VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all,

My computer has K-Lite Codec Pack and XviD4PSP. I used XviD4PSP to convert a DVD to an avi file, and it cannot be played back if I uninstall the K-Lite.

So could you please help me how can I convert a DVD to a single and normal avi file, which can be played on a normal computer (using Windows Media Player) without installing any other extra codec pack?

I prefer to use XviD4PSP as the encoder than others because I think it's free and it could bring up an excellent quality, just like the ex in this topic https://forum.videohelp.com/topic355179.html so pls help me with XviD4PSP!

One more thing, I know in XviD4PSP, there is a place to choose avi as output format, but it has up to 7 different kinds. So please help me how to choose the right one and how should I change the video/audio setting to have such a good quality?

Pls forgive me my English, thank you!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you want it to play back on a standard Windows XP install with no other codecs, then you have ot convert it to either mpeg-1, or WMV. Aside from a very small collection of basically useless alternatives, everything else needs a codec.

Best option would be to

a) ditch k-lite and every other codec pack before it ruins your system
    b) install either FFDShow, or VLC or The KM Player for playback
    c) Convert to AVI (Hardware) in Xvid4PSP, which is Xvid tuned for standalone player playback
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for answering, but I still remember one time I could open an avi file by using WMP without installing anything, so there is really no way to do that, I just want it to be an avi format.

The K-Lite, is there anything bad with it, I have used it some months ago and it include the FFDShow also, so should I remove it and install only the FFDShow?

Thanks for suggesting me using the AVI Hardware option, but why there are some many other options in it? Is AVI Hardware used for playing back on computer?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    AVI Hardware is specifically designed for playback in standalone DVD recorders that are Divx certified or support mpeg-4 (ASP) playback. Yes, it will playback on a PC that has Xvid installed.

There is a very small range of codecs for the avi container installed with windows, and they are, frankly, rubbish. They compress poorly and are not much use unless you are happy with large file sizes or low resolution.

WMV is the standard for Windows out of the box playback. Mpeg-1 has the widest adoption for no-codec-required playback.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote