VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi ive got an audio recording(not my recording by the way) and i would like to see if it was possible to inprove the quality, heres a link to the track in lossless ape format

http://storeandserve.com/download/225249/Track_No04.ape.html

would be great if it was possible,

thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Sounds like it was recorded in a large venue from far back. It's doesn't really sound overloaded, just muddy sound recorded too far from the source. Not really anything you can do AFAIK.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok thanks, whats AFAIK?

edit; as far as i know
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm not an audio engineer, but I've been working with recordings doing transfers and some clean up for about 7 years. There might be some way to isolate individual parts and improve it slightly, but you wouldn't get very much out of it.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    what program would i need to do that? ive got soundforge 8
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    As stantheman1976 said, the person who recorded it was too far away. You can hear them talking to each other, but they only picked up reverberations bouncing off of the walls of the venue. I'll post what you'd get by trying to process the sound, and you'll hear how little you can do with this type of "kid with the walkman" recording. --> im.mp3

When one is that far back, the various audio frequencies from the stage arrive at different times, resulting in....uh.... I call it "Flubber". That's why I won't go to stadium or outdoor festivals any longer. Even worse is watching the video screens of the band playing and hearing the audio arrive a second later.

What a Hard Rock Audio Spectrum Should Look Like

What Yours Looks Like
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok, looking forward to hearing it after processing,

thanks
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i think its slightly better quality, what do u think? Also what software did you use? is it possible to do this in soundforge 8?

thanks again
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I don't think there is anything that can fix "flubber". The effect I used was compression and limiting. I think Soundforge has a plugin called "Track Slammer" or "Wav Slammer". Try it, but remember, you can't polish a turd.
    Quote Quote