VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A while back someone kindly pointed me to little program that did not need to re-encode on trimming a DivX file. I've lost the file and cannot remember the name of the file. Any help please.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There are a number of programs that can do this. Avidemux and virtualdub are two such programs. Be sure to select copy in the video and audio options in avidemux and select the container you want. In virtualdub use direct stream copy.

Edit - both are windows programs fyi. There might be a linux version of avidemux but I don't know for sure.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by yoda313 View Post
    There are a number of programs that can do this. Avidemux and virtualdub are two such programs. Be sure to select copy in the video and audio options in avidemux and select the container you want. In virtualdub use direct stream copy.

Edit - both are windows programs fyi. There might be a linux version of avidemux but I don't know for sure.
    Avidemux, that's the one. Couldn't ask for a quicker response than that Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by didikai View Post
    Originally Posted by yoda313 View Post

Avidemux, that's the one. Couldn't ask for a quicker response than that Thank you.
    I have a problem. I can't seem to get a precise edit. It copies from a few frames back and not where I marked
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    That's because you need to cut on key frames. Many people neglect to mention that.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    That's because you need to cut on key frames. Many people neglect to mention that.
    So how do I do that?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    So how do I do that?
    Forget about getting a precise edit?
    I remember reading about some sort of "smart rendering" of Divx files but I've never tried it.....not even sure it exists.
    Quote Quote  
  8. While doing some research the other day on the Internet I found out how to cut on key frames in AviDemux. You use the up and down arrows on your keyboard. It is not as precise as the frame level you may be used with .mpeg2 files. It look to me when editing an AVCHD file with AviDemux that the key frames were 4 seconds apart. It may be different for .divx files.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I think SolveigMM media splitter does that. https://www.videohelp.com/tools/SolveigMM-Video-Splitter
    Last edited by budwzr; 4th Nov 2012 at 13:14.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    So how do I do that?
    At the bottom of the screen in AviDemux, you should see what type of frame when you pause the video. A key frame will show up designated as an I frame.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Kerry56 and Tom Saurus....you are missing the point. Try reading the OP's problem again. Finding key frames is not his problem....the key frames are in the wrong place.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think avidemux will only do smart edits with xvid files.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search PM
    Kerry56 and Tom Saurus....you are missing the point. Try reading the OP's problem again. Finding key frames is not his problem....the key frames are in the wrong place.
    I thought he might not know that a keyframe is also called an I frame. If he is looking for the word "keyframe" to show up in the list of frames within Avidemux, he'll be waiting a while.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Virtualdub has a smart render now. Use that. Choose video>full processing mode. Then video Smart render. Then if it is divx, goto your divx or xvid codec setting, either will work fine, and set it for one pass and a decent bitrate. Now make your cuts and save out. It will only reencode a few frames here and there as needed and then you can cut anywhere and blazing fast.

Solveig can do it to but is comercial software, very nice too if you want to buy, but Virtualdub if you want to for free.
    If you want to see what I've done with my videos,
    check out my video work on youtube, http://www.youtube.com/user/duhmez/
    Quote Quote