VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Bought a Samsung HMX-H205 1920x1080 / 60p camcorder last week.

Have been playing with it a little bit & now I have a question about getting the footage off of the SDHC card and onto a standard definition DVD. My old camcorder that just bit the dust was a standard def. unit, so this is my first experience w/trying to maintain the high-quality footage captured by the new high-def camera, so I'm new w/this.

(1) Is my understanding correct regarding the high-def footage taken by this camcorder pretty much automatically being downgraded to 720x480 once I import it into my editing/authoring package (TMPGenc Authoring Works 4) for output to a standard DVD (4.7 GB)?

(2) What options do I have for trying to maintain the quality of the footage as it was originally stored on the camcorder's memory card in 1920x1080 / 60p once that footage is exported to a standard DVD, or are my options pretty much limited via what my assumption is above in item # 1?

(3) If I purchased a Blu-Ray burner, would I *then* be able to maintain the higher level 1920x1080 / 60p characteristics of the video clips & the incorporate those clips into a BluRay DVD that I'd burn and not see them downgraded to a lesser quality?

(4) How do most of you that have camcorders that record footage to SDHC (or other types of cards) memory cards store the footage once you've extracted it from the memory card? I'm guessing a combination of external hard drives, DVD, and multiple backup copies of one/both type of media?

Thanks in advance for any tips anyone can provide to me. I love the quality of the captured footage on my camcorder as played directly via HDMI connection to our 55-inch LED TV, but as stated above, once I begin offloading that captured footage to DVD, I'm trying to see what my options are for maintaining the high-def characteristics of that footage on the DVD & not having the footage downgraded in quality. From what I'm reading, it seems like if you're taking high-def footage and you're ultimately putting it on a standard 4.7 (or dual-layer) DVD, you're automatically not going to have high-def footage & it's going to be downgraded to what's classified as standard definition footage.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Note that 1080p60 isn't a supported format for blu-ray or avchd (will need to be processed an re-encoded to something compatible like 1080i60, or 720p60 - which are supporte formats)

You don't need a blu-ray burner, you can use hd avchd content on dvd 5/9 media burnt with a red laser.

However you need a blu-ray player and hdtv setup that can playback avchd discs to view it

alternatively you can use a media box like asus oplay, or wdtv , or htpc and forget about optical media
    Quote Quote  
  3. My fault... just checked and the output of my camcorder is 60i, not 60p
    Quote Quote  
  4. 1080i60 is fine, you should be able to use multiavchd to author your disc for example, and will get 1080i60 playback on a proper setup

everything else mentioned above is the same (i.e. you still need blu-ray player, hdtv setup) . In order to make blu-ray on blu-ray media you do need a blu-ray burner.

dvd-video is standard definition, so "regular" dvd players only playback SD.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Okay... thanks... just a summary and another question or two to make sure I'm understanding all of this correctly...

--- Looks like my BluRay player (LG BD390) plays AVCHD disks

--- If I use my software (TMPGenc Authoring Works 4) or the MultiAVCHD software you mentioned, will this software permit for the creation of a DVD navigational menu in the creation of an AVCHD disc (standard 4.7 GB or dual-layer DVD), or is the format such that it's just "stripped-down" & you insert it in the player & have to navigate from filename to filename to play each selected clip?

--- Looks like for purposes of keeping a high-def copy of the footage for my family & I to play on BluRay player as AVCHD format, and possibly distributing a copy of the footage to, let's say, my parents... who have just a standard definition DVD player, I'd have to always create an AVCHD copy for us (via 4.7GB or dual-layer DVD) if we want the high-def footage to play on the BluRay player, and recreate another DVD (via 4.7GB or dual-layer DVD) for my parents, correct?

Many thanks again for the info... it's proving to be very helpful...
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by bmccollum View Post
    --- If I use my software (TMPGenc Authoring Works 4) or the MultiAVCHD software you mentioned, will this software permit for the creation of a DVD navigational menu in the creation of an AVCHD disc (standard 4.7 GB or dual-layer DVD), or is the format such that it's just "stripped-down" & you insert it in the player & have to navigate from filename to filename to play each selected clip?
    Not sure about tmpgenc authoring works, but multiavchd allows for simple menus and xmb style menus. Go to the author's homepage and there are examples & screenshots.

--- Looks like for purposes of keeping a high-def copy of the footage for my family & I to play on BluRay player as AVCHD format, and possibly distributing a copy of the footage to, let's say, my parents... who have just a standard definition DVD player, I'd have to always create an AVCHD copy for us (via 4.7GB or dual-layer DVD) if we want the high-def footage to play on the BluRay player, and recreate another DVD (via 4.7GB or dual-layer DVD) for my parents, correct?
    Yes, this is what most people would do. The fact is, the majority of households in North America still haven't migrated from DVD yet (I mean SD DVD-video).
    Quote Quote  
  7. Wow you're quick to post replies! Many thanks again. I'm generally pretty technically savvy, as I do software development for a living and have for 15+ years. The high-def video stuff though is just brand new to me & I'm a bit lost. Your answers have helped get my train of thought right though...

Quote Quote  
  8. As PDR noted, you could also buy a media player like the WDTV Live or Asus O!Play for both your family and your parents, and and play videos directly from thumbdrive, USB hard drive, or LAN/NAS. No need to author and burn discs that way, though you'll need to transfer the videos to your parents' box (e.g. by handing them a USB hard drive containing the videos).
    Quote Quote  
  9. multiAVCHD would allow you to create AVCHD and write it to DVD disc with menu. It also allows you to use the same content and re-encode it to SD-DVD to burn to DVD for regular DVD players - no menu though.
    Laugh and the world will laugh with you. Cry and you will be alone
    Quote Quote  
  10. I'm unfortunately not having any luck successfully getting my footage from my high-def camcorder into multiAVCHD and onto a regular DVD as an AVCHD disk. My videos are sped-up heavily and the audio is extremely choppy and drops in/out when playing. I've followed the several tutorials on how to do this & seem to have all of the settings set appropriately, but the above is what's happening w/the resulting DVD. Any ideas/suggestions?
    Quote Quote  
  11. I think I read your message @ my forum, but I'll need more info about what your camcoder produces.

It is obvious that the output from your camcoder (1080p60) is not AVCHD/Blu-ray compliant, so you'll definitely need to transcode it to get it to 1080i60 (or 1080p30) to get a working AVCHD DVD.
    Laugh and the world will laugh with you. Cry and you will be alone
    Quote Quote  
  12. At work right now but will post the specs of the clips my camcorder is recording for u to comment on later on tonight. Thanks...
    Quote Quote  
  13. Still at work but just checked the Internet and it states several times on the Samsung HMX-H205 site that the camcorder I purchased indeed saves the clips recorded w/the unit as 1920 x 1080 60i full HD.

I remember clicking "Transcode" last night when I was trying to get a short clip or two onto a regular DVD and I clicked an option where it suggested a recommended bitrate or something like that, I selected that recommended bitrate, and went forward. I can give you more specifics this eve. on exactly what settings/parameters I'm using in trying to create the DVD if you're able to review the info. I give you and make suggestions as to what I may have set incorrect or what I'm doing wrong. Thanks...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bmccollum View Post
    Samsung HMX-H205 site that the camcorder I purchased indeed saves the clips recorded w/the unit as 1920 x 1080 60i full HD
    Could be the audio format which your camera uses AAC, and i think is not part of the Blu-ray format, so you could try transcoding to AC3.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Got some information as a result of posting of an multiAVCHD log file and was advised to adjust my framerate on the clips from 59.94 to 29.97 and that seems to have been the trick to get the videos working properly.
    Quote Quote