VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Man, I've been away from this hobby for a while now. I think I remember I once knew how to do this but not anymore...

If I have a bluray tv series in one big IMAGE file, and I want to separate the episodes into mp4 or Mkv files in order to Plex to stream it. What do I do? How do I first break down the image file. I recall something about mounting the image first, then ripping it again. Please point me to the correct starting gate. LOL! Thank you for your time.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Mount the image file in a virtual drive. Slysoft's Virtual CloneDrive is free to use. Or if you are using Windows 8/8.1, it can mount an ISO without any other software necessary.

Then use MakeMKV to open the movie. It should give you a list of titles. Remove check marks from all but one and rip to an MKV file. Repeat for the others. Output will not be compressed.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Kerry56 View Post
    Mount the image file in a virtual drive. Slysoft's Virtual CloneDrive is free to use. Or if you are using Windows 8/8.1, it can mount an ISO without any other software necessary.

Then use MakeMKV to open the movie. It should give you a list of titles. Remove check marks from all but one and rip to an MKV file. Repeat for the others. Output will not be compressed.
    Thank you. I got started. So even though it's not compressing, does it still take awhile? I was imagining it would zip through without compression, but I'm on the first episode rip and it's taking quite a while. About 6 minutes elapse, says about 29 minutes remaining for a 1.8 gig episode. Does that sound right for a i5 computer?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    BTW, the remaining time will fluctuate, now it keeps increasing. 30 minutes remaining while 20+ have elapsed. Sound normal?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    No, something is off. I just ripped one title from a Blu-ray movie that contains four titles. It took less than a minute to create a 4.3gb MKV file. I'm using an i5, 3570k cpu in my computer.

My Blu-ray was not an ISO however, just files on the hard drive.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Kerry56 View Post
    No, something is off. I just ripped one title from a Blu-ray movie that contains four titles. It took less than a minute to create a 4.3gb MKV file. I'm using an i5, 3570k cpu in my computer.

My Blu-ray was not an ISO however, just files on the hard drive.
    I think maybe it's because I'm going from external to external? The source is an external hard drive, and the destination output is also external.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Yes, that could be the problem. Did it ever complete the task?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes it did, but took over an hour. I'm a bozo! The source hard drive was connected to a usb port of a laptop cooling fan pad. LOL! You see this cooling fan has a usb out that connects to my macbook, but the cooling fan itself also has a usb port you can use, old school usb speed. So I plugged the external source to my macbook and saved to internal hard drive, it too 4 and half minutes. If I save it to another external attached to mac, it will take about 6 and half. Much better than over an hour. LOL! Thanks for your help!
    Quote Quote