VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. 1) is decrypting Blu-Ray movies free in DVD Fab? If not, can you recommend something that wuill decrypt Blu-Ray movies for free?

2) is there a DVD Shrink and Burn type program for Blu-Ray movies?

I'm thinking about getting a brand called Buffalo but I have no idea how reliable this brand is but maybe someone does. I might get it very soon. Anyway, I hope you can answer these questions.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    1. Yep. But it might not support all latest bluray releases.
    2. bd rebuilder and imgburn.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    1. MakeMKV can decrypt and rip Blu-ray. You can either rip as an mkv file, or transfer the entire disc to the hard drive using the Backup function. MakeMKV is free while in beta (and has been in beta for years now), though you do have to go to their forum and download the beta key each month or so.

2. Agree with BD Rebuilder and ImgBurn.

3. Buffalo does sell Blu-ray burners, if that is what you meant, but they don't manufacture their own drives. They rebrand them and use their own firmware. Buffalo used to use Pioneer exclusively as the source for their optical drives, but I do not know if that still holds true. Most of us recommend Pioneer Blu-ray drives as the best available in burning quality.
    Quote Quote  
  4. if I chose "fab" to do it, which mode do I select? on 2) I will try rebuilder. and 3) http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008CNXXM4/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1K4Q...I2DRFKR18F75IU this is the one i'm thinking of getting.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    When you get DVDFab, you'll get the trial for the entire program, with all the modules. Click on Try and then use the Blu-ray Copy section (not the Blu-ray Ripper). But DVDFab has been having legal issues in the US and they are not supposed to be accepting money from US citizens for their programs. How this affects their trial/free section is clear as mud. See here: http://club.myce.com/f116/disc-decryption-free-versions-dvdfab-335966/

MakeMKV is simpler. All you have to do is click File-->Backup to get the entire movie decrypted. And the beta keys are found on this page when you need one: http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1053

Don't know about that Buffalo drive. I never recommend the slim, usb drives without their own power supply, so I just don't keep up with them.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Bamahusker View Post
    if I chose "fab" to do it, which mode do I select? on 2) I will try rebuilder. and 3) http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008CNXXM4/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1K4Q...I2DRFKR18F75IU this is the one i'm thinking of getting.
    That blu-ray writer belongs to that class of USB devices whose power source is solely taken from the USB port itself. While I have no problems with purely solid-state USB devices such as flash drives, devices that feature things like motors and lasers that will surely draw much more current average and peak are another story. One thing that buffalo drive has going for it is it duly comes with two USB connectors, so you plug in both in case you sense it's acting flakily. Power is drawn from both; USB connection only from one. At least its designers implicitly acknowledge they can't predict which USB ports the drive will be plugged in, with possibilities of an underpowered USB port arising. Standard-wise, USB2 has peak current of 500mA; USB3 is 900mA. It's hard to tell though if this is followed to the letter on a plethora of devices from PCs to big screen TV sets. Writing to BD-Rs is a very critical operation, not something I feel comfortable entrusting to unknown/unpredictable power sources. It's always best to just use the data part of a USB port, and to apply external power to the USB device being plugged in. Because that buffalo has no external power option, IMHO best to look for another that has.
    For the nth time, with the possible exception of certain Intel processors, I don't have/ever owned anything whose name starts with "i".
    Quote Quote  
  7. well 1) I am aware that iof I get the full version of Fab, it will rip,shrink, and burn DVD's and Blu-Rays, but the full versions are in 2 sections, not 1 for both,, and even then you're talking over 100 bucks. 2) I appreciate the links. I hate that it has a free trial though but you did include the registration key. will that program do it all including the shrinking and burning? or do I have to use BD Rebuilder still as well as imgburn? I hope BD is not a free trial either. 3) while I understand your concern about Buffalo, I had picked out another one before that was about the same porice but it indicated it did not do commercial DVD's or Blu-Rays. I don't want to pay a lot of money though, so having said this, what would you recommend?
    Quote Quote  
  8. BDRebuilder and ImgBurn are free.

You don't have to pay for DVDFab (aside from the fact that you may not be able to anyway due to the recent court case). When the trial expires, click on "Try" and you get into the free part (DVDFabHDDecrypter). Fab has always been purposely vague as to updates to the free decryption and supposedly such updates lag behind updates to the pay version. How much of a lag is unclear, I don't recall anyone here making a guess on that.

Most member here will say that you don't want to use Fab's re-encoding anyway, as BDRB does a superior job of re-encoding.

I heartily agree that external enclosures should have their own power supplies, especially burners.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  9. Well if I choose the regular free mode I have now for DVD it should work? You don't think buffalo is a g good one to use then?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ...it did not do commercial DVD's or Blu-Rays...
    Any functioning, undamaged blu-ray drive worth its salt will read commercial DVDs & blu-rays. Whether you can view/inspect what it reads is a largely function of the OS, the s/w player program, and the interaction between the two.
    For the nth time, with the possible exception of certain Intel processors, I don't have/ever owned anything whose name starts with "i".
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Well if I choose the regular free mode I have now for DVD it should work? You don't think buffalo is a g good one to use then?
    1) Nobody really knows anymore what the hell DVDFab any version will do following massive changes in their website and a loss in a US court case. Anybody here who is willing to guarantee you anything is a fool. It may or may not work. It may work today and not tomorrow. It may work today and demand tomorrow that you pay for it to keep working. Nobody knows right now.
    2) turk690 very clearly answered your question that buying this Buffalo device is not a great idea. If you are going with an external burner then you MUST buy one that comes with a power brick you plug into a socket for real power, not that unreliable USB powered crap that Buffalo offers. This will be inevitably followed by a post from you in which you are completely incredulous that Buffalo or any other company would sell something that may not work. You really have no idea how the industry works. Manufacturers do this ALL THE TIME. Some of the disk drive manufacturers sell external drives that rely only on USB power and the drives are too large for most computers to be able to provide sufficient power for the drive, yet this doesn't stop dumb consumers from buying them and coming to us crying about problems with their drives. They're not happy to have us tell them that if they put the drive in a new enclosure that comes with its own power brick it will solve their problems, but some do this and report - wait for it - that it solved their problems completely.
    Quote Quote  
  12. According to fab,they do in fact still sell their products.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by Bamahusker View Post
    According to fab,they do in fact still sell their products.
    So try to buy it.

The court injunction forbids MC, Visa, Paypal, Amazon Payments, and some named major banks from processing payments by US customers. And maybe other avenues as well that I'm forgetting. For those who are not US citizens, I suppose it's business as usual for Fengtao.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    According to fab,they do in fact still sell their products.
    After all the heave-ho why not just try better payware alternative AnyDVD
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!