VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Can you help me identify VHS artifacts on this pictures. These tiny but thick vertical lines, they are all over the video. They do not show when I hook my VCR directly to LCD TV. Also, if you see any other distortions that can be fixed with filters.

I use Samsung 6 head VCR (probably no TBC) + Sony HC32E camcorder to transfer analog to digital.

Which virtual dub filter do you recommend?

Thank you.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Test.12-05-08_19-03.00.avi_snapshot_00.01_[2012.05.08_19.04.bmp
Views:	1793
Size:	1.58 MB
ID:	12362  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Test.12-05-08_19-06.00.avi_snapshot_00.21_[2012.05.08_19.08.39].bmp
Views:	875
ID:	12363  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Test.12-05-08_19-07.00.avi_snapshot_00.00_[2012.05.08_19.08.24].bmp
Views:	825
ID:	12364  

Quote Quote  
  2. You have severe luma/chroma crosstalk. The chroma channels are leaking into the luma channel. The capture card isn't separating luma and chroma properly from the composite signal.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    You have severe luma/chroma crosstalk. The chroma channels are leaking into the luma channel. The capture card isn't separating luma and chroma properly from the composite signal.
    I do not use capture card, I use Sony camcorder. And signal is fed to Sony camcorder through S-Video cable (VCR-scart-S-VIDEO-Camcorder-firewire-computer).

You recommend new converter device?
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'd say your s-video cable is faulty. It seems to me you are using a normal vcr (not s-vhs) and should use a composite cable instead
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by themaster1 View Post
    I'd say your s-video cable is faulty. It seems to me you are using a normal vcr (not s-vhs) and should use a composite cable instead
    Thank you. I swtched to composite and got much better results. I bought cable for sony camcorder from china, do you think I should get better cable?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It looks that luma/chroma crosstalk is gone, but image lost it sharpness. Is there any filter for this? Should I get better S-Video cable and try again? Problem might also be in my SCART TO S-VIDEO converter. Or should I stick to composite?

PS:

Here is new screenshot. I do not think that I can get more than this out of this tape. Maybe I should stick to composit?

Notice the colorless space on the right. That is probably because of composite cable?
    Last edited by VHSDude; 8th May 2012 at 14:54.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I don't think the problem is in the cable. If I understand your post correctly

VCR-scart-S-VIDEO-Camcorder-firewire-computer
    you are using a SCART to s-video adapter. The problem is probably in that adapter.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    I don't think the problem is in the cable. If I understand your post correctly

VCR-scart-S-VIDEO-Camcorder-firewire-computer
    you are using a SCART to s-video adapter. The problem is probably in that adapter.

I will go bankrupt on this project. What kind of adapter is best for SCART>S-VIDEO transfer?

My camcorder has a LCD screen which previews VHS footage. On that screen picture look completely normal. No bottom line, and color on the right side is normal. Why is that so? I will try to record some VHS footage directly to MiniDV tape, and see how that looks like.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by VHSDude View Post
    What kind of adapter is best for SCART>S-VIDEO transfer?
    I suspect the adapter you have is really an s-video to composite SCART adapter based on this simple circuit:

http://www.epanorama.net/circuits/svideo2cvideo.html

That circuit does not work in reverse. If the player outputs separate chroma and luma (ie, an s-video signal) you should be able to find an real SCART to s-video adapter that just connects the right pins of the SCART port to the s-video output.

On the off chance you have the correct adapter, go through the player's setup screens and see if there is an option to output s-video or composite at the SCART connector. Set it to s-video.

Originally Posted by VHSDude View Post
    My camcorder has a LCD screen which previews VHS footage. On that screen picture look completely normal. No bottom line, and color on the right side is normal. Why is that so? I will try to record some VHS footage directly to MiniDV tape, and see how that looks like.
    If you compare the same shot on the LCD screen and your digital captures you'll see that the edges of the frame aren't visible on the LCD. That's why you don't see the discoloration at the right edge and the head switching noise at the bottom of the frame (head switching noise is on all VHS tapes). TVs all "overscan" the frame to hide such defects.
    Last edited by jagabo; 9th May 2012 at 08:56.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Druze

Does your camera ( used as passtrough has tbc not all of them have one) if it has they are usually good but if it hasn't than it is better to passtrough from vcr to dvd recorder most of them have some sort of frame sync/tbc and good decomb filters so you could feed composite to them and svideo out from them into capture card of the pc. That way you get losless (lagarith or hyffyuv ) codecs in to the pc so you can do some filtering after.

I will go bankrupt on this project. What kind of adapter is best for SCART>S-VIDEO transfer?
    In the balkan area ( it was on limunodo.rs has some panasonic dmr es10 very good tbc/sync frame passtrough ( with broken dvd lens ) for 100 din around 7-8 kuni ) tv cards you can buy them for like 10-15 kuni. So all round 10 euros it is very cheap.

although i also have minidv camera and firewire on my pc i dont use it for vhs because I am fan of losless ( some of the direct mpeg2 guys here will not agree with me on this, but if it is the time that maters it is the same as minidv pass or dvd rec pass even better losless is always better in quality than dv and both are very easy editable

Pozdrav
    and welcome to the forum
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by VHSDude View Post
    Is your VCR an S-VHS machine? Does it have a menu to enable it to output S-video (sometimes mislabelled S-VHS) out of the SCART socket.

If you can answer yes to both questions, you can use a SCART>S-video adapter.

If you answered no to either or both quetsions, you cannot use a SCART>S-video adapter. Just use composite. It's all you have coming out of your VCR.

As Jagabo says, there's no point trying to use a dumb adapter to convert composite to S-video - it won't work.

Cheers,
    David.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you guys. Susjedu poseban pozdrav

I will check that out in the manual.

I got a pretty decent results with composite cable. Problem now is audio. It has a lot of noise. I will try to remove it with Audacity. I have some material on high quality BASF tapes. Material was taped on pro studio equipment, but it also has a lot of audio noise. Weird thing is that I do not notice that noise on TV.

Is it possible that my VCR audio output volume is to high and that why captured sound seems so sharp and with lot of noise?
    Last edited by VHSDude; 11th May 2012 at 16:48.
    Quote Quote  
  13. There may be two audio tracks on VHS, a low-fi, mono track, and a hi-fi stereo track. You want the hi-fi track if the tape and player have it. There's usually a button on the remote or something in the setup menus.
    Quote Quote