VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I have a friend who uses an older handi-cam, palmcorder (whatever it is called) and records the video on DVD mini-disc. She would like to compile all of the mini discs into one regular DVD and send to relatives. The recorded medium on the disc is video.ts.

My question what is the better/best authoring DVD software for her to compile/edit/create a single regular size DVD for her collection of these mini DVD's?

thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    I read your tips and tricks guide for doing this and I have DVDFab but looking to pick the brains here for a possibly better or easier program?

thanks again
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    First step would be to create a new folder on the computer.
    Inside that folder create a new folder for each mini-dvd.
    All you need to do is Copy & Paste the VIDEO_TS folder from each mini-dvd since homemade DVDs are not copy protected(no need for DVDFab).
    Quote Quote  
  4. I like to use TMPGenc DVD Author to do that. It's not free, but it works very well, doesn't re-encode anything, has basic editing and pretty advanced menu creation abilities (though it's not very obvious). The latest version is called TMPGEnc Authoring Works, it's a bit pricey and for the same money you can get Sony Movie Studio or Premiere Element. Both are more capable editors, but I'm not sure about the re-encoding bit. Actually all your friend wants to do is author a DVD from several other DVD's, so the ability to edit might not be that important. In this case DVDAuthorgui would be fine, it's free and here's a guide for it. These are the most popular programs, there are other options.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    My friend added a new twist, she wants to incorporate some pictures as well into the final product! So the software I'm looking for (she needs) will need to be able to assimilate DVD video.ts and pictures, (mpg, GIF, etc.) for the final DVD creation!
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    TMPGEnc Authoring Works will do what you want as nic2k4 has already posted.It's the easiest but you gotta buy it,you can use the trial version first to see if it fits the bill.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by pclaptop View Post
    My friend added a new twist, she wants to incorporate some pictures as well into the final product! So the software I'm looking for (she needs) will need to be able to assimilate DVD video.ts and pictures, (mpg, GIF, etc.) for the final DVD creation!
    If we're talking about a slideshow she can use DVD slideshow GUI to generate DVD files that she can add along with the camcorder footage. The program is also free, but as with most freeware the level of complexity and hoop jumping increases every time you try to do more than basic things. If this is not a one time job TMPGEnc Authoring Works is worth the expense.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    thanks gentlemen
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    one question nic2k4 the DVD slideshow GUI will that proggie incorporate video/ts clips along with the pics?
    Quote Quote  
  10. No, all it does is turn a series of pictures into a slideshow and output ready to burn DVD files. She would then add that slideshow to the rest of her camcorder footage in DVDauthorGUI.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    thanks again for your replies
    Quote Quote