VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Does hauppauge still make any cards with RCA composite video in? I cannot seem to find any on newegg.com

If not, anyone know if I can run the general TV out cable (the coax) from the VCR-OUT to the TV-IN of a hauppauge card and record that way?

In the process of building a new PC and still sitting on old VHS tapes I need to convert. Want to do it cheaply/effectively.

THANKS!

BTW, on my old PC I have something called (in device manager) win tv pvr pci II (26xxx) Happy to use this but just not sure if it'd work with Windows 7. It's REALLY REALLY old and according to the site most likely will not work in a windows 64 bit system which mine will be.
    Last edited by 123fish123; 23rd Jun 2014 at 18:01.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Some of the HD-PVR family of products, which includes the internal Colossus card, can record via composite. The HD-PVR and Colossus can. Some or maybe all (not sure which, but at least some) of the HD-PVR2 models can't.

The internal Colossus card has a hidden TBC you can turn on with a registry hack. I've found it to be very helpful when recording old VHS tapes.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hmmmm...looking like a little more than I want to spend. I hope I'm not out of luck here. The backup solution is VCR through Video Cam to firewire....but that's just a fallback. Really hoping I can find a 64bit card that can read the VGS coax and/or composite out...
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks usually_quiet. I assume I want hardware for Vegas with an NVIDA card. I'll take a look at these and see if I can run them. I"m assuming the PCI card would allow the coax out of the VCR to run to the coax in since it has no RCA inputs? Any thoughts on that?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by 123fish123 View Post

BTW, on my old PC I have something called (in device manager) win tv pvr pci II (26xxx) Happy to use this but just not sure if it'd work with Windows 7. It's REALLY REALLY old and according to the site most likely will not work in a windows 64 bit system which mine will be.
    I actually have that device in my Windows 7 64bit machine. You have to use the driver for Vista but it will work and it has the "RCA composite video in" that you are looking for. And apparently you already own it, so end of search.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That's great news OldMan64. Always great to find someone who has done exactly what you're looking to do. Do you know what model driver you have? I checked the Hauppauge site and they have a PVR-150, 250, 350, etc. My device manager just calls it a pvr pvi ii (26xxx). Maybe there's a model listed on the card itself (not home or i'd check it out)?
    Quote Quote  
  7. I believe it is the same driver as for the PVR-150 group of devices. The driver is listed as Hauppauge 2.0.48.25037. Just Google that info and it is easily available.
    Also available here: http://www.hauppauge.com/site/support/support_pvr150.html
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks! You know I DID see that and wrote it off because it said it would only work with <4 GB or RAM. My build will have 8GB RAM to start. Do you know what you're running (over or under 4gb?) Seemed really strange to have that limit.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by 123fish123 View Post
    Thanks usually_quiet. I assume I want hardware for Vegas with an NVIDA card. I'll take a look at these and see if I can run them. I"m assuming the PCI card would allow the coax out of the VCR to run to the coax in since it has no RCA inputs? Any thoughts on that?
    The PCI-e cards (Hauppauge WinTV HVR-1250 and Hauppauge WinTV HVR-2250) have an adapter cable that plugs into what looks like an S-video port to provide composite and stereo audio connections.

Notice the "PCI-e", as it is important information. These cards won't work if inserted in a PCI slot. Hauppauge no longer makes any TV tuner cards with a PCI interface. The Hauppauge WinTV HVR-1850, Hauppauge WinTV HVR-1800 and Hauppauge WinTV HVR-1600 were the final cards made with a PCI interface, but they are no longer in production.

I don't use Vegas and don't know if it will capture video from anything other than a camera, but the Hauppauge USB-Live-2 Video Capture is the one that is most likely to work with third-party capture software.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 24th Jun 2014 at 09:46.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by 123fish123 View Post
    Thanks! You know I DID see that and wrote it off because it said it would only work with <4 GB or RAM. My build will have 8GB RAM to start. Do you know what you're running (over or under 4gb?) Seemed really strange to have that limit.
    I have only 4GB in that PC, but I would try it anyways. I really do not know how that can make a difference but maybe you can share after you try it.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by OldMan64 View Post
    I have only 4GB in that PC, but I would try it anyways. I really do not know how that can make a difference but maybe you can share after you try it.
    I don't know about that particular capture device but the 4GB restriction is for 32 bit drivers. Even when running on a 64 bit OS 32 bit drivers can only access the first 4 GB of memory. If the driver is told to DMA to physical memory beyond that it will fail.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_memory_access
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, I tried it and it looks like if I use WinTV I can pull the video feed through...however neither Vegas or Windows Movie Maker recognize the device. OldMan64, what software are you using to capture from the device?
    Quote Quote  
  13. While I have not actually used it in that manner on this PC, the device does show up as a capture device in both VLC and VideoPad. Before I rebuilt the PC, I had Roxio installed and used the capture function in that suite. I do not have Roxio on this build and not many here on VideoHelp would approve of that software, either. I do not have Vegas or Windows Movie Maker, so I cannot test that for you.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Hardware encoding capture devices usually don't work with third party capture applications.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My experiences with a capture device that can only hardware encode match what jagabo wrote. I have the Hauppauge WinTV HVR 2250. VLC and some other capture software detect it as a capture device but they cannot capture with it because of the hardware encoder.

Capture devices that use software for encoding usually work with a wide variety of capture software because the software can substitute its own encoders, multiplexers and file writers for the ones that the maker includes with the device. There is no opportunity to do that for devices that can only hardware encode because the only output these devices can produce is compressed video. ...but since hardware encoders and multiplexers are not standardized, the capture software won't know how to use them unless it was written to specifically to support that particular capture device.

Because your card is so old, Hauppauge's WinTV 7 software may not support it. WinTV2000 is probably 16-bit software and won't run on a Windows 7 64-bit system, if that is what you have. Your only option may be to create a capture graph with GraphEdit or GraphStudio.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks all! So maybe I should ask a different question. I am looking to convert VHS to DVD so I need a capture card capable of capturing the VHS via RCA plug or other input (not s video as my VCR has no such output). I don't need a TV tuner per se meaning I am not watching TV/Cable. My SOLE need is VHS out to capture card in. I would LOVE to be able to leverage Sony Vegas and my EVGA 750 card if that matters but hardware/software encoding doesn't matter to me as much as effective price to do what I need to do. Any thoughts on the best economical solution to do this?
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks all! So maybe I should ask a different question. I am looking to convert VHS to DVD so I need a capture card capable of capturing the VHS via RCA plug or other input (not s video as my VCR has no such output). I don't need a TV tuner per se meaning I am not watching TV/Cable. My SOLE need is VHS out to capture card in. I would LOVE to be able to leverage Sony Vegas and my EVGA 750 card if that matters but hardware/software encoding doesn't matter to me as much as effective price to do what I need to do. Any thoughts on the best economical solution to do this?
    If you want a decent, inexpensive capture device for capturing VHS, then get a USB capture device that uses software for encoding The devices below known to work with software other than that provided by the manufacturer. I have no idea if Vegas will work with them because I do not use Vegas, however some editing software is only capable of importing video from cameras.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815116048
    http://www.amazon.com/EzCAP116-Converter-Camcorders-Satellite-Supports/dp/B003YGJLWU/r...8747493&sr=1-1
    http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-SVID2USB2-S-Video-Composite-Capture/dp/B000O5RIWO

DO NOT be tempted get one of the cheaper EasyCap devices that sell for $20 or less. They are junk with no manufacturer support, not even links to update drivers.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks! Amazing,,,I checked these out and checked out the Roxio product as well. They are ALL very hit and miss review wise. Seems like a lot of negatives re: dropped frames and choppy video/audio. Amazing that in 2014 there's not a couple that are widely lauded as great options. Of course part if it could be user error but you'd think if people are buying these products they would be a bit savvy. Hmmmpf!
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!