VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Child of God
    Search Comp PM
    I think I've seen the answer to this before, but can't find it now for the life of me. MTR 4 is the newest version of MacTheRipper, right? Furthermore, isn't this version able to beat bad sectors and other DVD-ripping problems? The thing is, this version costs money, right? How do I go about getting it if this is so?

Also, if there's a better option than MTR that is free or about as expensive, please let me know.
    "They will walk after the LORD, He will roar like a lion; indeed He will roar and His sons will come trembling from the west." - Hosea 11:10
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I think you have to register at http://www.ripdifferent.com/mtr/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=467 to get it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Jeikobu View Post
    Also, if there's a better option than MTR that is free or about as expensive, please let me know.
    You may want to check out these alternatives:
    Quote Quote  
  4. Child of God
    Search Comp PM
    Do either of those overcome deliberate bad sectors and other problems?
    "They will walk after the LORD, He will roar like a lion; indeed He will roar and His sons will come trembling from the west." - Hosea 11:10
    Quote Quote  
  5. Child of God
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Case View Post
    You may want to check out these alternatives:
    Do you recommend one of these more highly than the other? I contacted MTR and they want at least $40 it sounds like, while either of these you've recommended are only half that price, so if these take care of bad sectors and other ripping issues, I'd much rather choose the cheaper option.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Do you recommend one of these more highly than the other?
    No recommendation from me, sorry. But both can be demoed before purchase. MacUpdate's comment section has some useful posts about these tools.

Originally Posted by Jeikobu
    if these take care of bad sectors and other ripping issues...
    None of the three tools claim a 100% success rate. But all try to keep up with the latest hurdles in c.p. on new titles, mostly based on user feedback.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Child of God
    Search Comp PM
    Looks like RipIt is just for 10.5. I have 10.4. Do you know of an older version? I've looked but haven't seen anything that indicates so.

I'm sampling Mac DVDRipper, my only complaint is a comment on the download page where someone says he thinks it's tied to Google, and I'm on a Google boycott for several reasons, including the way they take and use our information.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Jeikobu, most ripping tools have now moved out of the realm of 10.4/PPC support.
    Simply, it is far better and easier for those creating those tools to
    use 10.5 /10.6 because of the wealth of advantages that the new coding libraries
    inherent to those OS's give an app developer.

For Tiger, your last version of MTR is going to v.3.0.r14, IIRC.
    As you on a PPC G4, you wouldn't even be able to run
    the latest MTR, which is v. 4.15.

If you can't upgrade to Leopard, for whatever reason,
    then you maybe SOL, because Tiger is at EOL, for a lot of things.
    "Everyone has to learn, so that they can one day teach."
    ------------------------------------------------------
    When I'm not here, Where can I be found?
    Urban Mac User
    Quote Quote  
  9. Child of God
    Search Comp PM
    What are SOL and EOL?

Also, I'm having trouble with ripping all angles of a DVD with anything but the old MTR. I'm sampling Mac DVDRipper but the rip I made only included the first angle even though I told it to do a full rip. An acquaintance of mine has MTR 4 (on a G4 I will add, so I don't understand why you said it'll only work with OSX 10.5 and up) and I borrowed it to make some DVDs, and when I tested them, they only had one angle when they should've had two. Any reason for this or way to fix it, and if not, are there any ripping programs that will beat deliberate bad sectors but also rip all angles of the video?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    SOL==sh!t out of luck, meaning no upgrade path
    EOL== end of life, meaning the product in question is obsolete by today's standards

My fault, let me just say from what I know PPC support in MTR is current right now but may change.
    I would highly recommend having a "future proof" machine
    on hand, or at the very least, a machine capable of running leopard 10.5.8.
    Tiger support, well hell, Tiger is EOL for most manufactures of software,
    only makes sense that Tiger Support will go away soon for MTR.....

Also, if your "friend" has MTR 4.1.5, he/he should have clued you in to ripping
    via FULL ISO, which would have ripped all your streams correctly.
    And yes, 4.1.5 handles bad sectors fairly easily, I've used it plenty
    to do so....
    "Everyone has to learn, so that they can one day teach."
    ------------------------------------------------------
    When I'm not here, Where can I be found?
    Urban Mac User
    Quote Quote