VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello, I bought a 240 GB SSD. I did a system backup from the old 500GB HDD using macrium reflect and then re-image it onto the new SSD. The process was successful but there is a big amount space of this SSD that can't be used! Now only 208GB can be used. How do I merge the "unusable" part and this 208GB together WITHOUT USING AND DATA. Here's the screenshot of the partitions.Click image for larger version

Name:	c.JPG
Views:	348
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	22463
    I can't live without my computer.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Some space on an SSD is automatically reserved for wear leveling and can't be used for data.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Some space on an SSD is automatically reserved for wear leveling and can't be used for data.
    What is "wear levelling"?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    But why does it take too much space? Is 15GB the normal size for wear levelling? It doesn't say anything about it there.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, for an SSD of that capacity. The greater the percentage of space that is unused, the longer the the SSD will last.

15 GB is probably the minimum that the software considers safe. A little more empty space would be better. Ideally 20% or more should remain empty.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 31st Dec 2013 at 00:38.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Maybe I wrong but I don't think its wear levelling
    I have 3 SSD(x2 120gb, 240gb) none of them have unused space, after install OS
    maybe Intel SSD have special needs? I don't know
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard-1.png
Views:	126
Size:	13.4 KB
ID:	22464
    Last edited by roma_turok; 31st Dec 2013 at 01:33.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Check your original drive for partitions ... it's highly likely this was carried over by macrium if you imaged the whole drive and is the hidden os and apps reinstall partition.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Bjs View Post
    Check your original drive for partitions ... it's highly likely this was carried over by macrium if you imaged the whole drive and is the hidden os and apps reinstall partition.
    How to check?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Try Join unused space to partition in Windows disk manager by right click on partition and select Extend volume then next , next...:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	capture_12312013_104036.png
Views:	462
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	22466
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by roma_turok View Post
    Try Join unused space to partition in Windows disk manager by right click on partition and select Extend volume then next , next...:
    [Attachment 22466 - Click to enlarge]
    Tried that but the "extend" tab is greyed, i mean it's not clickable.
    Quote Quote  
  11. You have to delete the unwanted partition before you can extend the remaining partition. Did you do that?

That amount of reserved space (for wear leveling) is not unreasonable. That is, the remainder after 224 GB (actual) less 209 GB. But you shouldn't see a separate partition in my experience with SSDs. It's doesn't add up anyway to the entire reserved space, which is also shown. I too think it likely that Macrium created that first small partition.
    Last edited by fritzi93; 31st Dec 2013 at 08:02.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by fritzi93 View Post
    You have to delete the unwanted partition before you can extend the remaining partition. Did you do that?

That amount of reserved space (for wear leveling) is not unreasonable. That is, the remainder after 240 GB less 209 GB. But you shouldn't see a separate partition in my experience with SSDs. It's doesn't add up anyway to the entire reserved space. I too think it likely that Macrium created it.
    Unwanted partition? You mean the unusable partition?
    Quote Quote  
  13. I mean the System Reserved, first one from the left, unless you *do* want to keep it. The ~ 15 GB shown in the middle is the SSD's reserved space; you're not going to be able to do anything with that, nor should you.

So you took that screenshot from Macrium? In Windows Disk Management, you won't see reserved space.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote