VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm trying to watch a movie (Qayamet Se Qayamet Tak) which was ripped into two files. I found subtitles for both parts. Unfortunately, the last 18 lines of part 1 are in the subtitle file for part 2, at the very beginning. It looks like either the .srt or the .avi was just split in the wrong place, or something. I've edited the .srt files to move the misplaced 18 lines back to part 1, but I can't get the timing right.

When I first edited the .srt files I simply copied the first 18 lines of part 2 into the .srt for part 1, and created time codes for the newly added lines by adjusting the time codes that were in the .srt for part 2. (For instance, the first of the 18 lines starts at 00:00:02,098 in .srt 2. I moved the line into .srt 1 and added 00:00:02,098 onto the time of the last line into .srt 1.) This strategy failed, and now I'm turning to you. Hopefully one of you can help me.

Thanks in advance!
    Haiku's creator
    Must have had seven fingers
    On his middle hand
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If using Subtitle Workshop, pretty easy to resync a few lines like that.
    Read its manual on how to adjust times.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    AlanHK, thanks very much for the reply. Unfortunately, Subtitle Workshop is Windows-only, and I'm running Ubuntu. Any ideas for another program that would help?
    Haiku's creator
    Must have had seven fingers
    On his middle hand
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    How did the srt not work after adding the lines and editing the timecode?If the last line on srt 1 was say 567 for axample,then the next following lines have to start with 568,569.... so if they werent changed and still have 1,2 3 then it will confuse the order to be displayed.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Tinkering
    (For instance, the first of the 18 lines starts at 00:00:02,098 in .srt 2. I moved the line into .srt 1 and added 00:00:02,098 onto the time of the last line into .srt 1.) This strategy failed
    What does "failed" mean?

Didn't work at all, or just the wrong timing?

Also the offset should be more than "02,098 " from the last subtitle.
    You should find the exact duration of the first video and add 02,098 to that.

Also the subtitle numbers should increment by one each time.

Subtitle Workshop fixes up details like that, but you can do it in a text editor with patience.

Post in the Linux forum (https://forum.videohelp.com/linux-f19.html) to ask about suitable software, or see https://www.videohelp.com/tools/sections/linux-video-tools. That lists Jubler, which I've never used, but looks like it will do the job.
    Quote Quote