VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi all. I have some MKV files which are full 1080p with DTS but I'm finding that streaming them to the PS3 or my BluRay player the network is just too slow and they keep stuttering or buffering. Which would be the best format to convert these to with minimal quality loss that would stream a lot smoother? I have no problems streaming AVI's, MP4's etc but surely these will have too much loss?

My hardware is wired too, not wireless but still not streaming fast enough.

Thanks in advance!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What programs do you use to stream? Are you using a nas or a computer? If you are using a computer what program are you using to stream it?

Some programs to try include:

ps3mediaserver
    playon
    tversity

these can transcode on the fly.

Also you wouldn't necessarily need to change the format (by the way mkv is just a container - you probably have h264 video inside it). What you would do to lighten the payload would be to reencode to 720p and standard dts or ac3 (to lighten the file - hd audio is HUGE - standard def audio in my opinion is more then sufficient).

ripbot264 is one program to look into to reencode the files.

Ideally you should rerip the original disc and encode directly from that to 720p to get the best quality possible. However that will be time consuming and take up more space edit - I mean take up more space for the whole process of ripping the disc then encoding the new file - you can adjust the bitrate to make sure the final file size is lower than your current file size - plus using sd audio will help reduce the total file size as well. You CAN encode from the file you have on hand but you won't get as good of a result as if you started with the original source.
    Last edited by yoda313; 29th May 2012 at 11:05.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm using PS3mediaserver and as far as I'm aware of it's h264 video. I will have a look at ripbot and see if re-encoding to 720 helps at all. Thanks very much.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Makka View Post
    I'm using PS3mediaserver and as far as I'm aware of it's h264 video. I will have a look at ripbot and see if re-encoding to 720 helps at all. Thanks very much.
    you might want to look at the settings in ps3mediaserver. I haven't streamed in awhile so I'm not well versed in its options.

There might be some settings in there to improve the stream.

Also it might depend on how powerful your computer is. I'm not sure what the recommended requirements are for your computer power to do 1080p streaming reliably is.

One other note if you are doing heavy internet surfing while streaming that may impact your bandwidth as well. I'm not sure it does but I'd take note if you were downloading a bunch of files or something and thats when it stutters.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  5. I have 2 PC's set up for streaming. One of them does struggle with 1080p MKV files, where the video will get slower and slower but the audio continues on fine. The other plays them perfectly with no problems at all, but both struggle with streaming so I'm thinking it's just a network thing. I will have a play with PS3mediastreamer and see if there's anything I can change. I'm pretty new to all this stuff though.

Thanks very much for your help.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by makka
    Thanks very much for your help.
    You're welcome.

Originally Posted by makka
    One of them does struggle with 1080p MKV files, where the video will get slower and slower but the audio continues on fine. The other plays them perfectly with no problems at all, but both struggle with streaming so I'm thinking it's just a network thing.
    Is the one that seems to play better a stronger computer? That might be a bigger part of it.

Do a test with 720p and see if that helps.

Unfortunately I'm not a network guru so I can't help there. But since you are wired you have the best possible scenario. I'd suggest going to a gigabit setup but that won't help for the ps3 as far as I know that is a plain old 100 lan connection. As I assume most networkable bluray players are as well. THere might be something from oppo that might be a gigabit lan bluray model.

If its feasible you might try connecting your best computer directly to either the ps3 or the bluray player and try to eliminate your network as a variable. If it plays better without anything inbetween (Ie connect your lan cable directly between the two - no router) then it might be your network setup. It could be a new router might be in order. But check everything else first.

Check the settings with the streaming software and try 720p files to test out the setup more thoroughly. Also try using standard def audio instead of hd audio - it should lighten the bandwidth needed.

Good luck.
    Quote Quote