VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,

Can someone please tell me if there is a way to convert a DVD to an avi file? i need certain clips from various dvd's to fit on one dvd. I know i can use TmpgEnc to convert from avi to a DVD but i cannot figure out how to get an Avi (or mpeg) from my DVD.

Thanks,

Neil
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I haven't done this in a while, but I think the way I did it before was to use DVD Decrypter to copy the vob files to my hard drive, then I used VirtualDubMod to open the vob and save as AVI.

Try that.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Once you rip the files to hard drive you can convert them to avi with;
    TMPG
    virtualdub
    DVDx
    xmpeg
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    if your clips will fit on dvd without reencoding (ie your files total less than 4.7Gb), you could extract your vob files with your ripper of choice, use Chopper or ChopperXP to cut the vobs down to just the footage you want, then import them into an authoring software that accepts vob files (like DVD Lab).

no reencoding necessary, ChopperXP is really fast (about 1 minute to process an entire 1Gb vob file) so you can do it quick and lose zero quality.

the only problem I've run into with DVD Lab and vob file is a little hitch if you go from the end of one vob to the beginning of another.
    - housepig
    ----------------
    Housepig Records
    out now:
    Various Artists "Six Doors"
    Unicorn "Playing With Light"
    Quote Quote  
  5. Hey guys,

Thanks for your suggestions. I did try some of the programs you mentioned but i still cannot get the final results i'm looking for. Here are the problems: FYI, i use Smart ripper to get the VOB files to my hard disk. Thanks the only thing that has worked so far.

- When i use TMPGEnc to open the VOB's, TMPGEnc recognizes the first VOB of a DVD but cannot recognize the second or third VOB and gives me an error message of "File can not be open or unsupported". Also if this did work, i would end up with 2 mpeg files and therefore 2 DVD Chapter buttons when i import the files to Sonic DVDit. Is there a way to avoid this?

-When I use DVDX 2.0, I try to encode as an AVI but even though i select an uncompressed AVI Codec, and the status bar shows a file of about 40GB for a 25 minute video, I end up with a file of about 4GB and it is unplayable in Windows media player and gives me an error. With the Cinepac codec, the quality is so poor.

-Chopper XP is great for editing but i havn't needed to use it yet (trying to get through the first hurdles first).

Thanks for any suggestions.

Neil
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    -Chopper XP is great for editing but i havn't needed to use it yet (trying to get through the first hurdles first).
    okay, if Chopper XP works for you, and you're going to output to a dvd in the end, why are you still trying to convert to avi? If you cut the vob files down to just the footage you want, and import them into an authoring software that accepts vobs (like DVD Lab), you don't NEED to do any conversion....

.... I'm confused....
    - housepig
    ----------------
    Housepig Records
    out now:
    Various Artists "Six Doors"
    Unicorn "Playing With Light"
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    And Virtual Dub mod also accepts VOBs.
    Hello.