VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,
    I'm trying to convert HI8 videos to pc with a Sony handicam, when the videos are seen in the TV directly trough the AV input, it looks nice and fluid (first video), but when captured, it vibrates too much to make it usable.

I tried with an EasyCap capture device and with and with an RFU89 cable from sony that allows input to anntena (using a HVR900 analogic capture form Hauppage) , but with both systems have similar problem.

Tried also with windows7 and XP, and the software used is virtualdub (with interlacing options from previwe acceleration tried) and honestechtv.

Original fromm tv (mobile recording directly)

Captured video
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That's typically an interlacing trouble !
    When capturing , you may have to tell your capturing software it is interlaced.
    When playing an interlaced video with VLC , I usually have to tell it to de-interlace it.
    Unlike TV sets, Many PC software do not automatically recognise interlaced stuff.
    De-interlacing may be necessary when converting to some PC format ,but doing this, you will lose fluidity.
    Last edited by misermidas; 28th Mar 2012 at 04:57.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No, it's not just the interlacing (I agree - try VLC) - the whole things is wobbling. It needs a TBC when capturing, or a different capture device.

Cheers,
    David.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've tried the interlacing options from VLC but didn't work.
    I used two devices to capture, Easycap and RFU cable with HVR900, and have the same problem.
    So it's not possible to capture as fluid as it's played directly on TV trough AV?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by smashwings View Post
    So it's not possible to capture as fluid as it's played directly on TV trough AV?
    Yes, it's possible. But you will need a capture device that's less sensitive to time base problems or a time base corrector. A different player may work better too.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I thought about using a Digital8 camera to play the tapes and output them digitalized directly trough firewire.
    But cameras that play also Hi8/Video 8 I found in eBay ( Sony TRV270E, TRV828E, TRV210E, etc), in the operating manuals says:

• Noise may appear when your camcorder plays back tapes recorded in the Hi8/standard 8 system
    • Sound is muted
    • The previous recording may appear as a mosaic image when playing back in de Digital8 system

So, I may expect the same jitter/wobbling effect and also no sound?

Someone has used a Digital8 camera to directly digitalize?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try other brands. If memory serves Sony in later years started to eliminate the analog playback feature.
    Quote Quote