VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I purchased a download of a set of 14 wood carveing videos for my brother. He, being very sensible, does not use a PC so I want to put the videos onto a DVD so that he can watch and study them on an ordinary DVD player.

I successfully used 'Freemake Video Converter' to make a trial DVD but realised that he may want to access various parts of the DVD rather than playing it right through or use fast-forward to find the part he wants to view.

So, is there any way I can divide the burn into 'chapters' with maybe some sort of index on the front page?

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Adding chapters to a DVD is dvd authoring so I'm moving you.

So, you add the chapters in the authoring(or all-in-one converter) program. I don't think freemake video converters supports that. Try instead for example dvdstyler, convertxtodvd or maybe avstodvd.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
  4. Your describtion is a bit vagaue to me. However I once made a YouTube video for a user in another forum about how to make a text based menu in DVDStyler to select an episode of a TV show for his mother to use. Is it something like this you're looking for?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by videobruger View Post
    Your describtion is a bit vagaue to me. However I once made a YouTube video for a user in another forum about how to make a text based menu in DVDStyler to select an episode of a TV show for his mother to use. Is it something like this you're looking for?
    Let me try to make my requiremeents more clear. I have 7 videos (obtained legally, paid for) that I have put on a DVD+RW. Each video runs on, one after another (joined together). I want to make each video a chapter, for easier access, and, importantly make a list of the chapters at the beginning of the DVD so that each chapter can be accessed without fast-forwarding through the whole DVD to find the section you want to watch. Since this is a tutorial video some chapters will need to be re-run several times.

BALDRICK. Thanks for your help, I have had a play with VobBlanker and although it seems an excellent program it does not seem to be able to create a 'new front page' (list of chapters) only modify an existing one from the original.

Please bare in mind that this is my first attempt 'medling' with vids/DVDs so not very savvy yet.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Paulouk View Post
    BALDRICK. Thanks for your help, I have had a play with VobBlanker and although it seems an excellent program it does not seem to be able to create a 'new front page' (list of chapters)...
    It's called a 'menu' and you're right. Its function isn't to create menus but it can create chapters. For menu creation you'll need an authoring program. DVDStyler has already been suggested. I believe AvsToDVD can do the same - take a DVD and create a menu (and chapters) for it without reencoding anything.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    [QUOTE=manono;2303544]
    Originally Posted by Paulouk View Post
    It's called a 'menu' and you're right. Its function isn't to create menus but it can create chapters. For menu creation you'll need an authoring program. DVDStyler has already been suggested. I believe AvsToDVD can do the same - take a DVD and create a menu (and chapters) for it without reencoding anything.
    I've had a look at AVStoDVD and it says it is not possible to create an 'Active' menu page to select chapters.

With DVDStyler I think it is possible to do it but I've tried several times and not been able to fathom out how to do it.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Paulouk View Post
    it says it is not possible to create an 'Active' menu page to select chapters.
    What do you mean by "active?" You can certainly create menus in AVStoDVD which is what you initially requested.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    it says it is not possible to create an 'Active' menu page to select chapters.
    What do you mean by "active?" You can certainly create menus in AVStoDVD which is what you initially requested.
    I successfully used 'Freemake Video Converter' to make a trial DVD but realised that he may want to access various parts of the DVD rather than playing it right through or use fast-forward to find the part he wants to view.

So, is there any way I can divide the burn into 'chapters' with maybe some sort of index on the front page?.
    From this quote of my original posting I should have thought it fairly clear what I want to do. It does mention 'chapters' and 'index on 'front page' (perhaps I should have called it menu not index but that's a bit irrelivant) It also says 'access to various parts of the DVD rather than playing it right through'. So I would have thought it quite obvious what I'm trying to do.

But I'll try to spell it out in even simpler terms. I have a tutorial DVD that consists of 7 individual short videos (about 20mins each) I want to create a menu (active menu) at the start of the DVD showing 7 chapters (one for each of the short videos) By active menu I mean that by by selecting one of the 7 chapters on the menu you are taken directly to the short video that you have selected. I'm sure we have all seen this type of thing on commerical DVDs. Hope this clears up the 'misunderstanding'.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by Paulouk View Post
    Hope this clears up the 'misunderstanding'.
    The only misunderstanding is at your end. You can't blame smrpix for questioning your choice of the word 'active', as it means nothing in this context. I thought you might be intending to say 'motion menu', where (apparently) all you meant was how to create a functioning static menu, and the use of the word 'active' was redundant. Anyway, if you can't figure out how to create a menu with chapters ask in the dedicated AvsToDVD thread here:

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/277852-AVStoDVD-Support-Thread
    Quote Quote  
  11. @Paulouk

AVStoDVD can create a menu with 7 thumbnails (static or motion). If you select one of the 7 thumbs, the corresponding title will be played. Usually we refer to chapters when there is a sub-menu (after the main DVD menu) for each titles where the titles are segmented in smaller portions (chapters). AVStoDVD cannot create chapters sub-menus.

Bye
    MrC

AVStoDVD Homepage
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by _MrC_ View Post
    @Paulouk

AVStoDVD can create a menu with 7 thumbnails (static or motion). If you select one of the 7 thumbs, the corresponding title will be played. Usually we refer to chapters when there is a sub-menu (after the main DVD menu) for each titles where the titles are segmented in smaller portions (chapters). AVStoDVD cannot create chapters sub-menus.

Bye
    Thank you for your help MrC. Tried to download AVStoDVD by following your link and all I got was a setup file SETUP_TSV24ZLTC.exe fro Conduit Ltd. I declined the APs recommended but still did not end up with AVStoDVD.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    do it again using avi2dvd
    each video will be a separate scene selectable from the main menu
    you can also set 'chapter timing/marks' , example a 30 minute video/scene would have (5) chapters each 6 minutes
    it would play as (1) video, but by pressing the next button on the remote it would jump to the next scene

i hope i made that clear

Originally Posted by videobruger View Post
    Your describtion is a bit vagaue to me. However I once made a YouTube video for a user in another forum about how to make a text based menu in DVDStyler to select an episode of a TV show for his mother to use. Is it something like this you're looking for?
    Let me try to make my requiremeents more clear. I have 7 videos (obtained legally, paid for) that I have put on a DVD+RW. Each video runs on, one after another (joined together). I want to make each video a chapter, for easier access, and, importantly make a list of the chapters at the beginning of the DVD so that each chapter can be accessed without fast-forwarding through the whole DVD to find the section you want to watch. Since this is a tutorial video some chapters will need to be re-run several times.

BALDRICK. Thanks for your help, I have had a play with VobBlanker and although it seems an excellent program it does not seem to be able to create a 'new front page' (list of chapters) only modify an existing one from the original.

Please bare in mind that this is my first attempt 'medling' with vids/DVDs so not very savvy yet.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by Paulouk View Post
    Thank you for your help MrC. Tried to download AVStoDVD by following your link and all I got was a setup file SETUP_TSV24ZLTC.exe fro Conduit Ltd. I declined the APs recommended but still did not end up with AVStoDVD.

Just use the following link: http://sourceforge.net/projects/avstodvd/files/avstodvd/AVStoDVD%202.7.3/AVStoDVD_273_...l.exe/download

Bye
    MrC

AVStoDVD Homepage
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    [QUOTE=_MrC_;2303914] Thank you, but it says quite clearly in the help section of AVStoDVD FAQs about Authoring Q6.2 that 'a menu page to select chapters is not possible'. And that is what I wanted to do in the first place and why this threat was started.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by Paulouk View Post
    Thank you, but it says quite clearly in the help section of AVStoDVD FAQs about Authoring Q6.2 that 'a menu page to select chapters is not possible'. And that is what I wanted to do in the first place and why this threat was started.
    Together with his earlier comment in this thread about the program being unable to create chapter sub-menus, I think that's what he's referring to in the FAQ - the creation of a separate menu for chapter selection. Ordinarily a Main Menu will have 'Play' and 'Scenes' (Chapters), 'Audio', 'Subtitles', 'Extras', and the like. Then to choose chapters you'll be taken to a different menu.

However, it's perfectly 'legal' to have your Main Menu with only chapter selections. So I think you're good to go.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    We know Avs to DVD can produce chapter markers at xx minutes

Maybe I'm mistaken, but I believe he is trying to get a "scene" menu like commercial DVDs
    His video does not have chapters, and is one complete full length file
    And he would like to have scene choices like a commercial DVD

He keeps saying chapters, but I think he means discrete scene selection

The only way I know, would be to cut the file in to sections and place all of them in AvsToDvd
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by theewizard View Post
    The only way I know, would be to cut the file in to sections and place all of them in AvsToDvd
    Or just rebuild the DVD from the original 14 files. It would be nearly automatic.
    Last edited by smrpix; 25th Feb 2014 at 14:02.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i missed that post or got confused along the way
    if he has 14 original files, then using them avstodvd would create a menu with 14 scenes/chapters
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just to clear up the possible misunderstanding. I have a tutorial video download that consists of 7 individual videos. I converted the download useing 'Freemaker' and they are now on my hard drive and a trial DVD that I burnt. Each video was put on as a seperate file but of course they now play right through, one after the other.

I want a start menu giving me the choice of being able to play any one of the idividual 7 videos without having to run though all of them. I do NOT need to find any particular place (scene) within each seperate video. The start menu does NOT need any facny things like language, subtitles, extras etc.

(Note just the give some info on the background of this thread. This is a set of 7 short tutorial videos purchased (as a download, DVDs not available) from a famous wood carver. Being tutorial videos, some will need to be run serveral times over to study them, hence the requirement to access them easily as individual ones. Obviously 'fast forward/backward could be used but thats rather tedious.)
    Quote Quote  
  21. If you'd just followed the advice given several times (to use AvsToDVD to create a main menu with seven buttons linking to the seven videos), you'd be done by now. Instead you'd rather create more confusion both in your own mind and in the minds of those trying to help. In your first post you said there were 14 videos. Only later did you say there were only 7.

If you have any problems going the AvsToDVD route, just ask in the thread to which I linked earlier.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by manono View Post
    If you'd just followed the advice given several times (to use AvsToDVD to create a main menu with seven buttons linking to the seven videos), you'd be done by now. Instead you'd rather create more confusion both in your own mind and in the minds of those trying to help. In your first post you said there were 14 videos. Only later did you say there were only 7.

If you have any problems going the AvsToDVD route, just ask in the thread to which I linked earlier.
    Thank you for your help manono but you seem to pick up on inconsequential points in my posts. You are quite right I did say 14 and now refer to only 7. The point is I cant get all 7 videos onto one DVD so am having to make two, 7 on each one but that point is irrelevant because once I have found out how to do the first one then I can use the same method to make the second one. OK.

There is no confusion in my mind as to what I want as my last post shows quite clearly.

I have tried useing AVStoDVD several times but still cannot see how to link the individual buttons to the relivent videos.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by Paulouk View Post
    I have tried useing AVStoDVD several times but still cannot see how to link the individual buttons to the relivent videos.
    Really dude, it's pretty much automatic. It's almost impossible to NOT do. Did you hit the Run Editor button?

There is no confusion in my mind as to what I want as my last post shows quite clearly.
    Unfortunately, as clear as you may be in your own mind, the rest of us require language to understand you. Meaningless "Active" and 7/14 and now a second disk are only a few of the ambiguities you've introduced. The mind-reading forum is under repair.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Assuming you have 14 videos, and are putting 7 videos/installments on each disc

It's still exactly the same thing

Load the 7 files in correct order?

Then click on run editor
    The menu page/screen will come up you can rename them our move them

I think your problem is, you did not run the editor and you did not set : go to main menu: for first instruction
    Instead you disc is on :auto play:
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    Meaningless "Active" and 7/14 and now a second disk are only a few of the ambiguities you've introduced. The mind-reading forum is under repair.
    I'm sure there are plenty of people of ingenuity on here who can easily workout what is meant by 'active' especially when I have explained at least twice in the course of this thread what I am trying to accomplish. ie press a button (or select a title) at the start of the DVD to take me to a chosen part of the DVD.

Like 'threewizard' says the number of videos is irrelevant because once I have done the first one successfully I will obviously use the same method to do the second one or how many I might need.

Further more, 'smrpix' I find your sarcasm offensive and demeaning to this Forum so please desist from joining in on this tread any more.

'threewizard', I think you may be right that I did not use 'run editor' correctly so I'll try again. Thanks for your advice.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Palouk, you may want to re-read this thread from the beginning.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Dvdflick would have been a simpler solution and less headaches all round.

Before adding titles in order, press project settings

1: Set General (title, title space, the rest left alone)
    2: Video choose advanced button and select "copy mpeg2 streams"
    3: Leave audio alone
    4: Playback, deselect the two check boxs then change "after title has finished playing" to Return to menu
    5: Burning, select output as iso.

vlc can open iso and play the title in which you can check menu and title operations before submitting to media for burning.

If project exceeds media in left hand pain of dvdflicks main screen return to 2 and uncheck "copy mpeg2 stream" ... dvdflick will use auto setting for project to fit media.

This will create a dvd that once a chapter has played will return to main menu ... you simply go to chapters menu to continue.
    Quote Quote