VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, I hope I'm in the right place - I'm a newbie, please go easy.

I have been using Avidemux for a while converting and editing mpg's - mainly editing out commercials from TV shows. Aside from not having a life, this was working very well.

I recently bought a Topfield HD recorder. Now when I copy shows onto external drive, they playback fine as is, but as soon as i load them into Avidemux to do my editing, the file becomes unsynced. The sound plays about a second earlier than the video.

I have tried all sorts of settings to no avail. The only thing i've noticed is when i transfer the original mpg file (from Topfield), there is also a matching nav file and inf file.

Any suggestions as to what might be going on?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    When my set-top box was working, it did the same thing. It's very easy to just re-sync with AviDemux. Use the SHIFT option (checkbox) just below the audio filters box.
    You will probably need to SYNC FIRST, create a new, synced MPEG file (COPY and COPY Video and Audio)....then do your edits on the new file.....but try syncing AND editing on the original file.....it might work.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks hech54, I gave it a go, but unfortunately didn't get anywhere.
    The original mpg file is fine (synced) if i play it as is on mediaplayer for instance; yet as soon as i load into avidemux then it becomes unsynced.
    It asks if i want to index it as it looks like an mpg file, so as always i say yes. It's from this point it's all out of whack.
    should i be indexing it?

regards
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by dave_63 View Post
    thanks hech54, I gave it a go, but unfortunately didn't get anywhere.
    What value did you use in the SHIFT box? 10, 100, 1000, -10, -100, -1000?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hi again hech54, all sorted. when you said to tick the box, i saw the number and thought "i don't want any offset" so left it zero (I told you i was a newbie!!)

I have since played around with the times until the lips and the words matched (-1000ms seemed to be best).

Thanks for all your help!

Cheers
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    PS do i need to close this or anything?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You may get an audio "blip" at the beginning of the (new)video with a value of -1000....but it's not too much of a big deal.
    The program called ProjectX may be able to fix the audio sync from your "box" but that program is NOT for the faint-hearted.
    Quote Quote