VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Came across this and thought I'd start my own thread -

https://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=313306

Originally Posted by gshelley61
    Have a look at the Sony DVP-NS75H (and the DVP-NS71H... same unit, different model number)
    Is this fact? I have been in search for the Sony DVP-NS75H locally then came across the DVP-NS71HP at Costco for $129.99 (HDMI cable included, not so with NS75H)

NS75H
    http://reviews.cnet.com/Sony_DVP_NS75H/4505-6463_7-31814740.html
    NS71HP
    http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11126335&search=sony&Sp=S&Mo=1 05&cm_re=1-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ns=P_Price|1||P_Sig nDesc1&N=0&whse=BC&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=All &Dr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ne=4000000&D=sony&Ntt=sony&No =13&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1

If they are same but renumbered for club sales, then I'm getting it! Would the supplied HDMI cable be worth replacing/upgrading? Connecting to a Vizio GV46L 46" LCD HDTV w/ 1366x768 resolution and 1200:1 contrast. One more question - recommend 480p or 720p for DVD??? I can't tell any difference with my Toshiba, but then again I am replacing it because it is a POS! Many pauses, skips, and pixelations Anybody with this Sony DVP-NS71HP please feel free to comment as well since it is not listed in the DVD player section. Many thanks in advance
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have the NS75H dvd player. Take a look at this thread below.
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=639621

I saw that NS71HP on COSTCO's website that comes with a HDMI cable. I'd buy it in a heart beat if I needed another upconverting dvd player. I have a CYBERHOME upconverting dvd player that came with a HDMI cable. I paid $84.00 from Wally worlds and 2 weeks later they had it at a clearance price of $50.00, my friend got the last one. I only bought it because of the free HDMI cable. I'd say buy the one at COSTCO and if you don't like it then you have the option to return it.
    Quote Quote  
  3. The supplied HDMI cable will be fine. Don't waste money on a "boutique" cable. It's a digital connection. The signal is not dependent on or affected by the cable the way analog audio/video signals might be. As long as it works, you will have great picture.

720p is closest output to your display's native resolution, so that should be best for your setup.

My DVP-NS75H has been a really nice machine for me so far. It plays everything I throw at it, and does a really great job of upscaling. I've had the Oppo on hand, as well... I can't tell any difference between the Sony and the Oppo in terms if picture quality. Certain DVD's, like the Superbit "Fifth Element", look nearly as good as real HD source material. Mine's set to 1080i output and hooked up to a 62" 1080p DLP Toshiba 62HM116 (Costco's version of the Toshiba 62HM196).

I've also got a Toshiba SD-6980 that I use for the HD JPEG feature it has that the Sony lacks, as well as for multichannel DVD-Audio and SACD playback. The Sony does a better job than the Toshiba for upscaled DVD playback, plus it properly displays 4:3 material (pillarboxed) which the Toshiba does not unless you set it to 480p. I use a MonoPrice manual 2 to 1 HDMI switcher between the two.
    Quote Quote  
  4. TV shows on dvd playback quality? One negative I've read is that it doesn't handle interlaced material too well.

By reading through the avsforum, it seems everyone has there own opinion on which resolution to go with and which setting (Standard/Cinema 1). Has anybody here compared sending 480i over component (letting the display do the rest) versus sending 480p/720p over HDMI? Does this thing even support 480i? I see the Oppo does.

All in all I will probably go with this Sony regardless because it does seem to be the best player in its small package as I will be setting on top of my wall mounted LCD (main reason I am not getting the 2 inch deeper Oppo).
    Quote Quote  
  5. Any signal over component goes through lots of processing before it winds up on your 768p display.

The DVD player converts a digital MPEG2 file to NTSC 480i analog component video and sends it to the display input. Then the display's processor has to de-interlace and digitize the analog video back to digital, then scale it up to 768p to match your native screen resolution.

With an up-converting player using HDMI, the player does not go through a digital to analog conversion process. The upscaling is done completely in the digital realm, then sent to the display as a digital stream. The display simply takes the digital video stream and displays it (no conversion from digital to analog, then from analog back to digital is necessary).

In other words... no, your TV upscaling a 480i (or 480p) component video input will not look as good.

Oh, and the DVP-NS75H does a really great job on film based material... not quite as good on video based stuff. Still much better than the vast majority of upconverting players out there, though.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I picked up the NS71HP over the weekend along with Sopranos season 6 part 1 and am very pleased
    Quote Quote