VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. As you can see i have a ATI x800GT video card. i often use the TvOut [S-video jack, bt i use the svideotoRCA adapter] to see the picture on my tv. i also have onboard 7.1 ch. My Tv in the lounge is about 20 meters away from the pc so i use a simple 2 by 2RCA cable to do this job although i can only get 1 channel out from the other end into my yamah reciver.

What cable should i use so that i can get atleast 2ch audio and a decent picture quality. coxal?.
    iam not after spending alot so yeh.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    1. s-video is best for video..but it sounds like you don't have s-video on your tv.
    2. does your motherboard have optical out and does your receiver have optical in? If so this is what you want to use for sound.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You need to run both audio and video about 20 meters? If so, I'm surprised you get much of anything out the end of the RCA cables. You would be better off to use a RF modulator and run a single coax to the TV for audio and video.

You 'might' be able to use coaxial audio if you have S/PDIF coax out from your sound card and have a coaxial input on your receiver. Then you could have 7.1 audio to the receiver. I assume you mean a surround sound receiver. But that's a long way to run audio of any kind. A 20 meter fiber optic would cost a fortune.

OR....If your present audio is clean to the receiver with no hum, use both RCA leads for stereo sound and the RF modulator and a cable TV type of coax for the video to the TV.

Or am I misunderstanding what you need to do?
    Quote Quote  
  4. oh wel i have S/PDIF out. & i like the idea of coaxal cable for audio video using RF modular. My reciver is a 7.1 channel and it has all sorts of sockets. coaxal, optical, rca, s-video etc etc.

how do i put s/pdiff through rf modular.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I doubt you can run the digital audio through the modulator. Stereo would be your best bet with that. But instead, you might be able to run the digital audio with your existing RCA cable and the video with the modulator and coax. That is if your S/PDIF out from your audio card is compatible with your amplifier. That part would be easy to test as you already have the cable in place.

Generally, trying to send video or audio that far of distance will cause problems. The RF signal is more efficient and should have less loss over the coax. Or you may just end up with the modulator for both sound and video. That would still likely be better than what you have at present.
    Quote Quote  
  6. but how do u prepare a coaxal cable towards the pc end.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I don't know your cable end settups there. You can get adapters to go from the threaded coax ends to RCA connectors.

Here's a site that might give you some idea of RF modulators. I think it's in NZ: http://www.threedoubleyou.com/rfmodulators.htm
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by redwudz
    I don't know your cable end settups there. You can get adapters to go from the threaded coax ends to RCA connectors.

Here's a site that might give you some idea of RF modulators. I think it's in NZ: http://www.threedoubleyou.com/rfmodulators.htm
    Is this only for video?. cant i do both on 1 coaxal?.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The modulator would be able to send stereo audio and video over the same coax direct to the TV, but not 7.1 as there would be no way to get 7.1 either into the modulator or back out from the other end of the cable, AFAIK. But you might put the 7.1 over a separate cable direct to your receiver. That part you can try with your existing RCA cable hookup. S/PDIF out from your audio card over the RCA cable and in to the S/PIDF input on the receiver. If that works with no noise and a decent signal level, you will have your 7.1 audio. You would then turn off the sound on your TV and use the receiver audio. For the modulator, you are best to use a real coax and not the RCA cable. A regular TV coax will have the proper ends on it and be much better than the RCA cable.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by redwudz
    But you might put the 7.1 over a separate cable direct to your receiver. That part you can try with your existing RCA cable hookup. S/PDIF out from your audio card over the RCA cable and in to the S/PIDF input on the receiver.
    How can i put a rca cable into the s/pdiff socket on my pc and i dont have s/pdif socket on my reciver i have optical input.

Originally Posted by redwudz
    For the modulator, you are best to use a real coax and not the RCA cable. A regular TV coax will have the proper ends on it and be much better than the RCA cable.
    i want to plug the coxal into my reciver, my reciver doesnt hav coxal input but it has coaxal digital input.

what should i do.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If you only have an optical digital audio input on your receiver for digital audio, then it won't work. My receiver has both optical and coaxial (RCA) digital input. Sorry.

The coaxial TV type coax would go from the modulator to your TV for video and audio. No 7.1 audio possible that way. But you should get a better picture/audio than just a regular RCA cable with composite video/audio. Your TV would 'tune' the modulator output frequency/channel.

There has always been some confusion on the term 'coaxial'. Any RCA cable is a coaxial type. That just means it has a center conductor and a shield around the outside. RCA type cable usually has a stranded center conductor.

The more common definition of 'coaxial' is a RF (Radio Frequency) type of cable used for RF transceivers or TV high frequency use. It has a solid copper center conductor insulated with a low loss poly plastic, then is wrapped with a braided or foil outer conductor and plastic coating. Unfortunately, some companies call the digital audio inputs/outputs on a receiver/video card/DVD player coaxial also, even though it is just an ordinary RCA type cable. The easy way to tell the two types apart is the ends. RF coax cable almost always has a screw on or twist on or similar ends, where a RCA type just plugs in.

I hope I haven't confused you with all this.
    Quote Quote  
  12. it is a bit confusing.
    My Reciver has RCA inputs aaswel.
    My reciver is Yamaha RX V657
    Quote Quote  
  13. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    From Yamaha's site:
    digital (4 optical and 2 coaxial) inputs
    So apparently it does have coaxial audio inputs, If I have the right model. http://www.yamaha.co.jp/english/product/av/products/ht/rxv657.html
    Quote Quote  
  14. yeh so what do u think i should do
    Quote Quote