VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a commercial DVD for which I want to extract the only existing subtitle, translate to another language and mux it back. I have read the guides here on how to extract and mux it back but have a few newbie questions:

1- what is the recommended subtitle format to extract for editing: image-based or text-based?
    2- can I edit an image-based subtitle (to translate)?
    3- what is the recommended tool for translation - one where I could copy the timings from the original subtitles and see both at the same time (side by side perhaps)?

Thank you.

PS: There is no subtitle available on the web for this movie to download.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    1. Text-based.
    2. I haven't seen any such editor.
    3. Don't know. Check our tools subtitle section.
    Quote Quote  
  3. The root of all evil träskmannen's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    1) Text based. Definitely text based.
    2) If you manage to get all subs as separate image files you can edit them with any image editor but it is a hell of a job and not worth the time and effort. Go for a text based editor instead!
    3) Take a look at Subtitle Workshop - that's my favorite tool when translating subtitles.
    In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    1 - Text - use DVDSubedit and its OCR. Save as SRT.

2 - You can edit the bitmaps in DVDSubedit. But you don't want to do that, really.

3 - Subtitle Workshop has "translation mode" showing two subtitles together.
    Subtitle Creator has an "automatic" translation (using Google), but this would require checking and editing.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you all for the responses. Very helpful. I will try the tools mentioned.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Let's first examine exactly what a subtitle is on a DVD. A subtitle shown on your display is a bitmapped image that is stored just as that - a bitmapped image. There is NO text of the subtitle stream stored anywhere on a DVD - all you have is pictures of text.

To get to true text, all subtitle "rippers" run some sort of OCR on the images to convert the "pictures" to true text. Once you have the subtitle data as editable text, you can translate and modify the stream to your hearts content.

Once you are satisfied with your changes, you have to convert the text back to "pictures" , then mux the stream back into the DVD.
    ICBM target coordinates:
    26° 14' 10.16"N -- 80° 16' 0.91"W
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you want to translate your subtitle "by hand", you can directly translate the bitmaps without converting them. Extract the subtitles as .sup or .sub/.idx. Then open SubtitleCreator and choose Tools -> Translate SUP or VobSub to SRT. And here you go.
    Be sure that in the Settings menu, under During the loading of subtitles, all options are unchecked before opening your subtitle file (save the settings).

Cheers
    Manusse
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you Manusse. I installed SC today and will try your suggestion.

Sorry for changing subjects here, but speaking of SC, when I open the DVD I only get audio, no video. I do not have PowerDVD installed and my setting is configured to "preferred by system". Could you point me to a fix?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Are you using Windows Vista or Windows XP?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Windows XP.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Could you try it without the subtitles preview first. Do to Settings and Unclick Overlay Subtitles on DVD. This should work.

Cheers
    Manusse
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It worked. But unfortunately now I cannot check the subtitles against the video. Is it only with powerDVD that I can have both, subtitle and video, together?

Thank you.
    Quote Quote