VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. I just tried out my setup (ATI Wonder 750USB) with S-Video and CISCO Explorer 8642 hd. In the bundled software TVMedia1.3 I was able to toggle captions on and off on the capture screen. However, the captured video did'nt capture the closed captions.

With Windows Media Centre, it asks me for IR device, so I am stuck there. Any other software that I can try?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by video2me View Post
    I just tried out my setup (ATI Wonder 750USB) with S-Video and CISCO Explorer 8642 hd. In the bundled software TVMedia1.3 I was able to toggle captions on and off on the capture screen. However, the captured video did'nt capture the closed captions.

With Windows Media Centre, it asks me for IR device, so I am stuck there. Any other software that I can try?
    Yes. GraphStudio, but it is very unlikely that you will be able to figure it out how to use it on your own. I need to write detailed instructions for you. I have been working on them since yesterday and will try to post them today or tomorrow.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Click image for larger version

Name:	TV Wonder 600 USB Graph.jpg
Views:	483
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	24758
    Note: Filters you add to the graph become the rectangles. The pins are little nubs protruding from the rectangles. The arrows connecting the rectangles are created when you drag and drop from an output pin to an input pin.

1. Connect the TV Wonder 750 USB to your DVR, then turn on your DVR and PC.

2. Download GraphStudio from the VideoHelp tools section and open.

3. Click on "Graph" in the menu bar, then "Insert Filter", on the drop-down menu.

4. A dialog window will appear. There is a drop down list near the top left corner of this window that provides access to various filters. Open the drop-down list.

5. Go down the list and click on "WDM Streaming Crossbar", you should see something like "AVStream Analog Xbar" or "AVStream Analog Crossbar" for the TV Wonder 750. Add that as the first filter in the graph by clicking the "Insert" button.

6. Open the drop-down list again. Look for "WDM Streaming Capture", and click on it. You should see something like "AVStream Analog Capture" for the TV Wonder 750. Add that as the second filter in the graph by clicking the "Insert" button.

7. Open the drop-down list again. Look for "DirectShow Filters", and click on it. You should be able to find 4 Direct Show filters named "ATI MPEG Video Encoder", ATI MPEG Audio Encoder", "ATI MPEG Multiplexer", and VBI Codec. Select, and then add each in turn by clicking the "Insert" button.

8. Connect the pins on these filters as shown in my graph for the TV Wonder 600 USB (going from left to right), by dragging and dropping from one pin to the other.

9. Open the drop-down list again. Look for "DirectShow Filters", click on it. Find the Direct Show filters named ATI MPEG File Writer". Select, and then it by clicking the "Insert" button. Select "Browse", then choose a location and create filename for your capture using the .mpg extension.

10. Drag and drop to connect the input pin for the File Writer to the output pin of the Multiplexer.

11. Once the graph is built, save it, before setting up the properties for the Crossbar, Capture, Video Encoder, Audio Encoder and MPEG Multiplexer filters.

12. Right click on the in the ATI XBar filter, click on "Properties" and select the inputs you used to connect your DVR and the TV Wonder 750.

13. Right click on the ATI Analog Capture filter, click on "Properties" and select NTSC_M for Video

14. Right click on the ATI Analog Capture filter's Capture pin, click on "Properties" and make sure Frame Rate = 29.970, ColorSpace = YUV2, Output Size = 720 x 480, and Quality = 1.000.

15. Right click on the ATI MPEG Video Encoder and select properties. Set standard to MPEG-2, Load preset = High, GOP length = 15, B-Frames = 2, and Aspect Ratio 4:3. Average bit rate should be 6000, VBR Peak bit rate should be checked and set to 8000.

16. Right click on the ATI MPEG Audio Encoder filter for the encoding setting and select properties. Set Standard = DVD, select Auto, Bit rate - 224 kbps, and Sample Rate = 4800

17. Right click on the ATI MPEG Multiplexer filter and select properties. Set Multiplexer Mode to Generic MPEG.

18. Once you have completed the graph, save it so it can be used again.

19. Click the green arrow in the toolbar to start the capture. The square stop button turns red when the capture begins. Clicking on it stops the capture.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 24th Apr 2014 at 10:56.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Oh Man, I can't thank you enough. You have literally got my whole setup done to capture captioning. I did not get ATI MPEG Encoders for some reason, so used Main Concept instead. And it works!!!

Many, many thanks, once again.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am glad to hear Graphedit worked. Basically it allows you access to the drivers provided for a capture device/TV tuner, plus various other WDM filters for video and audio that are installed in your system by Windows or something else. Making a working graph sometimes takes a lot of trial and error. Some filters are compatible and some aren't. Write down the settings you used for the properties. You may have to re-enter the properties for the capture filter, encoders and multiplexer again because they may not be saved with the graph, or they can be changed when using other capture or video player software.
    Quote Quote  
  6. good to know. thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I have been trying to setup a windows media centre CC capturing setup and it seems that the 750USB does not support IR hardware. Spent a good 2 weeks researching this and can't seem to locate a HAVAIR.inf virtual driver which removes this requirement from WMC.

I am planning to order one of the HP small factor core 2 duo PCs and attach a PCI card on it.

Which card is recommended to have the most painfree process of capturing video through WMC and extracting subtitles from it?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Since the HAVA virtual driver is no longer available, no matter which TV tuner/analog capture card you use with your cable DVR, you need WMC-compatible IR receiver hardware which has ir blaster capability to record using Windows Media Center. I'm using a third party WMC-compatible USB IR receiver/IR blaster with my TV Wonder HD 600 USB to control my cable box. I don't understand why you think the TV Wonder HD 750 USB can't be used with similar USB IR hardware. Something like this should work: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16880101007
    Quote Quote  
  9. Have you used this? I am wondering where the 3.5mm looking pin will be inserted as there is no place to put it in my TV tuner. I had bought this remote: http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B003WF0FBO/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

but it didn't work. I still got the IR error. It was possibly because an IR USB receiver was with the remote and not a IR Blaster.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Have you used this? I am wondering where the 3.5mm looking pin will be inserted as there is no place to put it in my TV tuner. I had bought this remote: http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B003WF0FBO/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

but it didn't work. I still got the IR error. It was possibly because an IR USB receiver was with the remote and not a IR Blaster.
    Yes, what you bought can't work because the receiver has no IR blaster capability. I bought this kit, but did not like the remote. The buttons are too small. I replaced it with another remote which can be purchased without a IR receiver. Note that Inteset sells a USB receiver but it does not have IR blaster capability.

The IR receivers that do include IR blaster capability have one or two ports in the back beside the USB connection. The IR blaster cable has a male connector on one end that plugs into the IR blaster port on the USB IR receiver. The IR blaster cable's IR emitter (on the other end of the IR blaster cable) is sticky one side and gets placed above the IR sensor on the cable DVR.The receiver I linked to has the required IR blaster ports and comes with an IR blaster cable.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 4th May 2014 at 23:30. Reason: clarity
    Quote Quote  
  11. That's great. I just ordered the same Hauppauge PCTV Remote Kit. That will certainly make things much easier.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Which card is recommended to have the most painfree process of capturing video through WMC and extracting subtitles from it?
    I don't get why you guys still bother with cards at all when HDHomeRun is around
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by cfsmp3 View Post
    I don't get why you guys still bother with cards at all when HDHomeRun is around
    Maybe because some of us in N. America still need or want to use NTSC analog tuning and NTSC analog capture to make portable recordings from our cable TV service. SiliconDust only makes ATSC/QAM tuners and CableCARD tuners for N. America. Some TV cards have both analog and digital tuners, and the ability to capture from composite and S-video, plus the ability to tune FM radio.

The OP is in Canada. The majority of Canadian cable providers encrypt all digital channels, and CableCARDs are not available. This means most Canadians with cable TV service need to record the output of a cable DVR or cable box to have portable recordings available. To record closed captions from that source the OP needs to use the DVR's RF out (and record from NTSC analog channels 2,3, or 4), or its composite video out, or its S-Video out.

I may buy a SiliconDust HDHomeRun or HDHomeRun Prime at some future date, but when I bought my Hauppauge TV card and ATI USB tuner, I needed digital tuning for ATSC reception and SD analog capture to record from my standard definition cable box's analog outputs.
    Quote Quote  
  14. I finally got Windows Media Centre working, and it looks very promising. Promising because I need a new Windows 7 laptop, as currently I am running an Atom based processor and WMC just doesn't like it very much. But I was able to record some video through S-Video with captioning (which was very garbled cause recording was jumping all over the place) and was able to use CCExtractor to make SRT.

There are a few Sattelite providers in Canada and WMC was able to detect them. So I was wondering if I sign up with one of these providers and connect the dish directly to the RF cable, will I be able to use the guide completely and by pass the need for a DVR. For example in States, can you guys connect a DirecTV cable coming from the dish directly to the TV Tuner and use Windows Media Centre to record the shows through the Guide?

I am tempted to try this as this really shortens my workflow. It will be nice to extract captions from shows residing on my HDD after I have simply gone through the WMC TV Guide and made my recording selections.

Edited: Ok, I just found out about Cable Cards. So basically the dish cable connects to these cable cards and they are connected to the Tuner and then WMC TV Guide works flawlessly? Correct me if I'm wrong.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I finally got Windows Media Centre working, and it looks very promising. Promising because I need a new Windows 7 laptop, as currently I am running an Atom based processor and WMC just doesn't like it very much. But I was able to record some video through S-Video with captioning (which was very garbled cause recording was jumping all over the place) and was able to use CCExtractor to make SRT.

There are a few Sattelite providers in Canada and WMC was able to detect them. So I was wondering if I sign up with one of these providers and connect the dish directly to the RF cable, will I be able to use the guide completely and by pass the need for a DVR. For example in States, can you guys connect a DirecTV cable coming from the dish directly to the TV Tuner and use Windows Media Centre to record the shows through the Guide?

I am tempted to try this as this really shortens my workflow. It will be nice to extract captions from shows residing on my HDD after I have simply gone through the WMC TV Guide and made my recording selections.

Edited: Ok, I just found out about Cable Cards. So basically the dish cable connects to these cable cards and they are connected to the Tuner and then WMC TV Guide works flawlessly? Correct me if I'm wrong.
    In N. America, you cannot hook the coaxial cable from the satellite dish directly into a PC device of any kind to record. Satellite transmission are encrypted in N. America so you need a satellite receiver/DVR from whatever satellite TV service that you subscribe to to decrypt the signal. I have never been a satellite TV subscriber, so I don't know if the major providers are well-supported by WMC's guide service or built-in IR blaster codes. However, in theory, recording from a satellite receiver would work exactly like recording from a cable box.

CableCARDs won't work for satellite service of any kind, and Canadian cable service doesn't use them either. The only reason that we in the US have them is that the FCC required US cable services to use them as the interface and decrypter for cable boxes/DVRs and forced them to provide CableCARDs to their customers on request for use with the few compatible CableCARD devices available. CableCARDs must be programmed by the provider for use with their service and they won't work for any other provider's service without reprogramming. CableCARDs can only be rented and the public cannot buy them.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 7th May 2014 at 23:06.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    To add a bit to this... CCExtractor will happily extract closed captions from Windows media center recordings even if they are encrypted.
    Quote Quote  
  17. When capturing in WMC, how do you setup capture with your own details? Right now the S-Video is captured but the time in and time out and filename is picked up from whatever is present on the guide. I would like to setup manual times when I click record.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    When capturing in WMC, how do you setup capture with your own details? Right now the S-Video is captured but the time in and time out and filename is picked up from whatever is present on the guide. I would like to setup manual times when I click record.
    If you are scheduling timer recordings, the start time used is based on the guide's listing, plus the start setting used for the recording defaults (Tasks->Settings->TV->Recorder->Recording Defaults). The stop time can be adjusted by clicking on the program you want to to record in the guide, then selecting "Advanced Record". If you are recording a program that has been delayed for some reason, so the guide data is wrong, you would select the program listing in the guide that covers the desired start time, and then adjust the stop time.

As I recall, WMC allows setting custom start and stop times for individual recordings only when recording channels where no guide data is available. I'm not sure if it would be possible to set up a completely empty "favorites" guide so that the start and stop times for all recordings would be entered manually, and I'm not willing to risk screwing up my own recording schedule and guides to find out for you.

[Edit]If you want to control all recordings manually, and have no interest in using a guide, maybe not agreeing to use the guide service would work, but once again I'm not willing to risk screwing up my own recording schedule and guides to find out for you.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 12th May 2014 at 15:57.
    Quote Quote  
  19. I Added a new channel which has a completely empty guide. So now when I click the record button I can customize my start and end time etc. So this works out well for me.

There is a show that I recorded which has roll up captions. I want to extract these captions in roll up format as well. I haven't yet found a way to do this within CCExtractor.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There is a show that I recorded which has roll up captions. I want to extract these captions in roll up format as well. I haven't yet found a way to do this within CCExtractor.
    CCExtractor can extract roll-up captions but obviously the output file is still a .srt or a transcript. How would a roll-up output file look like?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    just for the record, i was able to capture analog closed captions with Usb AVerTV Hybrid Volar MAX too.

with usually_quiet graph method , and if you read this, what software you used to record cc with usb 600 ati wonder?
    i success with graph too for ati 600 wonder .

edit.

also with avermedia hd MTVHDDVRR

Name:	fullsho864.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	180.3 KB
ID:	33091
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsho863.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	167.5 KB
ID:	33090  

Last edited by godai; 10th Aug 2015 at 20:26.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by godai View Post
    just for the record, i was able to capture analog closed captions with Usb AVerTV Hybrid Volar MAX too.

with usually_quiet graph method , and if you read this, what software you used to record cc with usb 600 ati wonder?
    I was able to use the ATI TV Wonder 600 USB's analog connections and capture closed captions with Windows Media Center and GraphStudio. Closed captions were in the MPEG-2 GOP user data when I used GraphStudio. I don't recall if they were stored in the GOP user data when I used Windows Media Center. Catalyst Media Center should work too, but it is semi-broken in Windows 7. The captions would be stored in the GOP user data when using Catalyst Media Center.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    thanks for answer.
    im reading some of this kind of threads, i dont know if any one need patch - update of cmc? , i have it.

just checking i see many ''things'' in hauppauge encoder of 2250 , its any way to activate it in or out of graphstudio ?
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsho870.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	744.0 KB
ID:	33097  

Name:	fullsho867.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	33098  

Last edited by godai; 11th Aug 2015 at 01:56.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by godai View Post
    thanks for answer.
    im reading some of this kind of threads, i dont know if any one need patch - update of cmc? , i have it.

just checking i see many ''things'' in hauppauge encoder of 2250 , its any way to activate it in or out of graphstudio ?
    I installed CMC on a Windows 7 32-bit system, and did use a patch/update, but after a time CMC stopped working. I re-installed CMC a second time with the patch, but after a few months it stopped working again. At that point, I gave up on it. That was probably in 2011 or 2012. CMC is probably best for use with XP or Vista.

No, GraphStudio can't provide access to a WinTV 7164 MPEG PS Encoder resembling the screenshot you posted. The DirectShow version of WinTV 7164 MPEG PS Encoder properties tab has only two sliders for the bit rate values and a list of options for the bit rate mode (Constant, Variable (average) and Variable (peak)), plus a button to return to the default settings. ...at least that is what I see using Windows 7.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 11th Aug 2015 at 14:06.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    cmc its painfull i know that too several times i try install it without success also after install don't detect any cards

but yesterday i install win 10 and i install cmc and amazingly cmc detect all my cards but only atsc part of them.
    Quote Quote  
    Some sort of cave with bats flying around
    Search PM
    Would be helpful to upload a sample of about 2minutes if that is ok also are you NTSC or PAL ? because both systems are diffrent for subtitles
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by NiGHT-WiNG View Post
    Would be helpful to upload a sample of about 2minutes if that is ok also are you NTSC or PAL ? because both systems are diffrent for subtitles
    If you look at the dates on the posts and read the thread, you will find it began last year and the member who started it, video2me, was already helped.

This thread was inactive for some time before godai woke it up again to ask me some questions and post modified Direct Show filter graphs based on some I posted. Samples of his captures are not going to help answer his questions.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 13th Aug 2015 at 15:48.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!