VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I've been trying the latest demo of Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 9 with some AVCHD mpeg 4 files from my GoPro HD Hero camera and found a problem. When the file is larger than 2 gigabytes the software will refuse to allow that file to play or be added to the timeline. It throws an error but can not provide any info about that error. I uploaded a 2.2GB file to Sony today and they just replied that they are seeing the same issue and passing it off to the writers to fix the application. Specifically I was using 1280x720 30p files, but I assume it is the same for other resolutions too. At this resolution and frame rate usable files are nearly 40 minutes long, so it might not be a problem.

When possible you can split them with Avidemux (free) using the MP4(PSP) wrapper. Note that Avidemux will put a couple extra frames at the beginning of the split, so you will need to make the clips overlap a little to line up.
    Hope is the trap the world sets for you every night when you go to sleep and the only reason you have to get up in the morning is the hope that this day, things will get better... But they never do, do they?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This has now been confirmed to affect Vegas Pro 9 too. Seems to only be AVCHD files from this camera or possible all cameras. I do know that if I run the file through Avidemux as an MP4(PSP) they still do not work.

I hope Sony doesn't wait until the NAB show in April to release Vegas 10 as the fix.
    Hope is the trap the world sets for you every night when you go to sleep and the only reason you have to get up in the morning is the hope that this day, things will get better... But they never do, do they?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sony is notorious for only supporting their model variants but I'm surprised if the Madison Wisconsin boys and girls (sonycreativesoftware) are failing to offer support. Have you called them?
    http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/support/default.asp

Oh, but I now see you are a pirate.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i wouldn't go blaming vegas for the failings of a cam. vegas works fine with avchd over 2gb. return the cam not the software.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have been in contact with support as I was trying the demo version of Movie Studio Platinum (as stated in the first post). I uploaded a clip for them to use for testing and the were able to repeat my findings and are working on a fix. Works fine with shorter clips so it isn't the camera at fault.

Originally Posted by edDV
    Oh, but I now see you are a pirate.
    And you better check the damn attitude about my stealing the software! First of all you have no idea whether I stole it, tried the demo, or bought it! So you can pretty much go jump. And since in my first line I said that I was trying the latest demo, that pretty much says that it was a legal download. Also since it says confirmed from Sony it suggests that I did contact Sony and that they confirmed the problem. I then had a legal user on another forum that also owns this camera check Vegas Pro since he has it at work, he then confirmed that the problem does exist for that version too.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I edited the first post to put in bold the text that you obviously couldn't be bothered to read. You absolutely never contact official support when you have pirated software. Support tends to figure it out pretty quickly that the software is stolen and then they send the police over to grab you!

I had a feeling that coming back after so many years was a big mistake.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    let's put it this way, avchd over 2gb works from canon, jvc, sony, panasonic camcorders and only not from your particular no-name brand, then which do you think is at fault? i'm not picking on you but the cam, if they had implemented avchd coding correctly there wouldn't be a problem. the good folks at sony may be able to create a kludge to work around your cam's problem, but it's not needed for 99.99% of the camera's out there. i'd guess they used non-standard avchd to avoid paying the royalties required to use the "real"codec as it's not free for manufacturers as in fact it is owned by sony and panasonic jointly.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    And by the way, Sony support has been extremely quick to respond and the sample video I sent them went all the way up to development in a 2 day span of time (really only a day and a half from the time that I uploaded the clip). They could not give me a time frame for an update, but at least both levels of support were able to see the same problem so I'm sure they will do something to fix it.

And not that I have any way to verify it, but support for the camera told me that George Lucas just picked up a couple of these for something. I have no idea what he might want them for, could be some kind of situation where he expects the camera to get destroyed (since it does only cost $300), or it could be for personal home use on a vacation or something. The implication is that with all the money he has, and all the different small HD cameras available, he found something of value in this camera. Or it at least made him curious enough to get a couple for testing.
    Quote Quote