VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm in need of creating something like the underwater "coach cam" at ucca.biz - I can't afford theirs and there has to be a way to do it much cheaper. If anyone has ideas, I'd love to hear them.

I just need to take an image from below water--following a swimmer with the camera--and have it output onto a handheld minidv tape camera I hold up on the side of the pool. I see a lot of fishing underwater cameras but theyre about the same price and they output to a monitor instead of my own camera.

Anyone have any ideas on how to do this? Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I'd strongly suggest the GoPro Hero2-Surf Edition ($299 USD). It costs ~1/2 of the above CoachCam, it is HD instead of SD, has a prosumer video-optimized operation (instead of industrial) and is more versatile & waterproof to greater depths.

If you can't afford that, you should build yourself a kit: 2 front-silvered (aka front surface) mirrors in opposing parallellogram configuration. In other words, a Periscope! Probably cost ~$80-$100 for decent quality (maybe a little more to make it water-tight).
    Code:
     -> \
       | |
       | |
       \  ->
    Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. Go Pro

I use it surfing. 1080p
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Buy an aquarium (fish tank). Do not put any water inside it. Keep the inside dry and place your minidv camcorder inside it. Then place the aquarium on the surface of the water and push it downward a few inches. (It is also easy to tilt and pan in the water.)

If you don't have to go deep, this is an inexpensive and effective means to shoot below the surface of the water. An aquarium is, of course, tightly sealed and can handle water pressure. You'll just be using it in reverse--with the water on the outside instead of inside.

Take it from someone who has shot a lot of underwater swimming pool footage.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Yeah, the hardest part there is rigging the cam so it stays fully INSIDE of the aquarium, and in keeping the aquarium from tilting. Basically like a transparent diving bell.
    Also, watch out if you happen to be inside of it as well that you don't generate too much fogging/condensation on the inner walls.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm talking about the type of aquarium you buy at the pet store for $40. You cannot get inside it, but if you're not too deep, you can stand to the side of it (you'll be in the water) and reach down into the tank to manipulate camera controls. No special rig. Just put the camera at the front end, with lens against the glass. You can tilt down the front end quite a few inches, without any worry of water spilling over the top into the tank. Water pressure keeps the fish tank afloat (making it like a transparent boat, not a diving bell), and you can either press down or use weights to get the lens level as far below the surface at you want. Remember, the camera will be inside a dry tank interior. Only the outside of the aquarium is going to get wet.

This is really not difficult, and the results are highly impressive.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Didn't realize you were talking THAT small of an aquarium! Yup, should work fine. Does have motion constraints though that something like the GoPro Hero wouldn't.

Hey, did anybody see that clip with the dophins following the fishing boat where the GoPro Hero was dragging behind in the water and they're swimming right past/around? Gorgeous!

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    I'd strongly suggest the GoPro Hero2-Surf Edition ($299 USD). It costs ~1/2 of the above CoachCam, it is HD instead of SD, has a prosumer video-optimized operation (instead of industrial) and is more versatile & waterproof to greater depths.

If you can't afford that, you should build yourself a kit: 2 front-silvered (aka front surface) mirrors in opposing parallellogram configuration. In other words, a Periscope! Probably cost ~$80-$100 for decent quality (maybe a little more to make it water-tight).
    Code:
     -> \
       | |
       | |
       \  ->
    Scott
    I would like the GoPro, but unfortunately I need to be able to use it while I am not in the water. I need to be standing on the deck and be able to turn it to follow the swimmer while also seeing the image. The problem I see with the GoPro is I would need to be in the water or have a hand in the water at least, and I still wouldn't be able to see what it was capturing if I did the latter.

The aquarium idea wouldn't be awful except that the water is very wavy when I record the athletes and I fear it would need to be deep enough in the water that a wave could end up inside and ruin the camera
    Quote Quote  
  9. Then just get a cheap water housing off ebay. There are tons
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by videopoo View Post
    Then just get a cheap water housing off ebay. There are tons
    The problem isn't waterproofing a camera underwater. If that were all I needed, I'd get the GoPro or any of the many glorified baggies
    The problem is running the cable from the camera below water to camera above water so I can see it and record it. How do I keep all of that waterproof?
    Quote Quote  
  11. I have friend that built himself a wired diving cam, out of ABS piping, a piece of 1/4" Lexan and some silicone sealant. He placed a high resolution web cam and a USB extender inside, connected it to a laptop on the boat to record and monitor his dive. All the materials are available at your local hardware store.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    Would almost work! Except, again, I have to be able to see from the deck what I'm recording, and their "PowerCam" is the only one that does and it's super expensive
    Quote Quote