VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a Sony RDR GX7 and its awesome. I have been playing around with it for a bit and speciafically one mode stands out - VR mode. I have learned its cool features and uses and have also learned it tempermentals so to speak. You see VR mode questions all the time. There is just not alot of knowledge of this mode. Anyway, I have been using it to do some recording of various things, setting chapters, setting thumbnails, playlists and so on. There are cool features there to really make and professional DVD. I have learned they are hard to read in other players and computer drives. For me, once done with the disc and finalized it becomes readable in my computer drive. I am currently using Roxio Easy CD/DVD Creator 6 and I just wanted a disc copy to give to a friend of mine. It burns, but does not make the dvd-r properly. Its starts by making writing contents and then goes right to closing the disc. In the drive window the DVD-RW VR disc shows a DVD_RTAV file and in that are 2 VR_MANGR files and a VR_MOVIE.VRO file. Are these files just not burnable? I just got a upgraded 16x Dual layer burner that came with Nero so I might check into that software, but never have used it. So long story short. Got a DVD-RW VR disc which the Sony finalized and need to make a copy. How can I make that work?
    Brent
    ps By the way, I am aware that the copy will not show the detailed contents like the recorder can. It should just play the video, but the copy has the ability to skip to set chapters correct?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Use TMPGEnc DVD Author, you can use it free for 30 days, then it's $70. Click create new project, then add DVD video, click on the drive, the rest is pretty self explanatory.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Brent,

I have a RDR-GX7 as well. I've had it just 2 weeks, and have only made dvd-rs, so I can't help you.
    But I was wonder if you wouldn't mind answering a question for me.

On the front panel, when any of the four indicator lights for synchro rec, timer rec, finalized, and progressive are active, does the bullet point light up and the word ?

Example: when playing a finalized disc, does the front light up the indicator dot and the word finalized ?

On mine just the dot lights, and I'm wondering if this is correct.

Regards,

Dean
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, only the tiny dot of light illuminates by the words on the front panel of the Sony RDR-GX7. I wish the whole word lit-up, and I wish that the writing / text was much larger.

Speaking of the Sony GX7 DVD recorder, has anyone had any luck with blank 16x speed DVD-Rs?? My Sony RDR GX7 DVD recorder craps out when you try a 16x blank. Does anyone have a confirmed working firmware fix for this? Can the whole recorder be swapped-out? How come Sony doesn't care about this when you call their 'customer support'?
    Quote Quote  
  5. I've read comments in the review section were owners have made the same statement concerning x16 media. I'm currently using x16 Verbatims and used a 25 pack of x16 TDKs with only one problem. One of the Verbatims would not finalize. I was able to save the recording by using Isobuster and Ifoedit.
    Why I'm having success with x16 media is beyond me. I seemed to have had great luck with this recorder. I do know mine was a earlier model that was made in Japan. Perhaps it has a better burner and different firmware.
    There was a firmware update, but it was for a loading tray issue. I also have had no tray problems.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johnnyelectron
    Yes, only the tiny dot of light illuminates by the words on the front panel of the Sony RDR-GX7. I wish the whole word lit-up, and I wish that the writing / text was much larger.

Speaking of the Sony GX7 DVD recorder, has anyone had any luck with blank 16x speed DVD-Rs?? My Sony RDR GX7 DVD recorder craps out when you try a 16x blank. Does anyone have a confirmed working firmware fix for this? Can the whole recorder be swapped-out? How come Sony doesn't care about this when you call their 'customer support'?
    That Sony is an older recorder. The manual probably tells you what speed DVDRs it will take. Since 16x weren't even around when that recorder was produced, I doubt that it can take 16x media.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    others wrote: "That Sony is an older recorder. The manual probably tells you what speed DVDRs it will take. Since 16x weren't even around when that recorder was produced, I doubt that it can take 16x media."

So I ask, what are you supposed to do with a $400+ DVD recorder when you can't find anymore 8x DVDs for it? Throw it away? Sony has not been forthcoming with options, and that's my big beef- with Sony giving us more options. If it was an $88 throw-away piece of plastic DVD junk is one thing, but a 25 pound piece of steel that originally cost $800 is another.
    Throw us a bone Sony.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johnnyelectron
    others wrote: "That Sony is an older recorder. The manual probably tells you what speed DVDRs it will take. Since 16x weren't even around when that recorder was produced, I doubt that it can take 16x media."

So I ask, what are you supposed to do with a $400+ DVD recorder when you can't find anymore 8x DVDs for it? Throw it away? Sony has not been forthcoming with options, and that's my big beef- with Sony giving us more options. If it was an $88 throw-away piece of plastic DVD junk is one thing, but a 25 pound piece of steel that originally cost $800 is another.
    Throw us a bone Sony.
    Its the same nearsighted thinking which allows Xboxes to be sold last year before 360 came out and now you can't find replacement game controllers for them. And the same thinking which allows Sony to make Digital 8 camcorders and then stops selling the batteries that fit them. And the same way they don't make 8 tracks for 8 track machines anymore. Its all about right now, the flavor of the week. Once they sold you their product, they don't give a crap.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by johnnyelectron

Throw us a bone Sony.
    I've also had success with Nexxtech DVD-Rs, these are the Circuit City brand, I belive the media code is UMC. Their labeled x16, but are infact x8. Give em a try, their cheap. You could use you computer and burn em to better media, if you are worried about using a store brand media.

Have you tried x16 Verbatim or TDK?

Office Max has 50pk x16 Verbatim for $12.99 this week. Just finalized one a minute ago.
    Infact, its my 125th x16 Verbatim DVD-R with my GX7.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    TDK 25 pack DVD-R rated "1-16X" not only choaks the Sony GX7, but also got 3 frisbees in a row with a 2-month old LG burner in the computer that is supposed to be rated 16x, so I'm wondering if it's a bigger TDK issue at play here too?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by johnnyelectron
    TDK 25 pack DVD-R rated "1-16X" not only choaks the Sony GX7, but also got 3 frisbees in a row with a 2-month old LG burner in the computer that is supposed to be rated 16x, so I'm wondering if it's a bigger TDK issue at play here too?

Perhaps I'm the "Golden Child", but I also have a LG burner, purchased Oct.'06, and have had no coasters with TDK media.
    Quote Quote