VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have over 200 avi files that I want to burn on DVDs using Sony DVD Architect 3.0. Most are divX, a few are xvid. Unfortunately I was not able to directly import them to a DVDA project and after reading up on this I found out that DVD architect does not "like" divx and it won't import xvid at all. OK, I then decided to convert all files to mpg (some need editing anyway) using Sony Vegas 6. However, I can't even import divx files into Vegas! Only the audio content is shown in the timeline. I do have the Divx 5.x codec installed and I did verify with GSpot that the avi files I'm trying to work with are indeed divx (Version 4).

1) Is this a general problem with Sony Vegas or do I have to re-install the Divx codec?

2) Is there a way to directly imort divx files into DVD Architect without converting them to mpeg first.

3) How can I batch convert all my avi files to a format that DVD architect "likes" without compromising video quality.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Vegas does not like VBR Mp3 audio, which will be why you can get the video into Vegas 6, but not the audio track. Save the audio out as uncompressed wav using virtualdub, then load this as the audio. A lot of programs have problems with VBR MP3 audio - either they won't play it at all, or they produce incorrect timings and sync problems.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. No, it's the other way around, only the audio shows up in the Vegas timeline, but not the video. I DO have the Divx codec installed (Dr. Divx 5.x), and I can play the files in the DivX-Player (or in Winamp), but neither Vegas nor DVD Architect will imort any of the Divx files correctly. I guess I have to reinstall a DivX codec, I will probably install K-Lite Full, hopefully that will take care of it. If someone has a better solution, I appreciate any help.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm in the same situation. Right now I'm thinking it would be best to convert the files to an avi format that Vegas can handle better. I'm not sure what tool to use for the conversion though.
    Quote Quote  
  5. uninstall Xvid if you have it installed.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Actually, the solution to this problem was to merely change the fourcc code of the avi files to "DIVX" (all caps) using avic.exe (small freeware program). Sony Vegas and DVD-Architect won't recognize any avi files undless fourcc is "DIVX", even if it's a xvid, doesn't matter.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'd had an Xvid encoded avi file with vbr mp3. audio
    I used to play it back using vlc or media player classic with ffdshow.
    vegas7 didn't want neither the video nor the audio.
    I changed the fourcc codes from Xvid to DIVX: no change
    I installed DivX 5.0.5:no change
    I uninstalled XVid: Vegas imported the video no problem, even with fourcc Xvid
    vbr mp3 audio is not imported and needs to be extracted and converted to uncompressed .wav with virtualdub to be separately imported into vegas.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Install K-Lite Codec Pack, bye.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by mltwitz View Post
    Actually, the solution to this problem was to merely change the fourcc code of the avi files to "DIVX" (all caps) using avic.exe (small freeware program). Sony Vegas and DVD-Architect won't recognize any avi files undless fourcc is "DIVX", even if it's a xvid, doesn't matter.
    nope tried that,

will this k-lite codec thingy help?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordyfan View Post
    Originally Posted by mltwitz View Post
    Actually, the solution to this problem was to merely change the fourcc code of the avi files to "DIVX" (all caps) using avic.exe (small freeware program). Sony Vegas and DVD-Architect won't recognize any avi files undless fourcc is "DIVX", even if it's a xvid, doesn't matter.
    nope tried that,

will this k-lite codec thingy help?
    Do you enjoy re-installing Windows ? If so, go for it. If not, stop trying to use a pro editing tool with toy video.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by victorstaley View Post
    Install K-Lite Codec Pack, bye.
    Another first-time poster spewing STUPID all over the place.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Dont go over board on this ... its a colorspace problem between sony and them xvid encoded files.

Simply install HuffYUV ... open the problem clip in vdub ... set audio to direct stream copy ... set video compressor to HuffYUV ... save as new avi ... this runs pretty quickly.

Remember 5000 frames output will use up some space ... roughly around 2 gig.

You can then bring this into sony vegas without any issues ... unless you want to stick with yuv encoded files
    Quote Quote