VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi there,

I was meant to get answers back from a computer technician but he has not responded and I don't think he will. So I have come to this forum to get my answers required for a year 12 subject (Research Project). These questions are about the optimisation of After Effects CS6 and it would be greatly appreciated if somebody could answer these questions. (If I am in the wrong place please suggest the correct place for me to be able get these answers)

Questions:

1. In your words what is optimising?

2. How would you optimise something specific?

3. In general, is optimising repetitive and takes a long time?

4. In general, is optimisation simple and straightforward?

5. Is optimisation a similar process for different programs/hardware?

To optimise a machine for a video editing (rendering especially) would you:

a. Focus on the software?

b. Focus on the computer parts being used?

c. Focus on the specific task (rendering)

d. Focus on all of the above

6. Is there ever a stopping point when optimising or can it go on forever?

7. How can you tell when something can no longer be optimised?
    Last edited by lolsausages; 18th May 2015 at 09:10.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Might to helpful to know what you are trying to 'optimise' ?........After Effects is very complex and sophisticated software , and is capable of many different functions. 'Optimising' any particular function can also depend on many different parameters.

As it stands, your list of questions is largely meaningless.....
    Last edited by pippas; 18th May 2015 at 08:52.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I use CS6. Sorry about that, I thought I had stated it already

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search PM
    If this is an academic exercise you obviously have to find the answers yourself, if you just copy them from someone else you defy the whole purpose of the exercise. How about you show us what you already got and we can certainly give you some clues or hints but copying answers verbatim is not going to help you.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    I agree with pippas. "Optimise" what procedures for what purpose? What kind of video are you working with? What do you want to do with it? What is your intended output?

AfterEffects is excellent for its intended functions but, as newpball says, no one can answer your question for everything that's possible with AE, and there's a lot that you have to learn on your own. We need more information about what you're trying to do.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    For this project I am required to do multiple types of research. These are:

Internet based research

Survey research

Interview research

Your own experiments taken

To get a higher mark you are required to do more than one research process. With this being said, internet based research and an interview will be my research types. I will be quoting you and not using your answers as if they are mine.

I am sorry for the confusion I was just in need of these interview questions reasonably fast and didn't think of explaining this subject
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I will not be doing any major 3D processes in After Effects. I will be mainly doing special and visual effects ranging from simple to complex.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Not going to get specific here, but most methods of "optimizing" workhorse apps have to do with:

*Finding & diminishing/avoiding any potential software or hardware conflicts with the app
    *Removing (temporarily or not) as many non-critical background or side processes that the app is not dependent upon.
    *Allocating proper amounts or combinations of memory
    *Streamlining the secondary memory (usu. HDD storage) subsytem/ pipeline for efficient throughput speed, incl. RAID, scratch discs, RAM discs, SSDs, VM
    *Choosing app settings (incl. codecs) and "best practices" that make a given workflow efficient and consistently productive

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  9. 1. In your words what is optimising?
    Making something perform better . That could include many many things in terms of AE. It's a very broad question, so you get a very broad answer

2. How would you optimise something specific?
    It depends on what that specific thing is

3. In general, is optimising repetitive and takes a long time?
    It obviously depends on what you are "optimizing".

4. In general, is optimisation simple and straightforward?
    It can be sometimes, other times, very complex

5. Is optimisation a similar process for different programs/hardware?
    Sometimes

To optimise a machine for a video editing (rendering especially) would you:

a. Focus on the software?

b. Focus on the computer parts being used?

c. Focus on the specific task (rendering)

d. Focus on all of the above

All of the above. You obviously need to isolate the "bottleneck", which can be any of the above depending on on the specific situation. That's the "traditional" answer

But there are other things that don't fit "nicely into a,b,c, or d . For example project creation optimization - things like layer order, nesting, structuring a project more efficiently and flexible. Some complex effects can be done more simply with fewer layers, fewer effects, thus faster render times. If you can write an expression or use a script that saves hours of manual work, that is a huge optimization. Tips & tricks. - Unless that is what you meant by "a" software ?

6. Is there ever a stopping point when optimising or can it go on forever?

It can go on forever. There is always newer, faster, hardware for example. You can always add more expensive HW, multiple nodes, distributed / parallel / net rendering , rented render farms

7. How can you tell when something can no longer be optimised?
    It never happens. See Q6. But cost $ is usually a limiting factor

Are you interested in the research process, or the actual answers to AE CS6 optimization?

Part of the problem is your questions aren't constructed or presented very well. Is that part of the grade or marks ? Is this a marketing class or computer science class ?

If you ask a generic question, you're going to usually get a generic answer
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you poisondeathray for answering my questions. To answer your question, they questions were meant to be generic so I can refine my research which is a main part of this subject (The subject is actually called research project)

Thanks for the feedback I have reworded the final that I need questions so it isn't so general

How do you optimise for rendering in After Effect CS6?

Would optimising After Effect CS6 for rendering be repetitive?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by lolsausages View Post

How do you optimise for rendering in After Effect CS6?
    I'll jump in here. More RAM, faster processor, faster disks, bigger cache, frequent purging of media and database cache, paying attention to what processes within AE are fast and which ones are slow and adjusting your workflow to leverage that. Previewing only the layers you need, turning off motion blurs, frame blending until necessary, previewing at less than full resolution -- to name a few.

Originally Posted by lolsausages View Post
    Would optimising After Effect CS6 for rendering be repetitive?
    I'd call it iterative.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by lolsausages View Post
    For this project I am required to do multiple types of research. These are:

Internet based research

Survey research

Interview research

Your own experiments taken

To get a higher mark you are required to do more than one research process. With this being said, internet based research and an interview will be my research types. I will be quoting you and not using your answers as if they are mine.

I am sorry for the confusion I was just in need of these interview questions reasonably fast and didn't think of explaining this subject
    I am sure that by internet research they don't mean to go to a forum to get someone else to answer your questions.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search PM
    Mm, I don't see a problem with getting information from forums.I sure wouldn't browse a manufactuerr's hyped-up product ads for information. But the question is too vague. For example, if you're working with NTSC video for broadcast output, you set up AE's display for proper color calibration and set up filters for NTSC levels. You also calibrate your monitor and set up AE to use the monitor's color profile in your OS for proper display. AE's manual explains how to do this.

As others mentioned, hardware enters the picture too.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  14. I think we've given OP a little guidance on what specifically to look up.

Either that or he started this thread moments before class time and it's long forgotten.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Whew, this-un here is a humdinger.
    Quote Quote