed for it. I'm doing the best I can.

Complete name : X:\HD Video\MKV and x264 files\hosts.mkv
    Format : Matroska
    Format version : Version 1
    File size : 2.90 GiB
    Duration : 1h 25mn
    Overall bit rate : 4 985 Kbps
    Movie name : hosts_[720p,BluRay,x264,DTS-ES]_-_THORA
    Encoded date : UTC 2007-09-04 17:34:27
    Writing application : mkvmerge v2.1.0 ('Another Place To Fall') built on Aug 19 2007 13:40:07
    Writing library : libebml v0.7.7 + libmatroska v0.8.1
    Attachment : Yes / Yes / Yes / Yes

Video
    Format profile : High@L5.1
    Format settings, ReFrames : 13 frames
    Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
    Duration : 1h 23mn
    Bit rate : 4 250 Kbps
    Height : 688 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 1.85:1
    Frame rate mode : Constant
    Frame rate : 23.976 fps
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.201
    Stream size : 2.40 GiB (83%)
    Title : hosts
    Writing library : x264 core 56 svn-667C
    Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=10 / deblock=1:-3:-3 / analyse=0x3:0x133 / me=umh / subme=7 / brdo=1 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=0 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=2 / deadzone=21,11 / chroma_qp_offset=0 / threads=3 / nr=0 / decimate=0 / mbaff=0 / bframes=10 / b_pyramid=1 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / wpredb=1 / bime=1 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=25 / scenecut=40(pre) / rc=2pass / bitrate=4250 / ratetol=1.0 / rceq='blurCplx^(1-qComp)' / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / ip_ratio=1.40 / pb_ratio=1.30 / aq=1:0.7:15.0
    Language : Japanese

Audio
    ID : 2
    Format : DTS
    Format/Info : Digital Theater Systems
    Mode : 16
    Codec ID : A_DTS
    Duration : 1h 23mn
    Bit rate : 755 Kbps
    Bit depth : 24 bits
    Stream size : 449 MiB (15%)
    Title : DTS-ES 6.1 768 kbps

Text #1
    ID : 3
    Format : ASS
    Codec ID : S_TEXT/ASS
    Codec ID/Info : Advanced Sub Station Alpha
    Compression mode : Lossless
    Language : English

Text #2
    ID : 4
    Language : Romanian

Text #3
    ID : 5
    Language : Swedish

Text #4
    ID : 6
    Language : French

Text #5
    ID : 7
    Language : Italian

Text #6
    ID : 8
    Language : Spanish

Text #7
    ID : 9
    Language : Portuguese

Text #8
    ID : 10
    Language : German

Text #9
    ID : 11
    Language : Polish

Text #10
    ID : 12
    Language : Czech

Text #11
    ID : 13
    Language : Hungarian

Text #12
    ID : 14
    Language : Slovenian

Text #13
    ID : 15
    Language : Estonian
    Quote Quote  
  18. As I said, if there's something about the one that doesn't work in the PS3, then someone else will have to spot it.

Sometimes I get one that just crashes MKV2VOB. Something about TSMuxer which it uses. I run it through MKV2AC3 and then it works. MKV2AC3 is a program to fix unsupported audio to something that both MKV2VOB and the PS3 accept. But it also remuxes and sometimes when there's nothing at all wrong with the audio, after running it through MKV2AC3 then MKV2VOB can process it and it'll play fine on the PS3. This doesn't really address your core problem, but it's the last of my ideas. Sorry. The audio may get reencoded, but the video stays the same, and is only remuxed, but in a way that both MKV2VOB and the PS3 like.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search PM
    I realise this is a digup from the past, I'm having exactly the same issues.

...don't even want advice to be honest, just wanted to say well done, gg to manono for having a go, and to jman98; I hope you've matured, because good god you read like an utter utter wanker in this.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Interesting opinion, but did you happen to notice that the original poster never bothered to follow up on any more diagnostics or give any info on how, and if, the problem was solved? Have you done enough hundreds of these where you would be willing to bet money that the problem the OP was so sure it could NOT be, namely the disks or burner, was most likely the source of the issue?

Did you notice the OP had to be asked several times to perform the simplest of playback tests on the PC, and my personal favorite, the fact that the two disks which DID play back, "perfectly fine", suddenly in his 8th or 9th post, are full of audio dropouts?

Tell you what, YOU deal with a few hundred such "utter wankers", for free, for a few years, then get back to me and we'll see if YOUR opinions, and attitude, have been adjusted.
    Quote Quote