VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello all,
    Many apologies if this has been covered but I am at my wit's end. I am trying to burn a disc with English subs. The movie is a .mkv file and the subs are .srt. I typically use Freemake as a converter and burner but I have not encountered this issue. Is there a DIY thread that I have missed? My computer is a PC btw.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    add the subs to the mkv with mkvmergegui before burning.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    add the subs to the mkv with mkvmergegui before burning.
    Thats fine if you want and can use selectable subs. But you have to "hardcode" them if you want them embedded in the video without doing anything to get them (ie permanent on the video and won't turn off).

However hardcoding requires a reencode fyi. Something like handbrake or format factory would do that.

If your destination player can do selectable subtitles than you don't need to hardcode them. But if you can't than you'll have to.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  4. That Freemake does only a hardcode if that is what he is looking for but handbrake or vidcoder should give better results overall if one wants to re-encode.
    MKVtoolnix can add a sub to an existing video.
    Is your source SD or HD and what is your playback device?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for the tips. My playback devices are either 1. OPPO 971 or 2. Samsung Blu-ray player (both home theater). Why would I want (or need) to re-encode?

I tried using ConvertXtoDVD for the 1st time today and it failed to create subs even though the folder was specified. No problemo for Freemake so far (aside from being a bit slow).
    Quote Quote