VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Thanks to budwzr (on another thread) I've now discovered Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 10. The purpose is to make a single video out of a number of clips (different formats, different sizes). I tested the Vegas with 9 files - 4xwmv, 4xavi and an mpg. The result was good bar the fact that audio dropped out in the middle. I checked the timeline and there it was - videos 5, 6 and 7 showed no audio.

Videos 5 -7 were all avi so I thought that was the problem until I realised the 4th avi clip rendered fine. I experimented and found that I could load the 3 rogue videos into Vegas perfectly well as long as I did them on their own. That defeats the purpose, of course. Try as I might, I can't get these 3 clips to load their audio into a timeline which already contains clips.

Very odd and annoying. Can anyone suggest a reason/cure?

My thanks for any replies.
    Quote Quote  
  2. what kind of avi files, what kind of audio , what kind of video ?

use mediainfo (view=>text) copy & paste the info back here

You could convert the audio to pcm wav (uncompressed audio). You might use vdub for this (video=>direct stream copy, audio=> full processing mode, audio=> compression, no compression ; file=> save as avi ) then import into vegas
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hello poisondeathray. I've used mediainfo and made two caps - the audio info of the 4 avi files used in my 'vegas test' and the corresponding video info. A lot of text hence the caps rather than posting direct.

To recap, the 4th avi file is fine in vegas. The first three load fine ON THEIR OWN but, when added to an existing timeline, I don't get audio.

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If they will load singly, then right click the audio and "open in audio editor", then save as PCM. To specify the audio editor look in "preferences. Use Audacity if you don't have anything.

If that doesn't work, install K-Lite. Then everything will be hunky-dorry.
    Last edited by budwzr; 9th Jun 2011 at 11:24.
    Quote Quote  
  5. nothing jumps out as being the culprit from that information

you can try the the vdub workaround, or budwzr's suggestion

or demux audio and import seperately for those tracks
    Quote Quote  
  6. Many thanks to you both for taking the time to look at this. I've succeeded in making my video by using virtualdub to give a PCM audio track. This was doubly handy as a couple of the clips I was joining needed their volume reduced.

I was thinking of installing K-Lite as suggested by budwzr as I wouldn't mind being able to use vegas on its own without having to re-edit the odd clip. But I already have Shark007's codecs and, as I understand it, it's supposed to be the most comprehensive codec pack available. Would either of you suggest otherwise?

It's interesting how changing the audio to PCM doubled the size of the clips but at least it works. The size of my newly created video was a surprise too but then I noticed it was avi which always takes a lot of space. So I tried it as mpeg2 and the quality was fine. Even mpeg1 (half the size of mpeg2) was fine.

Thanks again lads.
    Quote Quote