VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,

I have 2 episodes of the same TV program. One in English with French subtitles, and one in French without subtitles (also one has a catchup of previous episodes).

How do I split off the French audio track and English-with-Fr-subtitles video track, and then sync and combine them together so that I get French audio with French subtitles.

Why does nobody ever provide French dubbing and subtitles together? Its so hard to concentrate on learning French if you keep seeing the answer in English on the subtitles, but sometimes the speech isn't clear enough for a non-native to do without any help.

I found the avidemux tutorial here but it doesn't explain this much.

TIA
    Banjo
    Quote Quote  
  2. First a little more info is needed.
    Is the french subtitles softcoded? Then you may extract them and synchronize to the french video with Subtitle Edit. Or perhaps simply find them on the web.
    What sort of files - container/video-, audio-codecs? How are you going to watch them?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Sorry, being a noob to video stuff I forgot you might need the video specs.

If it was a simple as a subtitle file I would just add that to the folder with .srt extension and then ask VLC to enable subtitles. No, the subtitles are hard coded into the video.

Here are the 2 video file details ...
    Code:
    $ exiftool file.VOSTFR.avi
    File Type                       : AVI                                                                                             
    MIME Type                       : video/x-msvideo                                                                                 
    Frame Rate                      : 23.976                                                                                          
    Max Data Rate                   : 122.7 kB/s                                                                                      
    Frame Count                     : 79354                                                                                           
    Stream Count                    : 2                                                                                               
    Stream Type                     : Video                                                                                           
    Video Codec                     : ffds                                                                                            
    Video Frame Rate                : 23.976                                                                                          
    Video Frame Count               : 79354                                                                                           
    Quality                         : 10000                                                                                           
    Sample Size                     : Variable                                                                                        
    Image Width                     : 640                                                                                             
    Image Height                    : 360                                                                                             
    Planes                          : 1                                                                                               
    Bit Depth                       : 24                                                                                              
    Compression                     : XVID                                                                                            
    Image Length                    : 691200                                                                                          
    Pixels Per Meter X              : 0                                                                                               
    Pixels Per Meter Y              : 0                                                                                               
    Num Colors                      : Use BitDepth                                                                                    
    Num Important Colors            : All                                                                                             
    Audio Codec                     :                                                                                                 
    Audio Sample Rate               : 41.67                                                                                           
    Audio Sample Count              : 137905                                                                                          
    Encoding                        : MP3                                                                                             
    Num Channels                    : 2                                                                                               
    Sample Rate                     : 48000                                                                                           
    Avg Bytes Per Sec               : 16000                                                                                           
    Bits Per Sample                 : 0                                                                                               
    Total Frame Count               : 79354                                                                                           
    Text Junk                       : VirtualDub build 32706/release                                                                  
    Duration                        : 0:55:09                                                                                         
    Image Size                      : 640x360                                                                                         
    $ exiftool file.FR.avi                           
    File Type                       : AVI
    MIME Type                       : video/x-msvideo
    Frame Rate                      : 25
    Max Data Rate                   : 0 kB/s
    Frame Count                     : 75756
    Stream Count                    : 2
    Stream Type                     : Video
    Video Codec                     : divx
    Video Frame Rate                : 25
    Video Frame Count               : 75756
    Quality                         : 0
    Sample Size                     : Variable
    Image Width                     : 624
    Image Height                    : 352
    Planes                          : 1
    Bit Depth                       : 12
    Compression                     : DX50
    Image Length                    : 439296
    Pixels Per Meter X              : 0
    Pixels Per Meter Y              : 0
    Num Colors                      : Use BitDepth
    Num Important Colors            : All
    Audio Codec                     : 
    Audio Sample Rate               : 41.67
    Audio Sample Count              : 75756
    Encoding                        : MP3
    Num Channels                    : 2
    Sample Rate                     : 48000
    Avg Bytes Per Sec               : 26329
    Bits Per Sample                 : 16
    Duration                        : 0:50:30
    Image Size                      : 624x352
    I intend to either play them using VLC on the laptop, or copy them to the NAS array using SMB and watch them using XBMC on the Raspberry PI
    Last edited by banjo67xxx; 22nd Apr 2014 at 10:54.
    Quote Quote  
  4. It's OK to be a noob - everbody was.
    But first. Have you checked the web for the subtitle? Since it's a TV show I would start at:

http://www.addic7ed.com/

or use

http://www.subtitleseeker.com/

If you can't find the subtitles and have started with AviDemux then perhaps:

Load your files into AviDemux one at a time. You appeareantly have to make a cut in one or the other in order to make them in sync.
    Extract the french audio track from the french video in AviDemux using Ctrl+Alt+S.
    Replace the english audio using MKVMergeGUI. Pretty strait forward. Load the english file. Untick the audio. Add the french audio. Start muxing.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks for the links. I've now found some subtitles which I can add with VLC. Its a bit tricky messing around with "g" and "h" to try and sync them up with the video. It appears the subtitles included the catchup from the previous episodes, which the French dubbed video was missing.

Any handy tips for quickly syncing subtitles?

BTW, the 2nd link subtitleseeker.com tried to give me some sort of .exe file which is completely useless on Linux
    Quote Quote  
  6. No handy tips for Linux. For Win: Subtitle Edit.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Thanks. Got it all fixed with subtitleeditor which allows me to simply select a sequence of speech near the start of the program and one near the end, then use the scale function on the subtitles to adjust the start time and scaling factor in one hit.

Its also useful to know how to mess around with audio and video as per your previous instructions, although seaching http://www.addic7ed.com/ is a lot simpler.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Good to know - and thanks for reporting back.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!