VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. 1. If I convert from 6 channels to 2 channel stereo audio, will I hear "surround sound" in both ears, or is all the audio (sound effects, dialogue, soundtrack) from the 6 channels being combined into both the 2 channels?

2. Also, if my audio is already compressed in either AAC 2 channel stereo and/or AC-3 6 channel surround, and I choose "Uncompressed PCM" as my audio codec for output and then when the audio is re-encoded again into Dolby Digital Recording, in Windows DVD Maker, am I hearing the original "Compressed" audio (AAC/AC-3) or "Uncompressed PCM" audio (No Compression in VirtualDub AVI output) when the burned DVD-video disc is being played back in a DVD player connected to a TV?

Edit: I forgot to add these links I found on what audio technology that Windows DVD Maker uses to encode audio information for DVD's:

http://www.experts123.com/q/what-technology-does-windows-dvd-maker-use-to-encode-audio...-for-dvds.html

http://www.theithelpdesk.co/cd-dvd-and-optical-drive-issues-how-to-burn-a-dvd-video-di...rmation-to-it/
    Last edited by JackSpicer0; 7th Feb 2014 at 00:14. Reason: Forgot to add for information to post/thread
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You will lose all the sound effects and have just stereo sound.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by JackSpicer0 View Post
    1. If I convert from 6 channels to 2 channel stereo audio, will I hear "surround sound" in both ears, or is all the audio (sound effects, dialogue, soundtrack) from the 6 channels being combined into both the 2 channels?
    It depends on how the conversion is done. Some programs will simply toss the extra channels. Some will use phasing and equalizing tricks to simulate surround sound. For example, listen to the Virtual Barbershop demo (with headphones):

http://qsound.com/demos/virtualbarbershop_long.htm

Note, that's not a 6 channel to 2 channel conversion, just a demonstration that you can create fairly convincing surround effects with only two channels.

Originally Posted by JackSpicer0 View Post
    2. Also, if my audio is already compressed in either AAC 2 channel stereo and/or AC-3 6 channel surround, and I choose "Uncompressed PCM" as my audio codec for output and then when the audio is re-encoded again into Dolby Digital Recording, in Windows DVD Maker, am I hearing the original "Compressed" audio (AAC/AC-3) or "Uncompressed PCM" audio (No Compression in VirtualDub AVI output) when the burned DVD-video disc is being played back in a DVD player connected to a TV?
    You're hearing the earlier compressed AAC or AC3 audio. Think of it this way: playing a compressed audio source involves first decompressing it to uncompressed PCM, then sending the uncompressed PCM to the card. So the fact that you're decompressing the audio to uncompressed PCM and saving it that way is no different than what happens when you simply play the original AAC/AC3 audio.
    Last edited by jagabo; 7th Feb 2014 at 13:37.
    Quote Quote