VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello, really new here, I have a cony Tr96 anolog camcorder and i am trying to put the tapes on to dvd, and i am so lost, even best buy couldnt help.

well i read here that i can use a digital camcorder and play them throuhg there and sometimes its beeter then going w/ a card (dazzle, pinnicle)

please you have to get me straight these tape are of my son who we lost recently.

which is the best way to go, i would by the new cam corder if its the way

if you need more info let me know

Ron
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Get a Canopus ADVC-110

Do a search on a website such as PRICEGRABBER.COM to find the best on-line price.

Also here is a link to the Canopus website: http://www.canopus.com/

Basically the Canopus ADVC-110 is an external device that hooks up to a MAC or PC via FIREWIRE (also called DV or IEEE 1394 or i.link). Most computers should have this type of connection if not you can buy a PCI card that plugs into the computer to give it this type of connection. At least that applies to a PC ... I think all MACs have this connector since way back.

The Canopus ADVC-110 has analog A/V inputs and digitalizes the input into standard DV AVI format. This is the same format that a digital camcorder uses.

Once the video is on your computer you can use a variety of software to do editing and then convert to MPEG-2 DVD spec files for DVD Video burning.

There are many choices for editing programs but two popular and somewhat inexpensive choices would be Adobe Premiere Elements or Vegas Movie Studio.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  3. If you have plans to buy a Digital Cam anyway, then make sure it has "Passthrough" capabilities to allow analog input from your old cam and firewire output to your computer. If you don't have a desire/need for a digital cam, then FulciLives suggestion is a good one. But just to be clear, there's no need for both.
    "Shut up Wesley!" -- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by ron24151
    I have a cony Tr96 anolog camcorder and i am trying to put the tapes on to dvd
    If what you want to do is as simple as creating a DVD of everything on the tape and you don't want to add/edit it all, just get a standalone DVD recorder (~$100 from Best Buy) and connect the outputs from your TR96 to the analog inputs of the DVD recorder.

The recorders use standard recordable DVD blanks and, once recorded, you can play them on most DVD players and computers.
    John Miller
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks what is the differnce between the 100 and 110 what about the 55 any input on them at all?

thanks helps a bunch
    ron
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ron24151
    thanks what is the differnce between the 100 and 110 what about the 55 any input on them at all?

thanks helps a bunch
    ron
    The Canopus ADVC-100 is no longer made. The Canopus ADVC-110 is the new current model and is essentially the same thing.

Some people have reported success with the Canopus ADVC-55 but I would stick with the ADVC-110 as it supports "Audio Lock" to prevent loss of A/V sync and does so "offically" whereas technically the ADVC-55 has an "unofficial" "Audio Lock" feature. I'm not sure I trust it. The price difference last time I checked wasn't that huge. Plus if you ever decide you are done with it you can get a good used price on the ADVC-110 via eBay. Just look at the ADVC-100 on eBay ... the selling price is often not that much less than a brand new unit.

"The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks, i have plenty of vcr tapes also so i think the 110 is the way to go, maybe even better, what is a little bit of money compared to the videos right, now lets squash the rumor that dvds hav a short life span

ron
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ron24151
    thanks, i have plenty of vcr tapes also so i think the 110 is the way to go, maybe even better, what is a little bit of money compared to the videos right, now lets squash the rumor that dvds hav a short life span

ron
    Well truth be told if I were you and I have a lot to do and you are only NOW getting into the "game" ... well I would be tempted to say wait a bit longer and see how the HD-DVD and/or Blu-Ray thing goes. Eventually there will be stand alone HD-DVD/Blu-Ray recorders.

But then again that might be a long wait ... at least for a "mature" and "well working" product.

Quote Quote