VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Im looking for a good standalone unit to convert a VHS tape to a DVD..

Any suggestios? Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Go with a Pioneer model like the 220/225 (no built-in HDD) or try the 531/533 models which have a built-in HDD. The 220/225 are the same (stay away from the 231) and the 531/533 are almost the same but the 531 lacks a firewire input whereas the 533 does feature a firewire input. Each (531/533) have a built-in 80GB HDD but there is also the 633 model which has firewire input with a 160GB HDD.

Another option ... maybe even better ... would be the JVC models. Like Pioneer they have a non-HDD model and another model that does have a built-in HDD (160GB if I recall). Not sure on the model numbers though.

Use PRICEGRABBER to find the best price.

Good Luck !!!

- John "FulciLives" Coleman

P.S.
    Pioneer and JVC are probably the two best brands of stand alone DVD recorders. I have the Pioneer 531 and I am very happy with it but some seem to think the JVC models filter VHS sources slightly better than the Pioneer models.
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The JVC filters work better than Pioneer, in terms of correcting the all-too-common issue of chroma noise found in all VHS tapes.

Get a good VCR, like a JVC S-VHS unit, to play the tapes. And then a good DVD recorder, like the DR-M100S, to record the tapes.

Do NOT buy a combo unit that crams a VCR and DVD recorder into the same box.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote