VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm looking for a good digital camera for use in my up coming wedding and honeymoon. I currently have a little point and shoot Canon camera that I like but, am looking for something a little bigger and more advanced. I want something that I can take long distance high resolution photos with. I also need one that is able to record videos too. I suppose i'm looking for what they call a Digital SLR?

I like Canon a lot but need to keep it under $1000. I have just started looking and haven't seen too many. I looked briefly on bsetbuy.com and found this canon...

Canon - EOS Digital Rebel XSi 12.2-Megapixel Digital SLR Camera with Lens - Black
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8794691&type=product&id=1205537713445

But from what I read it isn't able to record videos? Anyways, I have a lot of looking to do, I just wanted to see if you guys had any suggestions as i'm sure there are many experts on the subject that post here.

Thanks guys!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Do you already have EOS or other Canon Lenses?

The big money goes into the glass.

The EOS 5D Mark II is the crossover to semi-pro AVCHD camcorder but costs $2700 (one lens).
    http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=139&modelid=...delFeaturesAct

The rest are here. These record higher compressed MJPEG and low quality audio (no external mic jack).
    http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ProductCatIndexAct&fcategoryid=113
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  3. No, I don't have any lenses.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    These are nice still cameras but limited use as camcorders.

OK for B-Roll where audio isn't important. Some models lack image stabilization so should be tripod mounted.

8 GB SDHC Class 6 Flash Memory
    http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Class-Memory-SD6-8GB/dp/B000OF6V7M

$19 for 24 min HD. Three of these ~equal one $4 HDV tape.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Yeah, the video doesn't have to be perfect, obviously I want it as good as possible. But my little Canon SD450 takes ok little videos and is good enough for me. So as long as the camera takes as good as videos as this SD450, that would be fine. However, I want to make sure I get a camera that can take very high quality long distance and night photos.

Optical zoom is the quality real zoom and digital zoom is where image quality loss comes into play, right?

What camera do you like for $500-$800 ish?

I'll probably be best off going to a store and seeing which cameras I like dislike. I just wanted to get a vague idea of what to look for.

Oh and do most of these higher end cameras run off AA and AAA type batteries vs a rechargeable lithium battery?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by chewie8008
    Yeah, the video doesn't have to be perfect, obviously I want it as good as possible. But my little Canon SD450 takes ok little videos and is good enough for me. So as long as the camera takes as good as videos as this SD450, that would be fine. However, I want to make sure I get a camera that can take very high quality long distance and night photos.

Optical zoom is the quality real zoom and digital zoom is where image quality loss comes into play, right?

What camera do you like for $500-$800 ish?

I'll probably be best off going to a store and seeing which cameras I like dislike. I just wanted to get a vague idea of what to look for.

Oh and do most of these higher end cameras run off AA and AAA type batteries vs a rechargeable lithium battery?

Thanks
    The zooms aren't motorized. You frame then shoot. I don't know about night shot.

EF 70-300mm Zoom Lens $549
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0007Y794O/ref=nosim/coffeeresearch93138-20
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you want a really good digital camera which just happens to have "OK" video, you're asking in the wrong forum!

Some good DSLRs happen to have video, others don't. A few have excellent video capabilities, but you might not want to restrict your choice to getting one with video. Just keep your current POS in your pocket for that.

If you start carrying around a DSLR with a lens or two, carrying around a small video camera as well isn't that much more effort.

Alternatively, get a "good" point and shoot.

Cheers,
    David.
    P.S. this is a great camera...
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8794691&type=product&id=1205537713445
    ...and it works in "full auto" mode (if you want). However, you're going to spoil your honeymoon if you spend it learning how to use this camera properly!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Have you tried: http://www.steves-digicams.com/

Lots of good info. and well organized.
    Andrew Jackson: "It's a poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word."
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by 2Bdecided
    If you want a really good digital camera which just happens to have "OK" video, you're asking in the wrong forum!

Some good DSLRs happen to have video, others don't. A few have excellent video capabilities, but you might not want to restrict your choice to getting one with video. Just keep your current POS in your pocket for that.

If you start carrying around a DSLR with a lens or two, carrying around a small video camera as well isn't that much more effort.

Alternatively, get a "good" point and shoot.

Cheers,
    David.
    P.S. this is a great camera...
    ...and it works in "full auto" mode (if you want). However, you're going to spoil your honeymoon if you spend it learning how to use this camera properly!
    Yes, I know this is mainly a camcorder/video forum, but I didn't see any just camera sections, and I know there are a lot of smart people on here, so figured i'd give it a shot in this section.

Anyways, I guess that makes sense, I could just use my old Canon for videos, it is small, and get a camera that takes good pics.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Do you think the cheaper version of the camera you listed earlier is any good? I looked at it today in person and liked it, but I don't want to buy a POS

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8929699&type=product&id=1214611419717
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    A Rebel is a soccer mom camera.
    It's okay, but don't expect excellent high ISO performance ("night shots").

You may need to consider the used camera market, for lenses. Look at third-party like Sigma EX.

Your budget is just way too low, for the requests made. It barely covers a still DSLR, much less video camera.

A honeymoon might also not be the best time to try and learn photo.

Best Buy is an overpriced store. Those are at least 10-20% more expensive than a camera store. For the best prices, look online, at Amazon, Adorama, B&H. (Note: Do not buy from no-name stores, as the online camera market is full of scams.)
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    How about the Nikon D90 ? I don't know a lot about it, but it gets good reviews and isn't too outrageously priced. Still, you do get what you pay for.

Here's some video footage from the camera: http://vimeo.com/videos/search90/sortlays/format:thumbnail
    Quote Quote  
  13. Yeah, i'm not looking to turn pro with this camera. Just wanted something that takes great pics. Like I said I have a little Canon SD450 and I like it. Whether it's a POS or not. The problem I have with it is it's very hard to take any sort of long distance shots and low light shots are impossible to take without blurring unless you use flash. So I figured i'd upgrade a bit.

I'm not going to be learning anything about cameras on my honeymoon, my honeymoon is the 2nd week of May, if I can't learn the majority of my camera in 2 months I probably never will.

So is there not much of an inbetween market, either buy a cheap little camera like I have for average users or buy a 2-3 thousand dollar one for an expert, anything else is pretty much a waste?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I still see the DSLR solution as a pro or geek-hobby solution. It is a repeat of the 35mm SLR world where one needs to manage a heavy extra piece of luggage that is too expensive and fragile to trust to baggage claim let alone leave in a hotel room. I still have my Nikon 35mm case full of lenses and filters but I would never take it on a girlfriend/wife trip. They won't give you time to set it up. Ansel Adams left the wife home and lugged the gear in a station wagon.

Even though I have the Nikon case and big pro video gear, I'd never take any of it on a girlfriend trip even if it was by car. Instead I take my laptop (for communications), Canon Powershot (for stills) and HV20 (for HD video). That fills a backpack. More often I leave the still cam at home. The HV20 takes a reasonable still and has a good zoom.

This spring, I'm off to Yellowstone Nat Park by car with all the gear but not taking the girlfriend. This time my goal is serious video and stills.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Soopafresh
    How about the Nikon D90 ? I don't know a lot about it, but it gets good reviews and isn't too outrageously priced. Still, you do get what you pay for.
    Here's some video footage from the camera: http://vimeo.com/videos/search90/sortlays/format:thumbnail
    Once you get past the "wow factor" of a DSLR shooting video, you quickly realize it's a crappy video solution. A run-of-the-mill $150 DV cam will give a better video experience.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    IMO, most digital cameras don't handle video very well. Two camcorders, however, come to mind - but neither is on the market yet: Canon Vixia HF S10 and JVC Everio X. Both should handle pictures and video with acceptable results.
    The Canon is around $1,300 (USD) and the JVC is around $1,000 (USD).

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=177&modelid=17993
    http://everiox.jvc.com/

The Canon is getting rave reviews. Unfortunately I haven't read anything about the JVC.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    A Rebel is a soccer mom camera.
    Ouch!

That might be how we use ours, but I have friends who take proper photos with theirs!

I also have friends who have far more expensive cameras (clearly earning far too much), who know that in the real world, no one can see the difference. Skill, and lenses, make far more of a difference (I have neither ).

Someone who is almost happy with a mid-range POS isn't going to find anything to complain about with an EOS 450D / Rebel. Except the fact that you have to look through the view finder to take pictures - call me a philistine, but I think that's annoying. Oh, and live view is painful. Has its uses, but matching a POS LCD is not one of them!

They should stick a VGA camera in the view finder and wire it into the LCD so you can hold the thing above your head or by your knee and still see what you're taking. I really miss that ability from a POS on a DSLR.

As for using a video camera in place of a still camera - my HV20 doesn't even come close to my old POS, never mind a DSLR. Since the OP wants good photos and OK-ish video, I think having just a video camera is a terrible idea.

Cheers,
    David.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by 2Bdecided
    As for using a video camera in place of a still camera - my HV20 doesn't even come close to my old POS, never mind a DSLR. Since the OP wants good photos and OK-ish video, I think having just a video camera is a terrible idea
    Better than a cell phone and the camcorder has a long zoom. Depends on the type of trip. Normal for me is a cellphone in one pocket, keys/change in the other and camcorder over the shoulder. If I take the Powershot, the cellphone moves to the belt.

A camera packed in luggage takes no pictures.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edDV
    A camera packed in luggage takes no pictures.
    Which is the problem with a DSLR!

I would like the impossible: POS size, DSLR speed of focussing and (optionally) depth of field, HD 50fps video. Pixel-sharp 1920x1080.

As it is, near the house I juggle the DSLR and the HV20, and going out I pick one of the DSLR or the HV20 (depending on whether I think photos or videos will be more important) and take my POS. It's rare I can be bothered with two large cameras, though of course it does happen.

At the end of the day, I'm not a photographer. I'm usually going somewhere to enjoy myself, and take a few photos/videos along the way. Photos/videos are rarely the point of the trip, and it's important to put the camera down and get involved.

Cheers,
    David.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    chewie8008,

So is there not much of an inbetween market, either buy a cheap little camera like I have for average users or buy a 2-3 thousand dollar one for an expert, anything else is pretty much a waste?
    I wouldn't say that. You can get very good results (far beyond what your current camera is capable of) and still keep within your budget. One possibility that meets your budget and requirements would include:

Nikon D40 body
    Nikon Nikkor 55mm - 200mm f/4-5.6G ED-IF AF-S DX VR - zoom telephoto lens for the long shots
    Nikon Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AF - for low light

The D40 body and zoom lens is the easy part. A quick check shows Adorama has a kit that includes both items (and an additional 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II AF-S DX lens) for $574.95 here. The hard part is the low light lens. It was replaced by the "D" lens (which doesn't autofocus on the D40) some time ago, so you would have to either find a used non-"D" lens, or alternately you could go with the "D" version, and focus manually. The "D" version is readily available...for example, Amazon will sell you a brand new one for $131.83 (see here). Whichever way you decide to go, the low light lens is going to run about $150 or less, which would put the total cost slightly above $700, which leaves some of the budget for extra SD memory cards, camera case, tripod, etc.

This setup may not have all the latest whiz-bang bells and whistles, but the camera is sound, and the glass is good.

By the way, I live in the Nikon camp, so that probably influences my recommendation. There may well be a Canon alternate path...I just don't know what it would be.

If you want more information on the D40 and/or the lenses I suggested, you can start here. It's at Ken Rockwell's site.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'd say to buy a $500-600 Canon HD camera,
    and a Nikon D40/D60 consumer DSLR with an basic kit lens for about $400-500.

When you get more money in the future, buy a nice lens for the D40 or D60, any f/2.8 lens that is Nikkor "G" series or compatible third-party (Tokina, Sigma). That would run from $400-1600, depending on the lens.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    I'd say to buy a $500-600 Canon HD camera,
    and a Nikon D40/D60 consumer DSLR with an basic kit lens for about $400-500.

When you get more money in the future, buy a nice lens for the D40 or D60, any f/2.8 lens that is Nikkor "G" series or compatible third-party (Tokina, Sigma). That would run from $400-1600, depending on the lens.
    Undeniably, two cameras would be best; but if you want the convenience of carrying only one camera I'd buy the Canon Vixia HF S10 when it's released next month.

Good luck on what ever you decide.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Soopafresh

I have a D90 and I like it. ISO 800 is very clean. Neither Nikon or Canon have image stabilization in the cameras, but in each lens. NIkon calls it VR for vibration resistance, Canon calls it IS for image stabilization. DSLR's do not have digital zoom or any on camera zoom. The lens zooms when you turn the barrel on the lens. I agree digital zoom is crap.

The D90 is one of the lowest cost DSLR's with Video and it is a great camera, I have one. The resolution of the video is great, but lacks really good sound. Canon's DSLR with Video is higher end if I remember right. Go to DPreview.com for reviews on a camera before you buy it. ALso bhphoto has better deals than best buy.

WIth that said on a honeymoon, you need a great point and shoot. Panasonic LX3 or Leica Dlux4 are pretty good. Canon has a higher end enthusiast point and shoot, nikon has the P6000.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Unfortunately, just a d90 body (with no lenses) is going to use up the entire budget. It's also more camera than chewie8008 really needs for his stated purposes (now that he's moved on to a dedicated still camera).

Originally Posted by chewie8008
    ...I want to make sure I get a camera that can take very high quality long distance and night photos
    To get the obvious out of the way first...point & shoot cameras are great for what they do, but they aren't designed to produce "very high quality long distance and night photos".

To take "very high quality" photos, you have to use high quality lenses. To take long distance photos, you need to use a telephoto lens. A prime lens isn't a good choice in this case, hence the zoom lens. For pure "night" shots, you could just use a long exposure, but since chewie8008 mentions "low light shots are impossible to take without blurring unless you use flash", the only answer is faster glass (high iso alone would introduce noise and rule out "very high quality").

The outfit I suggested stays within the budget, and meets or exceeds the requirements (as we know them). The lenses may be inexpensive, but they're not cheap crap, chosen to stay on budget. They're both excellent lenses. The d40, itself, allows someone who isn't very familiar with photography to get superb photos, while providing capabilities and flexibility for the more knowledgeable photographer. The d40 is even quite a bit smaller than most other dslrs.

Once again, I'm only familiar with Nikon. It seems likely Canon would have something competitive, but what it would be I just don't know.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by chewie8008
    Yes, there is an in-between--- For a current model, look at the Canon PowerShot SX10 IS. Great camera with 20X optical zoom, image stabilization, and takes video as good as your average camcorder.

Where it would lack would be clarity in the high ISO simulation (which is what you need to take crisp night shots of moving objects if you don't want them to blur)... for that you really need a good DSLR.

Canon's SX1 IS is a non-DSLR which has the CMOS sensor used in the EOS cameras, but I've never used one. It also shoots HD movies... which drives up the price.
    Quote Quote