VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have always used BD-Rebuilder for re-encoding to BD25s as back-ups and always used the slowest and highest quality settings. Recently I acquired "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" (US version; legal copy with full case) and it has many problems using BD-Rebuilder. With the output and settings all the same as usual, the log file says 22.9GB but the final output folder ends up being 9-11GB every time. I have a feeling there is some sort of protection on this disc causing this. I have tried every playlist and ended with the same result.

I am trying the same process now, but using DVDFab. I noticed there aren't many settings in DVDFab. I did however select what seemed to be the slowest and highest quality. Has anybody noticed any differences using DVDFab? I currently am doing a full back up from 45GB to BD25 which usually still looks amazing in BD-Rebuilder, just wondering if it'll be the same in DVDFab.
    Last edited by kILLDR3n; 8th Mar 2012 at 17:11.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by kILLDR3n View Post
    I have always used BD-Rebuilder for re-encoding to BD25s as back-ups and always used the slowest and highest quality settings. Recently I acquired XXXXXXXX and it has many problems using BD-Rebuilder. With the output and settings all the same as usual, the log file says 22.9GB but the final output folder ends up being 9-11GB every time. I have a feeling there is some sort of protection on this disc causing this. I have tried every playlist and ended with the same result.

I am trying the same process now, but using DVDFab. I noticed there aren't many settings in DVDFab. I did however select what seemed to be the slowest and highest quality. Has anybody noticed any differences using DVDFab? I currently am doing a full back up from 45GB to BD25 which usually still looks amazing in BD-Rebuilder, just wondering if it'll be the same in DVDFab.
    DVDFab is a really good tool that allows you to do many things. However, it can't even hold BDRB's jock strap as far as your needs are concerned.

I would edit your post as the movie you listed has not even hit the shelves in the US yet. I'm sure when it does, people will be happy to help you with that particular title.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Its not really the problem involving the movie, just want to know how DVDFab stacks up to BD-Rebuilder.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well it seems that I need to use DVDFab here anyway.

During the process of the bluray copying I often get fabcore.exe has stopped working. When I click X on that the copying still continues. I just need to know if the copying is still working while that "Fabcore.exe has stopped working" window is up. So if I were to let the copy go all night will it stop if that message comes up?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    quality of BDRB is far above DvdFab...Fab's function in the BR encoding world is of a novice to say the least. It would need quite a bit of time to catch up to BDRB's headstart and would need lots of input from users to get all the quality settings and filters that BDRB has.

I don't knwo many that use it for BR stuff...mainly ripping dvd's/br's to the hdd and maybe compressin a dvd to 5
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    BDrebuilder is the best when it works for what I use, I did try Fab but it took about 12 hours and BDrebuilder takes about 2 1/2 hours depending on the size of disk, I did try VSO Bluray Converter Ultimate which only does the main movie and only converts to DVD5 an DVD9 and the picture in my opinion was great, Sure would like to know how you got that movie already because it doesn't hit the shelves untill March 20th.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tarzan54 View Post
    BDrebuilder is the best when it works for what I use, I did try Fab but it took about 12 hours and BDrebuilder takes about 2 1/2 hours depending on the size of disk, I did try VSO Bluray Converter Ultimate which only does the main movie and only converts to DVD5 an DVD9 and the picture in my opinion was great, Sure would like to know how you got that movie already because it doesn't hit the shelves untill March 20th.
    I run a review column for a vintage theater called the Weinberg Center in Frederick, MD. I am frequently sent review copies of movies still showing or soon releasing for purchase. Most of the time I get the disc with a placeholder printed case but I occasionally I get the final item.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Could somebody help me here with these instructions:

"1) Demux the blu-ray via eac3to, the video track can be demuxed straight to MKV.
    What do I use to do this? MeGUI?

2) Create a very simple Avisynth script
    I don't even know how to do this.

Code
    DirectshowSource("your MKV file" )
    How exactly will the directory look in this code? A better example?
    (or you can use ffvideosource() instead, if you have FFMS2 installed)

3) Drag and drop the script to MeGUI and choose the output file as raw (.h264/.264 extension)

4) Select "Target Playback Device" = Blu-ray, choose automatic 2pass, type in the bitrate that BDR calculated for you (see BDR log). Select very slow preset (or tune as needed if you have any knowledge on x264, but be careful not to screw up the blu-ray-compatible profile).

5) Once the encode is done mux it together with the demuxed audio and PGS subs to a Blu-ray disk file structure via tsmuxer.
    Using MeGUI correct?
    6) Burn the Blu-ray folder structure with ImgBurn as Blu-ray (not as a file) to a BD25 media."
    Quote Quote  
  9. I think you're going off on a tangent. The problem may be with the source:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1477008#post1477008

First thing I'd try is to run AnyDVDHD or DVDFabPasskey in the background and see if I could extract the main movie correctly with Clown_BD. If that works, joining the m2ts files (if there are more than one) for the main movie would tend to confirm the problem lies with the structure of the disc.

Alternatively, there may be new protection on the US version of this disc, so my advice would be the same: use a different decrypter, latest version mind you, and try to extract main movie with Clown_BD. Play the output a few seconds here and there throughout the movie to see if the audio/video sync is okay. Then try re-encoding with BDRB.

All the above assumes you're configured correctly. Have you run inspect.exe (in the BDRB folder) to verify?
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  10. I endorse all the above who praise BD Rebuilder over DVDFab. There was a time in the distant past when DVDFab did what it claimed. All that came to a grinding halt recently and the constant, nagging message "Fabcore has stopped working" has driven me to the door of the bug house.

Always one to trust paid programs over freebies, I persisted with clean installs of DVDFab until frustration drove me to dementia. Then, I took the advice herein and tried BD Rebuilder, associated with IMGBurn. I have never looked back.

I use BD Rebuilder to re encode "movie only" to BD-25, with the option of automatically converting to an ISO file via IMGBurn. I then use Roxio to commit the copy to a BD-RE 25.

WhatcanItellya? Never a dud!

My grateful thanks to all in this forum who put me on the right track.
    Quote Quote