VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I used Video: Capture... option in PotPlayer to capture two videos in MKV format, but the ending files cannot be demuxed by any software I tried (MKVExtractGUI-2, MKVcleaver, Mkv2Mp4, mkv/avi to mp4 and pgc.NET). I used Project Meteorite and mkwdclean to try to fix them, but it doesn't work. The first file plays as an audio in MPC-HC, while PotPlayer shows video normally. I think it's because I didn't click on Stop button when recording in PotPlayer, I immediately exit the program. The second file plays just fine in both players, but it also cannot be demuxed. The sample files are here. Thank you in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Do you have to capture in mkv container? Can't you choose some other container like mp4, avi?
    Quote Quote  
  3. streams can be extracted using ffmpeg and than remuxed to mp4 (posted the command lines over at doom9), the remuxed files and the originals play fine in MPC-HC (using LAV-Spliter)
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    Do you have to capture in mkv container? Can't you choose some other container like mp4, avi?
    Sure I can, but at the time I didn't know about this problem with MKV files. I will contact them right away. I tried capturing to MP4, and everything seems alright. Oh, and the funny thing is that it says Recommended in brackets right next to MKV format, but in fact it is totally corrupted.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Ranching, perhaps because you didn't press the "stop" button is the reason the file is corrupted?
    If so then make sure you press the stop button when using?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Not really. That was only for the first file which has no video in MPC-HC. The other file is corrupted too, even though I pressed the Stop button normally.
    Last edited by Ranching; 2nd Dec 2012 at 05:26.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Thanks to Selur and his incredible application called Hybrid, now I fixed the problem. Two options that did the job: Config → Input settings → General Settings → Stream extraction with ffmpeg and Always extract timecodes from mp4/mkv/flv files.
    Quote Quote  
  8. here some explanation why the options were needed:
    Stream extraction with ffmpeg: makes sure ffmpeg is used when extracting the video&audio stream, since mkvextract doesn't like them
    Always extract timecodes from mp4/mkv/flv files: makes sure time codes are passed through from input to output
    Quote Quote  
  9. Here's the explanation from PotPlayer author:

PotPlayer is using own H.264 codec FCC using for muxing MKV.

But it is almost standard.

So your demuxer programs's fail.

So I cannot want to change PotPlayer MKV muxing.

So use other player or other video codec(MPEG4...)
    I don't see a point of using a modified H.264 codec for muxing MKV files.
    Quote Quote  
  10. He only modified a part of the headers, no clue why, probably something like 'Security through obscurity',...
    Quote Quote  
  11. It seems that VLC (v2.0.4) produces bad recording MP4 file too. It can be played just fine with PotPlayer and VLC itself, but it lags in MPC-HC and it is, again, an impossible task to remux the file. What's up with it?!
    Quote Quote  
  12. I attached two versions of your sample one remuxed while ignoring the timestamps the other 1st remuxed to mkv than remuxed to mp4.

Cu Selur
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote