VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have got some video from my DV camcorder
    I'm having soooo much trouble over it!!

I like to use Riva Encoder, but for some reason it's not working
    I was hoping someone could have a look at the video and tell me if there's anything wrong with it
    I've attached a miniture version of the video to this message (about 2 secs, resized to 160x120)
    + please tell me what tools to use so that I can examine the video myself (and others) in future

(I used Adobe Premiere Pro to make a different type of AVI, then I used VirtualDub to make into Xvid - it's the only way I could get something that I could work with!)

Thanks

OM

test.avi
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you want to use VirtualDub to Encode to XVID, I suggest using the debugmode frame server
    https://www.videohelp.com/tools/Debugmode_FrameServer
    to frameserve your output from adobe premiere to virtualdub, this will give you superior quality than exporting to an intermediate file first

If one opens your test file in VirtualDub and goes File->File Information
    You will see that the Audio is PCM Uncompressed. This means that a large portion of the file is the audio. You need to ideally compress the audio as well. For example, you can do this by selecting Audio->Full Processing Mode in VirtualDub, and then use Audio->Compression to select the type of audio compression. Mpeg layer 3 (MP3) will give better results.

What is your desired output format? DVD? For the Web? Back to your DV Camcorder?
    Quote Quote  
  3. And what good is a resized interlaced AVI to anyone trying to help you? That sample was resized without taking into account the interlace, and was effectively ruined. Is that what you've been doing to your DV AVIs?

More information, please, about what you're trying to do with the DV AVI source videos and how you're doing it.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    guys thanks for the replies
    i'm used to using virtual dub mod for cutting and editing

my end goal is to get flv files

1. i got the pure avi from the camcorder

2. i tried putting this through riva encoder - no luck
    i also tried adobe encoder, no luck either

3. i tried loading into virtualdub mod, no luck either
    (i was intending to save as xvid and then putting this through riva encoder)

4. i loaded into adobe premiere and managed to get an avi file out

5. i tried loading into riva encoder - it still didn't like it

6. i then loaded into virtual dub mod and was able to read this time
    i created an xvid file finally

7. but: riva encoder still spat it out!!

8. i had some luck with avidemux though (after figuring out how to use it)

9. i still couldn't load the original video source into avidemux though

10. i thought i would also mention, i have installed: panasonic video codec, koepi xvid codec and nothing else - am i missing something?

thanks

let me know if i can give any further info to help solve my problem

any feedback/help would be really really appreciated

thanks
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you want to be able to load your DV avi straight into virtualdub, you should install a DV codec on your PC. Search under the tools section of videohelp, there are couple of free ones.

Alternatively, Get the latest version of virtualdub from
    www.virtualdub.org
    I believe it can load DV avi files without a DV codec.

The DV codec may help with using the DV AVI straight with riva encoder. I am not sure though, as I don't use it

Another tool you could have a look at is AVISynth, you could use this to get your original DV AVI into riva encoder, although again, I am not sure if riva encoder will supoort AVISynth

For best results, you do NOT want to user XVID as an intermediate file format (for input to Riva Encoder), as you lose quality. Do some research on frame serving from VirtualDub to Riva Encoder. Or Look at the AVISynth route. It is also a frame server.

If you MUST use an intermediate file, use either uncompressed, or the HUFFYUV codec (Look under the tools section), or the DV codec once you have installed it. HUFFYUV and uncompressec however create HUGE intermediate files.

I just see you have the panasonic codec installed....Maybe it's not installed correctly.
    Try newest version of VirtualDub and/or Avisynth
    Quote Quote  
  6. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    VD Mod should open a DV-AVI with no problems. The Panasonic DV codec is for encoding to DV. Otherwise the OS system DV codec is used for decoding, AFAIK. VD Mod also wants Type-2 DV, though it wouldn't open it if it wasn't. The newer VDs can use Type-1 or Type-2. I would also suggest the Cedocida DV Codec as it works a bit better than Panasonic's, though for what you are doing, it shouldn't matter.

I would agree about frameserving the edited DV out from VD to your chosen encoder. That saves some hard drive space and a encoder is more likely to accept the stream with less problems.

You may have mentioned it, but I use WinDV to get the DV video to my hard drive from it's source, then process it with VD Mod, then frameserve that to my encoder, usually for DVD/MPEG conversion.

I don't have much experience with FLV, so no help there.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    redwudz: Wasn't there something about the Panasonic codec being 'broken,' though, in that it might tell the system it can play certain types of videos (encoded using other codecs), even though it can't?
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote