VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello.

I was sent an .sst file to add to a DVD. I added it to Muxman but Muxman doesn't seem to acknowledge that there's a file there. It acts as if I haven't loaded a file.

Would the problem be likely to be the file itself, or something to do with Muxman?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    .SST files depend on a set of bitmap files.

If all you have is a .SST without the respective .BMPs, then it's useless.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Oh, I'm sorry. I forgot to mention that I do have the .bmp files as well.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Muxman is specific as to the kinds of BMPs it uses. 4-bit color, among other things. And open the SST in Notepad and check if everything is in order. Maybe the path needs changing if they came from someone else?
    Would the problem be likely to be the file itself, or something to do with Muxman?
    The file, definitely. Is there anything in the Muxman log about it? Probably not if it never loaded them.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Muxman is specific as to the kinds of BMPs it uses. 4-bit color, among other things. And open the SST in Notepad and check if everything is in order. Maybe the path needs changing if they came from someone else?
    The file, definitely. Is there anything in the Muxman log about it? Probably not if it never loaded them.
    I've opened the file in Notepad and corrected the path. It still won't open properly in Muxman.
    What in particular should I be looking for when viewing the file in Notepad?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Sorry, by file I meant both the SST and the BMPs. I wasn't clear. You asked if it was the file or Muxman. I've made SST subs with Muxman over 1000 times, so I know if they're prepared properly it has no problems. If the SST itself is OK, then I'd next suspect the BMPs. What size are they in KB, each one? Or maybe you know another way to tell if they're 4 or 8-bit. And what resolution are they?

Or get the original SSA file from your friend, the one used to make the SSTs, and make them yourself. Does this fellow know what he's doing? Or give the SSA file to me and I'll make them for you.
    Last edited by manono; 9th Mar 2014 at 02:50.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Sorry, by file I meant both the SST and the BMPs. I wasn't clear. You asked if it was the file or Muxman. I've made SST subs with Muxman over 1000 times, so I know if they're prepared properly it has no problems. If the SST itself is OK, then I'd next suspect the BMPs. What size are they in KB, each one? Or maybe you know another way to tell if they're 4 or 8-bit. And what resolution are they?

Or get the original SSA file from your friend, the one used to make the SSTs, and make them yourself. Does this fellow know what he's doing? Or give the SSA file to me and I'll make them for you.
    No problem. The .bmp files are 337 kb.

He does know what he's doing, but I'll mention this to him in case.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by architectofpain View Post
    He does know what he's doing...
    You sure about that? I just did a test making some PAL SSTs (I'm in NTSC land) and each BMP is 202KB and 720x573. Yours aren't 4-bit and that's the reason the subs aren't being accepted by Muxman. I'll assume he used MaestroSBT to make the subs and the screen where you choose the kind of bitmaps to use should look something like the picture below:
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	SSTPic.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	23980  

Quote Quote  
  9. Mine should be NTSC (I'm in a PAL country but the DVD itself is NTSC).

Is it possible to somehow go backwards and/or redo it or would I need the .ssa file from him?
    Quote Quote  
  10. OK, that makes sense then, because I continued testing and the 8-bit PAL BMPs were 404KB.

There's probably a program that can do a bulk change from 8-bit to 4-bit color (IrfanView?), but if there is someone else will have to advise. If you know your way around picture editors then that might be the way to go. Otherwise I think it might be easier to get the file from him, or ask him to make another SST for you. There are some guides around here:

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/349322-Best-way-to-convert-MKV-to-DVD-with-nice-loo...=1#post2187974

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/319972-Test-sup-files?p=1982301&viewfull=1#post1982301
    Quote Quote