VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I finally started the digitisation on my old camcorder tapes

The first batch of Digital 8 went OK - used a S-Video lead on a Panasonic camcorder.

Having trouble with the next batch on Video 8 - when using the grabber software I get sound but no video when using the composite video lead(s) Yellow- video, White- Audio.

Using

Canon UC2000
    White and Yellow phono leads
    Silvercrest USB Grabber
    Cyberlink Power director software
    Toshiba Sattelite

Any ideas?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I will confess I know zilch about Power Director but with most capture software you have to set the video source and there should be separate settings for s-video and composite.

You might also wish to try a different cable in case your current one is damaged. Of course, the connector on the capture device may also be damaged.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Gurdo View Post
    The first batch of Digital 8 went OK - used a S-Video lead on a Panasonic camcorder.
    Say whatnow? Panasonic made Digital8 camcorders in the UK? And why didn't you use the Firewire output?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vaporeon800 View Post
    Originally Posted by Gurdo View Post
    Say whatnow? Panasonic made Digital8 camcorders in the UK? And why didn't you use the Firewire output?
    I expect that's because the OP's capture PC is a Toshiba Satellite. Not many recent laptops have a Firewire port or an ExpressCard slot to add one.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks for all your help and comments problem is now sorted

Delving into Powerdirector there was a settings bos I'd missed to switch the input of the capture device between s-Video and Compossite. "Doh!"

Tried one of my old tapes but got some judder so I've ordered a head cleaning tape from Amazon to use before I proceeed.

TTFN
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Post back when that head-cleaning tape is tested.

Do you also see the 'judder' when the tape is played back through the tv ?. If you can then a head-cleaning tape is not the answer.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    No it's definetley tape judder. I can see it in the camcorder viewfinder om playback so it's definitely a tape/transport issue.

I understand that I need to spool the tapes through before using, they are 20 years old.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!