VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My television only has one HDMI input and 2 component video inputs. My cable box has DVI and component outputs. I have found the DVI output better but I would like to use the HDMI input for my DVD player.

Anyone ever use a DVI to component video cable? I'm half thinking of trying this but is the reason the DVI output looks better because it is feeding a "digital" input?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ajcstr
    My television only has one HDMI input and 2 component video inputs. My cable box has DVI and component outputs. I have found the DVI output better but I would like to use the HDMI input for my DVD player.

Anyone ever use a DVI to component video cable? I'm half thinking of trying this but is the reason the DVI output looks better because it is feeding a "digital" input?
    There is no DVI to component cable. DVI is digital YCbCr. Component is analog YPbPr. Use digtal for one device and analog component for the other or buy a passive or active HDMI switch.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    From JJ's article on HDTV Repeaters: http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_11_4/gefen-hdtv-repeater-10-2004.html

DVI is an 8 bit RGB signal, while HDMI can be 8 bit RGB, or 8 bit, 10 bit, or 12 bit YCbCr. If you have a DVI source and DVI display, there will be no problem. If you have a DVI source and an HDMI display, again, no problem. If however, you have an HDMI source and a DVI display, the below-black video information may be lost in the translation. There is a bug in the Silicon Image HDMI transmitter that pops up when converting YCbCr to RGB. The HD TiVo and Pioneer 59AVi do not have this problem.

Even though source information (DVDs, HD) is all 8 bit color, if DSP is applied in 8 bit, such as in a video processor, rounding errors will toss out some of the data. On the other hand, if the data are 10 bit, such as with YCbCr, then the rounding errors don't occur. In fact, 14 - 16 bit is optimum for processing. Also, DVD data are YCbCr, and are converted to RGB in the player for the DVI output. RGB cannot represent all the data in YCbCr, and this is why the below-black information gets truncated.
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edDV

There is no DVI to component cable. DVI is digital YCbCr. Component is analog YPbPr. Use digtal for one device and analog component for the other or buy a passive or active HDMI switch.
    What is this used for then....

http://sewelldirect.com/DVI-to-Component-Adapter-Cable-15ft.asp
    C2D 6300@3.21Ghz|Vista Ultimate x64|P5B-Dlx Wifi|Transcend 4 GB 800 Mhz|XFX 8800GT 512 MB Alpha Dog Edition|Samsung 19" 940BW|1.5 TeraByte Storage|ASUS SATA DVDRW|Altec Lansing ATP5|APC 800 Smart UPS.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sam9s
    Originally Posted by edDV

What is this used for then....

The product description says

"These cables are not compatible with PC or Mac video card outputs unless specifically stated in your video card. They also do not support Y, Cr, Cb signals. If you're looking for a way to use your computer video output with your HDTV display, check out our VGA to HDTV Converter".

These are for special NonStandard devices that support such a cable.

Lets focus on what you want to do not on what that cable might be for.

You have one HDMI and two YPbPr inputs on your HDTV.
    You have a HD cable box with DVI-D and YPbPr out.
    You have a non-highdef DVD player with HDMI and YPbPr (480i/480p) out.

Your only true HD source is the cable box. Normally it would get the DVI-D to HDMI path. Your DVD player upscales to HDMI but I assume it doesn't upscale to YPbPr.

If you want HDMI for both, you need a HDMI switcher and a DVI-D to HDMI adapter cable for the cable box. These aren't cheap. There are passive and active HDMI switches. Otherwise change one of your paths to analog component YPbPr.

If your HDTV is average (e.g. 1366x768 flat panel or CRT), HD cable over YPbPr will look close to HDMI for quality. If you don't want to buy a HDMI switch, use YPbPr for cable and HDMI for DVD.

The Cablebox to HDTV cable would look like this

Usually the cable company supplies this cable (free to you).

DVI connectors carry the one or more of the following depending on the specs of the device.

DVI-D - Digital RGB or Digital YCbCr
    DVI-A - same as VGA with analog RGBHV** pins

DVI-I (as found on most computer display cards) carries pins for both DVI-D and DVI-A

**Some NonStandard devices send YPbPr over the DVI-A RGB pins. They only do this to save installing 3 YPrPr RCA connectors. That is the application for the cable you listed. The Product description should say DVI-A not DVI which most people would assume means DVI-D.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVI
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ^^mmm your explaination always is worth a read. Ok I have a 7800GT with DVI out. What is the best possible way to connect my computer to my TV having component in if DVI to component cable is not the way to go. I also have a s-video at both ends..........need to see how FARCRY, FEAR looks on a 29" HD CRT.
    C2D 6300@3.21Ghz|Vista Ultimate x64|P5B-Dlx Wifi|Transcend 4 GB 800 Mhz|XFX 8800GT 512 MB Alpha Dog Edition|Samsung 19" 940BW|1.5 TeraByte Storage|ASUS SATA DVDRW|Altec Lansing ATP5|APC 800 Smart UPS.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello .

Old topic - new question.

how about this cable ???

http://www.amazon.com/DVI-I-RCA-Component-Cable-6ft/dp/B000Q6RL9Q

Technical Details

* Connectors: DVI-I Male to (3) RCA Male( Red, Green, Blue.)
    * Designed for Satellite TV, HDTV, DVI-I Component Y/pb/ Pr video and most LCD Projectors
    * The Cable from UL 2919 listed wire Provides a Performance Monitor Connection that Maximizes Color and Imaging.
    * ucted of three individually shielded miniature 75-ohm coax cables
    * Aluminum under mold shield assists in reducing EMI/RFI interference to meet FCC
    Please note the the second line "Designed for .... DVI-I Component Y/pb/ Pr video.

Can You explain please ?

Because I would like a cable like this one to connect my ATI RX1600PRO (DVI) to the LCD Panasonic (Component)

Or this kind of cable is IDENTICAL to the other one
    and the Tech specs are "just for fun".??
    Thank You .

--------------------------
    Please excuse me ... I AM STUPID ... a real ONE ....!!!

Later in the link .....

Product Description
    This cable connects DVI device to 3RCA component RCA. 100% Shield with an Overlapped Foil and Copper Braid. The shield is continues through the connector with a 360-degree Tin Solder Joint between the Cable Braid and a Copper Foil wrap on the DVI-I Copper Shield Under Mold, Providing a Shielding Solution for a Noise-free Connection. (*)The Cable Not Support your Computer Monitor Video Port, or Y , Cr, Cb Video. Your Video Source Must Provide a YpbPr Component Video Signal form the DVI-I Video Ports to Use Cable

sorry again.

but this adapter ... wil work ?

http://www.amazon.com/Dvi-I-To-Component-Video-Adapter/dp/B000BSHHY8/ref=pd_sxp_grid_pt_1_2

thank you !
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by daunatoru
    Only if you have one of the "selected ATI video cards". From later in the link:
    it takes the component-out data from selected ATI video cards and provides analog component (YPrPb) input signals to HD
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by daunatoru
    Hello .

Old topic - new question.

how about this cable ???

Your Video Source Must Provide a YpbPr Component Video Signal form the DVI-I Video Ports to Use Cable
    Ask the manufacturer of your ATI RX1600PRO (DVI) or read your manual.

Older ATI cards switched non-standard YPbPr to the DVI-I RGB pins but required a special adapter.

Most newer cards support YPbPr from the TV port.

Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote