VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi,

I'm new here and my question is about attaching a Beachtek DXA 4C to a Canon HF M52.
    The Beachtek came with the camcorder I bought a couple a years ago. A Canon XM2 to be precise.

Since that camera is defect, I wonder if I can attache it to my new camera (HF M52).
    They say it was made for the XL1/XL2 camera series, but so far, I don't see a problem why it should not work with any other?

I do not (yet) have a xlr microphone, so I can't test if it works.
    So if there's someone here who knows or has any experience with it, please tell me.

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. It probably won't work as-is.

Newer cameras require a mini plug and have mic level inputs. That box has phono plugs and probably line level outputs. At the very least you will need an adapter, more likely an adapter and an attenuator.

You really want this:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/672719-REG/Beachtek_DXA_2T_DXA_2T_Universal_Comp...Camcorder.html
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Okay thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    Newer cameras require a mini plug and have mic level inputs. That box has phono plugs and probably line level outputs. At the very least you will need an adapter, more likely an adapter and an attenuator.
    The passive Beachtek DXA-4C has mic level outputs, ready to be plugged to camcorder mic inputs via RCA-to-1/8" stereo phone jack adapter cables. These Beachtek boxes can only satisfactorily be used with camcorders whose mic input AGC can be turned off, so a more important question should be: can the AGC of the mic input of the Canon HF-M52 be overridden, or is there a choice for with and without AGC in its audio menu??
    For the nth time, with the possible exception of certain Intel processors, I don't have/ever owned anything whose name starts with "i".
    Quote Quote