VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I was on the Staples website and I saw they had some ddr2 memory sticks made by a company called "approved memory". I found this website here

http://www.approvedmemory.com/

but has anyone ever used their memory sticks before? I cannot find much of any other info about them. I know the old saying of "you get what you pay for" but there is a big difference in price for these compared to a more known name brand (and I do know sometimes the price difference is just for the name of the brand only)

If anyone has more info or experience with their products please let me know--thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Keep in mind that there are only a few companies that actually manufacturer DRAM. All the smaller companies buy chips from them. Try them. If they don't work return them for a refund.
    Quote Quote  
  3. sounds like a plan. I am needing ddr2 4gig SINGLE stick. My msi board (only has 4 mem slots) can hold up to 16gb ram. But I can only max it at 8 gigs for my win 7 64 if I do not go with 4 gig singles. Of the few I did find I see them as very pricy until I came across the ones mentioned. Though only at pc2-5300, 10-12gbs still should run smoother for some things than 8 gigs at 6400
    Quote Quote  
  4. In my opinion you won't see much difference in performance between 8 GB and 12 GB (except in some specific circumstances). Especially since you'll be adding slower memory and not in pairs.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Don't mix your ram with other brands,get 2x4 gb and another 2x4gb when you can afford it,make sure they are the same model ram,also 98% of all mother boards have 4 ram slots or less.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I would def never mix the ram chips. Right now I have 4 chips at 2gb each pc2-6400. One thing I am noticing with the single 4gig is that they all seem to be at pc2-5300. Not sure if ones with a higher mhz do exist like that, but the prices for what I do see are very high.

I was thinking in terms of encoding video or even doing some hd encoding, that the extra ram could not hurt, but it seems unless I step up with a new mobo that can use ddr3 I am limited to either 8 gigs or spend a small fortune down the road to up it to 16 with a lesser mhz
    Quote Quote  
  7. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If you were to check Windows Task Manager while video encoding, you would likely notice that most all encoders only use about 2 -3 GB RAM while encoding. Adding more RAM won't really make any difference. If you want faster encoding, use a faster CPU or a GPU with hardware encoding.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Glad I posted the question here because it is saving me some money. I may have been looking at this in the wrong light. Coming from the previous world of 32 bit win XP and seeing how much the then (maxed) 4gigs improved everything overall than 2 gigs did, I was looking at it in this sort of sense.

I had assumed that 6-8gigs on win7 64 would be similar to 2gigs on win xp 32. In that those are sort of default standard for both operating systems, but if i added just a bit more ram for win 7 (say 10gigs) I would see a better performance for some functions.

I do know processor and vid card play a huge role, but I also recall the jump my older Xp setup had when I threw in 2 more gigs of ram to give it 4.

So I was kind of working in that sort of analogy, but at any rate will leave well enough alone for now. Overall I am fine with my newer (now a few years older) system setup and processor (intel core 2 duo at 3.16ghz), just thought that you can never really have too much ram (or what your mobo can handle). Thanks again
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by mazinz View Post
    I do know processor and vid card play a huge role
    Your video card plays almost no role in video encoding unless you are using a GPU based encoder -- ie, CUDA, QuickSync, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by mazinz View Post
    I do know processor and vid card play a huge role
    Your video card plays almost no role in video encoding unless you are using a GPU based encoder -- ie, CUDA, QuickSync, etc.
    ahh the vid card I have is the Nvidia geforce 9400GT -I see it mentioned as being a gpu (that it is incorporated into the card). Would that then still be considered an actual GPU based encoder or still just a vid card?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by mazinz View Post
    ahh the vid card I have is the Nvidia geforce 9400GT -I see it mentioned as being a gpu (that it is incorporated into the card). Would that then still be considered an actual GPU based encoder or still just a vid card?
    Download one of the encoders that supports GPU encoding and try it. MediaCoder, for example. In my experience, the GPU encoder quality is poor and x264 at the veryfast preset is both faster and delivers better quality.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by mazinz View Post
    Download one of the encoders that supports GPU encoding and try it. MediaCoder, for example. In my experience, the GPU encoder quality is poor and x264 at the veryfast preset is both faster and delivers better quality.
    so it is basically then just sticking with what I have always used for encoding and the usual settings that go with them (depending) avisynth, henc, tmpg, avs2dvd, virt dub, etc

I used handbrake a few times for x264 encoding-- took a few hours (setting to very slow) but the quality amazed me (since the source was vhs based)

It was for programs like Sony vegas where I figured the extra ram could not hurt.

Well just keep this all in mind should I build (or have to build) another pc
    Quote Quote