VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi there,

I apologize if this is posted in the wrong spot but I couldn't quite place it with the descriptions of the sub forums, so thought this might be best.

So here's what I used to do, and what I need to do...

I have a company that does underwater filming for athletes. We used to set up a tivo and have the camera running into the water and it was delayed 45 seconds, so the athlete could swim, hop out, and see what they just did on a tv we had set up. Well, my TIVO went bye-bye

So... I'm curious, is there any way to do this with a laptop? I have an underwater camera that has Y/R/W cables that I run into a handheld camera (a Panasonic, a few years old). I'd need it to playback on a Lenovo R61. Any thoughts on how this might happen? Or do I have to run out and buy another Tivo?

Thanks all! Heard this place was the best for answers on anything. Thanks for your time!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You don't say if it's a DV camera, but if so this thread may be of interest re the Enosoft DV Processor app.

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/299812-Video-Recording-to-laptop-Underwater-camera?...446&viewfull=1
    "Just another sheep boy, duck call, swan
    song, idiot son of donkey kong - Julian Cope"
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I connected by Panasonic camera via Firewire and got it to show up with that Enosoft program. I click "Time Delay" and set my time, but after I start recording, it doesn't show up anywhere. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong but I can't get what the camera sees to show up on my laptop even though the timestamp is running on the program and I can hear the tape churning. Thoughts?
    Last edited by Nathan F150; 30th Jun 2011 at 10:15.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Or, I should say, I can't make it show up bigger than the tiny "OUTPUT" window
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, so I've got all the above figured out... but I can't make it delay the 10 minutes I want to. Anytime I try to go over a couple minutes of delay, as soon as I change the setting, it crashes the program. Any thoughts on how to fix this?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    OK, in the 1st post, you mentioned 45 seconds, but in this last post, you say you want 10 minutes!
    That's big difference. Most apps that would do this would use a RAM buffer. 45sec of DV video (which uses 25Mb/sec) = 45 * 25 / 8 = 140MB which is manageable. 10 minutes is 10 * 60 * 25 / 8 = 1.83GB!!
    That is much more than most 32bit systems have available in free RAM (after running a couple of apps). And I don't think there is a 64bit compiled version of DV processor, so that doesn't surprise me at all that you had problems with it.

Either lower your expectations, get another Tivo, or find another device (like HD or DVD recorder) that can do delayed-read-while-record (it goes by various names). Or maybe a TBC/frame sync with a huge freeze/delay window...

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ah, I didn't realize that was the limitation. And I don't want to record, that's the deal... I just need it to playback. That's what makes the TiVo such an expense for little return. If I have to, I have to, but I'd rather not have to
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can do that with a capture card. I have a Hauppauge USB pvr that with the included WinTV software has a replay buffer that allows you to pause live TV. You could use the buffering to easily watch 10 minutes ago (or any amount you want).
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post
    You can do that with a capture card. I have a Hauppauge USB pvr that with the included WinTV software has a replay buffer that allows you to pause live TV. You could use the buffering to easily watch 10 minutes ago (or any amount you want).
    Thanks! Is this it http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815116030 ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Yeah, that actually should work, since it:
    A. Buffers both to a primary RAM and a secondary Harddrive buffer
    B. Hardware encodes to SD MPEG2 @~4Mbps for reasonable filesizes (and thus buffer sizes).

Most cap cards don't do this, but this is a glorified TV card, and this feature is akin to "instant replay" and rightfully so.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I do it so I can skip commercials. I start watching 20 minutes into the show and can zap the commercials and still end on time.
    Quote Quote