VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. [QUOTE=jagabo;2412326]
    Originally Posted by jaggy View Post
    Is leaving the framerate "constant" acceptable/advisable for x264 interlace encoding?
    Yes.

Would that be yes, advisable or something else? Is there a possible reason for wanting to use vfr in this case since we're skipping the whole detelecine process? Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. You should use constant frame rate with interlaced encoding.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thank you. A bit of an update.

I have been using TMPGEnc for video previews of individual frames and to test different deinterlacing techniques. So far only discs with 3:2 pulldown were fully rescuable. I have tried several encoding tools but I keep coming back to Handbrake and autogk. The ability to choose several audio and subtitle tracks and user friendliness are unmatched. So far I have only been tackling 29.97 hard telecined discs. I have had some luck with Megui although only after additional research and after downloading the "development" version of the program. The last stable release is not able to pull additional audio and subtitle tracks although the + sign in the user interface suggests that adding additional tracks is a simple matter of a click. The development update can pull additional tracks but only after preferred languages have been designated in the settings. See: http://sourceforge.net/p/megui/bugs/733/

Unfortunately "Chinese" only pulls one audio track where I may need two. Also audio tracks labeled "unknown" are not pulled. I do like this quirky program though. It has been able to do a decent job deinterlacing a Russian DVD although I don't know which default deinterlacer it uses. Any suggestions as to how to add Srestore to the Avisynth configuration profile?

Handbrake appears to create variable frame rate output (I think) unnecessarily for simple 3:2 IVTC jobs. The top and bottom of the value range is very close to 23.976.
    I have experimented with double framerare bob deinterlace in Handbrake (telecine off, deinterlace bob and 59.94 frame rate). The frame rate has to be changed manually to 59.94 otherwise the bob deinterlace output would be 29.97. Encoding programs in general seem to not utilize double framerate technique and default to 29.97 when deinterlacing.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Handbrake always creates VFR for 23.976, 29.97, and 59.94 fps in an MP4 container. That's because those frame rates can't be achieved exactly with the 1/90000 second time base used by MP4. So it alternates between two frame rates to create an average that matches the desired rate. If you use MKV instead it will create true CFR.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!