VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    hi all. so we all know about yuvplayer, turns out there were several revisions made. however, they all keep missing the one dimension i use mostly, 720x480. so, i have to constantly manually set it every time i load it up, also, it crashes randomly for no reason. i am currently using yuvplayerv1.0 that is least problematic other than the the status bar where the rw/ff/play/stop controls are, randomly get distorted for no known reason. i don't know where to begin to get a *new* revision built for the 720x480, preferably to audo default to 720x480 dimension upon load. so, i'm thinking..

i think that the player is just reading the raw data. i can probably build my own, if i knew the spec of the videos data stream. i believe it is raw data, no dimension or framerate or other such header details. i could be wrong. but, i create the raw yuv (420) through ffmpeg. actually, i just want to create a very simple player that can read these files and play or scrub through the videos. i can build through delphi.

i actually would prefer to just build from scratch instead of some clumsy command line nonsense. i want to buld something that i can just drag/drop/play in mind.

can someone help ? thank you in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  2. a. instead of saving the files as RAW saving them as y4m might be a good start (basically raw video just with headers), this way most players can decode the content via directshow (assuming ffdshow or similar is installed and configured to handle raw video)
    b. if you use ffmpeg for file creation, you could use ffplay for file playback; If your content always has the same specs you could create a batch file (or shell script, depending on the os) so that ffmpeg will be called with the same parameters when you drag&drop a file onto the batch(/script) file. Downside with ffplay would be that it only can play content forward and not backward iirc.

If you really plan to write a player yourself it should be easy using libav as basis.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Can't you use RawSource() in an AviSynth script? Then you can use any player. Something like:

RawSource("576i25_stockholm_ter.yuv", 720, 576, "I420")
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    thanks all.

selur, i use the following to create yuv, not y4m files:

ffmpeg -i video.avs -f rawvideo -pix_fmt yuv420p -y video.yuv

yes, i forgot about the avisynth rawsource. i have a script to do just that. lot on my mind, i forgot about it. however, after thinking about it some more, i decided i would like to code a simple player, that i can drag/drop to, no sound, just a simple left/right panning. i think all i need to know is the format that the .yuv file is in, planer or other, etc. i think these are just blob of data and we are left to determine how to deal with it, resolution, the f.rate, and so on. since the ones i create are mainly 720x480 and 24p/30p, error checking is not manditory. if these are just 720x480 stitched back to back, i might be able to figure it out. i'm just not familiar with how ffmpeg creates them.

edit: only way to know is to tray different things.
    Last edited by vhelp; 5th Aug 2013 at 19:56.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Wouldn't it be easier to make a batch file and put it in your SendTo folder? For example:

Code:
    echo RawSource("%1", 720, 576, "I420") > "%1.playyuv.avs"
    "G:\Program Files\MPC\MPC-HC.EXE" "%1.playyuv.avs"
    del "%1.playyuv.avs"
    I used 720x576 because the YUV file I have has that frame size. Change the path to your media player, of course.
    Last edited by jagabo; 5th Aug 2013 at 21:39.
    Quote Quote