VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am being strongly advised to turn off Noise Reduction on my VCR and re-do the captures.
    However I cannot find any option to do this ?

The VCR 'was' an expensive pro-sumer 4 head model, Panasonic NV-HS800 .... referred to as SVHS PAL Superdrive

It does have the AI Crystal View ... but have this 'off'
    (this is described as dedicated microprocessor control of tapehead to circuitry)

There is a soft-sharp slider ... always been left at centre position.

16:9 left at auto
    Edit: off
    Video: Colour

Anybody know if there is NR disable feature?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    My little Panasonic NV-HD620 has Crystal View so I would not read much into that.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Had never turned it 'on' ... just mentioned it, in case this was the Panasonic NR equivalent.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Of course the 'smart-arse' answer woould be to read the manual but by my amazing powers of dudection (deliberate miss-spelling) I guess you do not have one. And a google revealed all sorts of scams in an attempt to locate an online edition.

Sure someone will have the 'correct' answer but that soft/sharp slider is intriguing. Given that a result of noise reduction is to soften the image, try placing it at full 'sharp' and then at full 'soft'. Methinks you will notice the difference. I would guess that it is effectively 'off' at full 'sharp'

PS I would edit that topic title to make your question stand out.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Your Super Powers are wrong
    ... I have the manual (sad I Know, I have original box, plastic bags & even box for the remote) ... and it does not mention NR anywhere.
    This is why I thought I'd put up this post as multiple times I'm being told to 'turn NR off'
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Gee, that is sad

Try what I suggested.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Sure someone will have the 'correct' answer but that soft/sharp slider is intriguing. Given that a result of noise reduction is to soften the image, try placing it at full 'sharp' and then at full 'soft'.
    My Panasonic NV-HS860 has the same thing. I put it on 'Soft' because with it at 'Medium' it's still sharpening, something I don't want. I also have a separate '3D DNR' button (which I keep turned off) so I don't believe the sharpening is at all related to DNR. I can't help with his problem, though, but it could be that the DNR is on permanently if there's nothing about it in his manual. Too bad.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Sure someone will have the 'correct' answer but that soft/sharp slider is intriguing. Given that a result of noise reduction is to soften the image, try placing it at full 'sharp' and then at full 'soft'.
    My Panasonic NV-HS860 has the same thing. I put it on 'Soft' because with it at 'Medium' it's still sharpening, something I don't want. I also have a separate '3D DNR' button (which I keep turned off) so I don't believe the sharpening is at all related to DNR. I can't help with his problem, though, but it could be that the DNR is on permanently if there's nothing about it in his manual. Too bad.
    Now you say that, I seem to recall an earlier topic that mentioned the button. Is there a light that illuminates when the button is pressed to show that it is 'on' ?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Now you say that, I seem to recall an earlier topic that mentioned the button. Is there a light that illuminates when the button is pressed to show that it is 'on' ?
    Yes, on either side of the place where you put the tape in are buttons for the line TBC and the 3D DNR. You push them in to turn them on/off and they both light up when on. They're independent of each other, of course. Which makes me wonder why they couldn't get that right with the NTSC AG-1980 model, or the JVCs. It just seems so obvious in hindsight. Maybe back then no one could tell how much the DNR messed up the picture when all you had to watch on was a CRT TV set.

The sharpening is in the menu.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Now. Has our friend seen the light ?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Unfortunately not on my HS800 model ... only buttons to L or R of tape slot are 'Power on' and 'Eject'

My ADVC110 arrived today ... will try out some tests over next few days.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I think that generation of Panasonic VCRs just has the sharpness slider, and (if you're lucky) a three position hardware (i.e. real, not in a menu) switch labelled something like edit/norm/denoise. The edit position supposedly took something out of circuit for when dubbing VHS>VHS (the results are quite noisy). The norm position gives you the result of the slider, and the denoise position always looked exactly the same as putting the slider to the "soft" setting (to me, in the early/mid 1990s, on a CRT).

Cheers,
    David.
    Quote Quote  
  13. > I think that generation of Panasonic VCRs just has the sharpness slider,

yes it has that ..

> a three position hardware switch labelled something like edit/norm/denoise.

Nope ... it has Edit 'off / On'

Manual says this is set to 'On' when using external Edit controller.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post

OK .. sorry for delay (had to buy a replacement ADVC unit)
    I have carried out test as you suggest 3 files uploaded of 'off air' BBC recording - SP VHS PAL same 15 sec clip each time.
    Edit is set to OFF
    VCR <svideo> ADVC <firewire> PC
    Capture with WINDV set to AVI type 2

With slider set at Mid point, at Soft & at Sharp .... each captured as DV and then compressed in VD using Lagarith with no filters or adjustments.
    Be interested in your view .... (pun intended)

(BTW - surprising the significant difference in captured file size, between soft & sharp settings - 30%)
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well I will now do my best impression of Kevin Peterson facing Mitch Johnson and fail to duck

Just looked at the two extremes. My impression is that the 'soft' is full noise reduction whereas the 'sharp' has visible noise artifacts.
    Quote Quote  
  16. So my 'capture' with it set to mid 'detent' position is probably the best to use ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Personally, I would set it at 'sharp' and let the avisynth filters do the rest.

But what do I know ?
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    My impression is that the 'soft' is full noise reduction whereas the 'sharp' has visible noise artifacts.
    Maybe we see what we want to see, but I don't see any sign of any noise reduction and think the one using the 'Soft' sharpness setting is the best of the bunch.
    Personally, I would set it at 'sharp' and let the avisynth filters do the rest.
    Even with all the edge enhancement and aliasing created?

Ultimately it's Tafflad's decision and he should use the one that looks best to him. It's an interesting comparison of what the three Sharpness settings do and thanks, Tafflad, for making them available.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Formerly 'vaporeon800' Brad's Avatar
    Search PM
    If you look at the scene changes, there are temporal artifacts from both the previous frame(s) and the next frame(s) -- but they exist on all three captures.

Even the "mid" setting is full of halos. Maybe try halfway between soft and mid?

Where's the comparison with "EDIT" on? Does that option disable the sharpness slider?
    Last edited by Brad; 29th Dec 2013 at 20:42.
    Quote Quote  
  20. The manual states that edit 'on' is only used when Panasonic external h/w edit controller is used.
    No mention of any impact on NR (but who knows)

However happy to try ...Here is same clip - slider to 'mid point' and edit to 'ON'
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by Tafflad; 30th Dec 2013 at 08:44.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Any comments on the 'Clip with Edit On' ??

As a further variable .... as I no longer have TBC .... one suggestion was to use 'Pass Through' on a DVDR

I have captured same clip, with slider set to 'Mid point' Edit off capture path is:

VCR <svideo> DVD E9HH <svideo>ADVC110 <Firewire> PC (WinDV) then cropped and saved as compressed Lagarith

Be interested in your views on comparison with Sample2
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  22. Formerly 'vaporeon800' Brad's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Tafflad View Post
    Any comments on the 'Clip with Edit On' ??
    Never saw it, as your edit didn't bump the thread. Unlike the previous samples, the levels aren't blown out. Sharpness-wise it does look the same as Sample 1.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by vaporeon800 View Post
    Originally Posted by Tafflad View Post
    Any comments on the 'Clip with Edit On' ??
    Never saw it, as your edit didn't bump the thread. Unlike the previous samples, the levels aren't blown out. Sharpness-wise it does look the same as Sample 1.
    So does that mean I should redo my captures with 'edit on' and slider left to mid position?

Just trying to find out what are best settings.
    Panazonic only mention that edit should be 'on' when using external edit controller, but it appears that it changes analogue signal.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I don't know why the EDIT position made the levels better, but if it does that consistently, I'd use it. If it's a freak, I'd be worried about why the levels from your captures aren't consistent.

I would set someone the challenge of taking the soft capture, and making it as sharp as the "middle" capture in AVIsynth. I reckon the middle capture does include some sharpening, but it's approximately the amount you'd want, and so if you can't do better in SW you might as well take advantage of it in the VCR. Except your wedding tape, with its aliasing, might be a different matter.

I would absolutely not use the sharp setting. It's destroying the picture and adding lots of artificial junk that isn't on the tape.

The DVD-R is adding a beneficial TBC to this capture chain, even though (as in the other thread) it's also taming levels (useful again in this case) and softening the picture slightly (not desirable, but barely noticable). It's clipping the left of the picture off this time! Still, I'd use it. Others may disagree.

Cheers,
    David.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Thnx
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by manono View Post
    I have this unit too, but usually keep it on. Is it more for when set to Sharp mode which introduces more noise, then 3D DNR tries to reduce that noise a bit?

I had mines set to Auto before, and noticed especially with a blue background how noisy it was, but then tried it on Soft and it's nearly all gone, it's a world of difference. But did think the image was a tad soft, maybe turning off DNR will help increase the detail.
    Last edited by Master Tape; 25th May 2023 at 17:44.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Was there consensus reached on best settings for this unit? I reckon SOFT with DNR is the best for me but keen to hear others successes.
    Quote Quote