VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I am considering getting a new Projection TV to replace the old tv. The Panasonic PT-56LCZ70 caught my eyes, I noticed it at a review site:
    http://reviews.cnet.com/projection-tvs/panasonic-pt-56lcz70/4864-6484_7-32306514.html?...8196&tag=uolst
    A decent deal the lowest price I can find for it is $997:
    Has anyone had it? How it works?
    I've always heard that Panasonic is the way to go. I would like to stay under $1200. Any advice?? Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Didn't I just read that they are dropping the projection tv line to concentrate on flat panels? Hold on a bit they may be mass dumping them soon.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    SONY just announced they're no longer going to manufacture rear projection TV sets. They're going to focus on LCD TV's. Instead of getting a rear projection like the PANASONIC model you posted invest your money into a LCD or PLASMA TV. Those rear projection sets have to have the bulbs changed every 2 years and they're very costly at about $200 a pop.
    Quote Quote  
  4. There are a lot of people that aren't even getting 2 years out of the bulbs. Those bulbs lose 25% of their brightness in the first 500 hours. A plasma isn't even broken in until 200 hours. RPTVs may be cheaper up front, but you'll pay a lot more over the life of the TV. According to CR, LCD and plasma have 3% breakdowns in the first 3 years, RPTVs have 18% in 3 years.
    Quote Quote